Low-Carb Broccoli Cheese Breakfast Casserole
Low-Carb Broccoli Cheese Breakfast Casserole is a classic combination that tastes great, and this delicious breakfast casserole is meatless, low-carb, Keto, low-glycemic, gluten-free, and South Beach Diet phase one! Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
March is the month to feature green foods, and I have a whole recipe category for broccoli so you can tell it’s one of my favorite green foods! And even though there are endless options for Low-Carb Breakfast Casseroles on this blog, this easy Low-Carb Broccoli Cheese Breakfast Casserole is still one of the breakfast casseroles I make most often. It’s adapted from a much-loved broccoli and cheese casserole my Grandma Denny used to make. Grandma’s version was a richer dish with more cheese, mayo, and cracker crumbs, but the idea of a casserole with broccoli, cheese, and eggs is still a keeper.
The original version of this recipe made a huge broccoli and cheese breakfast casserole that made 8-12 servings, but now I’m much more likely to make the smaller version you see here. I’m partial to the three cheeses I use in the recipe, but you can substitute the same amount of any types of cheese that you prefer. I love to eat this with a squeeze of sour cream, and if you like the idea of an all-in-one breakfast dish, this recipe is a great one to try. Leftovers of Low-Carb Broccoli Cheese Breakfast Casserole will keep in the fridge for several days, and can be reheated in the microwave, and this is a classic breakfast idea that might also become one of your favorites as well.
Start by cutting broccoli into small flowerets, then blanch in boiling salted water for a few minutes and drain. Layer the cooked broccoli in the bottom of a glass casserole dish that you’ve misted with olive oil or sprayed with non-stick spray. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the broccoli, trying to get an even layer so there is cheese all through the dish.
Mix together eggs, milk or half and half, and Spike Seasoning and pour over the broccoli cheese mixture. I like to take a fork and make sure everything is evenly distributed. When it’s done the casserole will puff up slightly, sometimes even above the edge of the pan, but after it sits for a few minutes it will sink back down.
Serve hot, with little sour cream if desired. This can be kept in the fridge and reheated for breakfast all week long!
More Low-Carb Breakfast Casserole Recipes:
Low-Carb Mushroom and Feta Breakfast Casserole ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Crock-Pot Mexican Breakfast Casserole ~ Sugar-Free Mom
Roasted Green Pepper and Tomato Breakfast Casserole with Feta and Oregano ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Low-Carb Spaghetti Squash Breakfast Casserole ~ All Day I Dream About Food
Bobbi’s Low-Carb Breakfast Casserole with Egg, Cheese, and Green Chiles ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Zucchini, Egg, and Goat Cheese Breakfast Casserole ~ The Perfect Pantry
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
More About Breakfast Casseroles:
Before you make this you may wish to read Basic Instructions for Low-Carb Breakfast Casseroles which has instructions for various sizes of pans and ingredient options for this type of breakfast casserole.
Low-Carb Broccoli Cheese Breakfast Casserole
This is a classic breakfast casserole with eggs, broccoli, and three kinds of cheese!
- 12 eggs, beaten with a fork
- 2 T milk or half and half (probably optional)
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning (Or use any all-purpose seasoning that’s good with eggs.)
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- (You can also use 3/4 cup of any grated cheese that you prefer.)
- Optional: sour cream for serving
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 375 degrees. Spray a glass casserole dish with nonstick spray. (I use 7.25 X 11.25 inch pan for this size, but it can be a little larger if you don’t have that size.)
- Cut broccoli into flowerets about 1 inch across.
- Put broccoli into pot with enough water to cover and bring to a boil. As soon as the water boils and broccoli turns bright green (less than 5 minutes) immediately drain broccoli into colander.
- While broccoli cools, break eggs into mixing bowl. Add milk or half and half, Spike seasoning, and black pepper and beat eggs until ingredients are well combined.
- Put the well-drained broccoli into casserole dish. Sprinkle cheeses over broccoli.
- Pour eggs over broccoli-cheese, then use a fork to gently stir so that broccoli and cheeses are evenly distributed throughout the eggs.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes, or until top is slightly browned and eggs puff up slightly.
- Serve hot, with sour cream if desired.
- This will keep in the fridge for several days and can be reheated in the microwave or in a hot frying pan.
You can read more here about Spike Seasoning if you’re not familiar with it.
This recipe was created by Kalyn, with memories of Grandma Denny’s Broccoli Cheese Casserole. You can find the original version that makes 8-12 servings here.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This breakfast casserole would be perfect for any low-carb or Low-Glycemic eating plan. For the South Beach Diet, low-fat cheese is recommended.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.