Low-Carb Cheesy Baked Cauliflower Tots (Video)
Low-Carb Cheesy Baked Cauliflower Tots are perfect for a bite-sized snack or serve for a delicious low-carb and Keto side dish! Use Side Dishes to find more recipes like this one.
Watch the video to see if you might like to make
Low-Carb Cheesy Baked Cauliflower Tots!
When a food idea takes off on Pinterest, it can quickly spread around the web, and I know that’s where I first saw the idea of finely chopped cauliflower made into cauliflower “Tater-Tots” that was the inspiration for these Low-Carb Cheesy Baked Cauliflower Tots. The original deep-fried Tater-Tots are one of those foods from childhood that I kept liking way into adulthood, and I love the idea of a healthier version made from cauliflower, so the minute I saw this I knew I’d be trying it.
I saw ideas for cauliflower tots that looked tasty from several other bloggers, but every recipe I found had an ingredient I didn’t want to use (like breadcrumbs, cornmeal, or flour) so I started experimenting to come up with my own version.
It took me four tries to make what I thought was a perfect recipe for Low-Carb Cheesy Baked Cauliflower Tots, with just enough cheesy taste but still a little cauliflower flavor and slightly crisp from the oven. Along the way I had to buy a Mini Muffin Pan (affiliate link) and using a One Tablespoon Cookie Scoop (affiliate link) helped me get them all the right size. Cooking the cauliflower before we chopped it in the food processor also gave a better result, and we drained the chopped cauliflower to keep the tots as crisp as we could get them.
My nephew Jake was cooking with me when I made the final keeper version of these, and although he’s definitely not a cauliflower fan, Jake kept nibbling on them until he had eaten pretty much the entire batch. And the whole time he kept commenting on how good they were, so even if your family is a little suspicious of cauliflower, you might get them to like the cauliflower tots!
How to Make Low-Carb Cheesy Baked Cauliflower Tots:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe with nutritional information.)
- Coarsely chop up 1/2 large head of cauliflower.
- Put cauliflower in a bowl, cover the bowl with cling-wrap, and microwave on high for about 2 minutes. (If there’s any water in the bottom of the bowl, drain the cauliflower before you put it into the food processor.)
- Process the cauliflower with the steel blade in the food processor until it’s finely chopped (but be careful not to over process so it’s starting to get pureed.) It should still be slightly chunky.
- Drain it again if you see any water in the bottom.
- Stir in the sharp cheddar, coarsely grated Parmesan, Almond Flour (affiliate link), Vege-Sal (affiliate link), Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), and black pepper and mix until it’s well-combined.
- Then add one egg and mix until the mixture is mostly all coated with egg.
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C.
- Spray a Mini Muffin Pan (affiliate link) with non-stick spray and use a One Tablespoon Cookie Scoop (affiliate link) to scoop out rounded scoops of the mixture and put in the muffin pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Turn each tot over and put back into the oven and bake about 15 minutes on the other side.
- Here’s how they looked after the second 15 minutes of baking. Serve hot.
Jake and I ate them all, but I doubt these would reheat that well, and they were definitely best right out of the oven. Enjoy!
More Cheesy Low-Carb Ideas with Cauliflower:
Cauliflower-Crust Vegetarian Pizza with Mushrooms and Olives ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Cheddar Cheese ~ Rachel Cooks
Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Low-Carb Baked Cauliflower Tortillas ~ Sugar-Free mom
Cauliflower Gratin with Sharp Cheddar and Parmesan ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Ham and Cheese Cauliflower Soup ~ Lauren Kelly Nutrition
We used Almond Flour (affiliate link), as well as Vege-Sal (affiliate link) and Spike Seasoning (affiliate link). You can substitute another all-purpose seasoning blend that tastes good with cauliflower if you don't have Spike Seasoning. Use a slightly smaller amount of regular salt if you don't have Vege-Sal. Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 28Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 76mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g
We used Almond Flour (affiliate link), as well as Vege-Sal (affiliate link) and Spike Seasoning (affiliate link). You can substitute another all-purpose seasoning blend that tastes good with cauliflower if you don't have Spike Seasoning. Use a slightly smaller amount of regular salt if you don't have Vege-Sal.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Low-Carb Cheesy Baked Cauliflower Tots are great for most low-carb diet plans, including Keto. Cauliflower is also a perfect low-glycemic food for the South Beach Diet, and with the use of reduced-fat cheese these Cauliflower Tots would be a perfect snack or side dish for any phase of the diet. Use full-fat cheese for Keto or low-carb diets.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Side Dishes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.