Autumn Harvest Soup with Butternut Squash and Kale
This delicious Autumn Harvest Soup with Butternut Squash and Kale has some of my favorite fall and winter ingredients, and this great Meatless Monday soup is also South Beach Diet Phase Two. Check out Soup Recipes for more tasty and healthy soups!
Sometimes recipes that just come together out of whatever’s on hand turn out to be some of my favorites, and this Autumn Harvest Soup with Butternut Squash, Kale, and Farro (or Brown Rice) is one I came up with when I had butternut squash and kale in the fridge. The secret ingredient in this soup is the Farro I’d been craving ever since I tried it in Farro with Mushrooms. The butternut, kale, and farro combination here was wonderful, but if you wanted a gluten-free version you could make this with brown rice, which would also be very tasty.
This recipe can definitely be made vegetable stock, and it would be perfect to make on the weekend and enjoy for a Meatless Monday lunch or dinner. (There are lots more meatless recipe ideas in the Index for Meatless Monday, or find them by checking Vegetarian Recipes in the recipe index. I also have a very active Meatless Monday Pinterest board with ideas from blogging friends.)
(Autumn Harvest Soup was updated with better photos in November 2014.)
If you’re using farro, start by soaking it for at least 15 minutes. If you don’t want to Peel and Cut Up a Butternut Squash, I think pre-cut squash cubes are great for soup. Cut the squash into pieces not more than 3/4 inch across. Saute the diced onion with the thyme and sage.
Add the stock to the onions and herbs and bring to a low simmer; then add the farro and simmer 10 minutes. (You can skip this extra ten minutes if you’re using brown rice.) Add the squash cubes and simmer about 30 minutes. Mash the squash a bit so some pieces will thicken the soup, then add the kale and simmer 20-30 minutes more. Stir in a little balsamic vinegar if desired, and serve hot.
This is good with a little Parmesan cheese sprinkled on at the table.
More Delicious Soups with Butternut Squash:
Ground Turkey Soup with Rice, Kale, Mushrooms, and Butternut squash ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Vegan Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup ~ 365 Days of Slow Cooking
Slow Cooker Thai-Inspired Butternut Squash Soup with Red Bell Pepper, Lime, and Cilantro ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Curried Butternut Squash and Apple Soup (Vegan) ~ The Perfect Pantry
Spicy Vegetarian Butternut Squash Soup with Black Beans, Red Bell Peppers, and Cilantro ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Autumn Harvest Soup with Butternut Squash and Kale
This delicious Autumn Harvest Soup with Butternut Squash and Kale has some of my favorite fall and winter ingredients.
- 1 cup Farro (can also use brown rice, see instructions below)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried sage (rubbed sage)
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock (I used homemade chicken stock, but you can use canned stock or stock from a carton)
- 6 cups diced butternut squash
- 4 cups chopped kale
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1-2 T balsamic vinegar (optional)
- freshly grated Parmesan for serving (optional, this soup is dairy-free without the Parmesan)
- Soak Farro in cold water 15-30 minutes. (Rice does not need soaking)
- Cut butternut squash into cubes not more than 3/4 inches across.
- Chop onion, then heat olive oil in bottom of large soup pot, add onion and saute about 5 minutes.
- Add thyme and sage and cook 2-3 minutes more.
- Add chicken or vegetable stock to the soup pot and bring to a low simmer.
- Drain Farro and add to stock, then simmer 10 minutes. (You could skip this initial ten minutes of cooking with brown rice.)
- Add butternut squash cubes and simmer about 30 minutes, or until squash is quite soft.
- Use a potato masher to mash some of the squash so it dissolves into the soup, leaving other pieces whole.
- While soup simmers, wash and chop kale.
- Add kale to soup and simmer about 20-30 minutes more. (I like the greens cooked fairly well in my soup.)
- Season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- If desired, stir in a tablespoon or two of balsamic vinegar right before you serve the soup.
- Serve hot, with freshly-grated Parmesan cheese to add at the table if desired.
I used homemade chicken stock, but you can use canned stock or stock from a carton.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
The use of butternut squash and farro would make this Autumn Harvest Soup with Butternut Squash and Kale phase two or three for the South Beach Diet. You could make a lower carb soup by making this with Cauliflower Rice, but soup with butternut squash will never be suitable for strict low-carb diets.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.