Bread Machine Recipe for 100% Whole Wheat Bread with Oats, Bran, and Flax Seed
This Bread Machine Recipe for 100% Whole Wheat Bread with Oats, Bran, and Flax Seed makes one of my favorite bread machine breads, perfect for a cold February day! And this bread like 100% whole wheat flour, oats, and minimal sugar is South Beach Diet Phase Two, low-glycemic, vegan, and dairy free! Use the Easy to Cook Index to see more like this one.
I spent weeks on a quest to create South Beach Diet friendly bread using my Oster Bread Machine (affiliate link), and this Bread Machine Recipe for 100% Whole Wheat Bread with Oats, Bran, and Flax Seed was the winner! Previously I’d made South Beach friendly bread in the bread machine using a mix, but this time I wanted to make bread from scratch using all whole wheat flour, very minimal sugar, and a fair amount of fiber. The 100% Whole Wheat Bread you see above is the winning recipe, after seven earlier versions and a lot of helpful suggestions from bloggers, relatives, and a parent from school!
My Bread Machine Recipe for 100% Whole Wheat Bread started with White Whole Wheat Flour (affiliate link), which is a whole grain flour made from a white variety of wheat. This flour can be substituted for white flour in many recipes. (Read more about White Whole Wheat flour on the King Arthur Flour site.)You can use whole oatmeal, but I like the flavor of oats but not the look of oatmeal flakes in the bread, so I grind oatmeal in the food processor. (I keep this in the freezer and often use it in recipes instead of bread crumbs.)
Follow directions for your bread machine, but in my machine you add the liquid ingredients first. I combined the lukewarm water, agave nectar, olive oil, and a tiny bit of brown sugar before I put it in the machine. (I use the measuring spoon to stir, eliminating the need to dirty another spoon.) I mixed white whole wheat flour, ground oatmeal, wheat bran, flaxseed meal (affiliate link), vital wheat gluten (affiliate link), dough enhancer (affiliate link), and salt in advance, so it was ready to pour in as soon as I added the liquid.
When you make bread in a machine, you need to watch during the first mixing and make sure the bread forms a ball like this. Depending on the humidity where you live, you may need to add more water or flour (one tablespoon at a time) during this initial mixing. I thought this Bread Machine Recipe for 100% Whole Wheat Bread was completely a winner! Serve this tasty bread hot, of course!
More Bread Recipes with White Whole Wheat Flour:
White Whole Wheat and Oatmeal Irish Soda Bread from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Whole Wheat Greek Yogurt Banana Bread ~ Aggie’s Kitchen
Low-Sugar and Whole Wheat Pumpkin Banana Bread ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Honey Whole Wheat Rolls ~ That Skinny Chick Can Bake
100% White Whole Wheat Bread with Olive Oil ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Bread Machine Recipe for 100% Whole Wheat Bread with Oats, Bran, and Flaxseed Meal
This Bread Machine Recipe for 100% Whole Wheat Bread with Oats, Bran, and Flax Seed makes one of my favorite bread machine breads, perfect for a cold day!
Dry Ingredients – Mix in a bowl:
- 2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup ground rolled oats (oatmeal ground in a food processor, or use 1 cup whole oatmeal)
- 1/3 cup wheat bran
- 2 T flaxseed meal
- 2 T vital wheat gluten
- 1 T dough enhancer
- 1 tsp. salt
Wet Ingredients and sweeteners – Mix in measuring cup:
- 1 1/3 cup lukewarm water
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T agave nectar
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. yeast (I used Red Star Active Dry Yeast, not a special yeast for bread machines.)
- Follow directions for your bread machine.
- In my Oster Bread Machine (affiliate link) I put the liquid in first, followed by the dry ingredients I mixed in the bowl.
- Then I make a small well in the flour and put the yeast (affiliate link) in that. I used the whole wheat setting on the machine.
- Watch bread while it goes through the first mixing cycle, and if it doesn’t form a ball you may need to add either more flour or water, 1 tablespoon at a time. The dough should make a firm ball and be only slightly sticky.
- If you’re going to be taking photos of the bread for your food blog, you may want to take the dough out of the machine right before the final rise and gently fold sides under to make a loaf with a smooth top. When I didn’t do that, I still had a tasty bread but the top wasn’t as well-shaped.
- My bread machine takes 3 hours 40 minutes for the whole wheat cycle. Bread is delicious hot or cold, and also makes great toast.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Bread Machine Recipe for 100% Whole Wheat Bread with Oats, Bran, and Flax Seed is a great choice for phase 2 or 3 of the South Beach Diet. I wrote an earlier post on Choosing the Right Bread for the South Beach Diet, which might be informative. This bread is too high in carbs for traditional low-carb diets.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.