Kale and Arugula Salad
This tasty Kale and Arugula Salad is a delicious low-carb salad that will help you get your daily serving of greens. And the salad is kicked up a notch with Gorgonzola cheese!
PIN Kale and Arugula Salad to make it later!
My fondness for salads with strongly-flavored greens and cheeses is pretty well-documented on this blog, right? I’ve shown it with recipes like My Favorite Baby Arugula Salad, Arugula Salad with Feta, and Lemon Parmesan Kale Salad. So you shouldn’t be too surprised that I would love this Kale and Arugula Salad with Gorgonzola cheese.
But I know some people are going to turn their nose up at this salad with strongly-flavored greens and cheese. And you can make the salad with just one type of greens if you prefer, which is how I first made it when I created the recipe. But we loved the combination when we tested this new recipe with double greens, and dark leafy greens are loaded with health benefits! If you like these flavors this will be a healthy salad option that’s also delicious and I think this is a great side dish for a low-carb meal!
What Ingredients do you need?
- baby arugula
- baby kale
- good quality extra virgin Olive Oil (affiliate link)
- good quality Balsamic Vinegar (affiliate link)
- fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- Gorgonzola cheese
Tips for success with Kale and Arugula Salad:
This is a recipe where you’ll get best flavor if you use extra-virgin olive oil and your best balsamic vinegar, and if you’re worried about the carbs it doesn’t take much balsamic vinegar to make this taste great.
What other types of cheese can you use?
We used a generous amount of crumbled Gorgonzola, but use less cheese or another type of crumbled or grated cheese such as Feta, Parmesan, Cotija, or Queso Fresca if you prefer.
How to make Kale and Arugula Salad:
(Scroll down for complete recipe including nutritional information.)
- Wash the greens in a salad spinner (affiliate link) if needed, and spin until very dry. (Most packaged greens don’t need to be washed.)
- Crumble desired around of Gorgonzola cheese, or if you have one of those tubs of crumbled Gorgonzola you’re good to go!
- Whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and lemon juice, and toss the greens with desired amount of dressing.
- Add the Gorgonzola and toss again and you’re done. (I like to save a little Gorgonzola to sprinkle over each salad.)
More Tasty Salads with Arugula or Kale:
- Cabbage Apple Salad
- Raw Summer Squash Salad with Arugula and Feta
- Kale Taco Salad
- Kalyn’s Favorite Baby Arugula Salad
- Arugula Salad with Artichokes, Peppers, and Goat Cheese
Kale and Arugula Salad
Kale and Arugula Salad is a delicious low-carb salad that will help you get your daily greens and there's Gorgonzola cheese and just a touch of balsamic vinegar for added flavor.
- 5 oz. baby arugula
- 3 oz. baby kale
- 2 T + 1 tsp. good quality olive oil (or a little more if you taste the dressing and it seems too strong)
- 1 T good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (more or less to taste)
- Wash greens in a salad spinner (affiliate link) and spin very dry if needed. (Most packaged greens don't need to be washed.
- Crumble Gorgonzola cheese, or if you have one of those big tubs of crumbled Gorgonzola, measure out desired amount.
- Whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and lemon juice (or a little more balsamic vinegar if you're not using the lemon. Taste the dressing and add a little more olive oil if it seems too strong.
- Toss salad with desired amount of dressing, until it's as wet as you prefer. Add most of the crumbled Gorgonzola and toss again.
- Serve right away, adding a little of the remaining Gorgonzola to the top of each salad as you serve it.
This salad created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 88Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 209mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Suggestions:
This Kale and Arugula Salad is a perfect side dish for low-carb diets, low-glycemic diets, and any phase of the South Beach Diet. If you’re strictly following the South Beach Diet you may want to use a moderate amount of cheese, although Gorgonzola is lower in fat than many types of cheese.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Salads to see more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type index pages to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
26 Comments on “Kale and Arugula Salad”
Glad you are enjoying the recipes! So far only about 20 recipes have the new option (with the photo) so it shouldn’t be much of a problem until I get all the recipes moved to the new format (which will be a long time!) People were always asking me to be able to print the photo before, which is why I changed it! I can ask my web designer about it, but in the meantime on my printer page I have the option to select only black and white; do you have that?
A really good balsamic will add a bit of sweetness to the strong flavors of the greens and cheese. Sounds delicious!
Thanks Jenny, I agree that simple flavor combinations can be stunning in salads!
This looks SO good & fresh! Great for a summer day. Isn't it amazing how some of the most simple salads just taste amazing? I think it must be because you can taste the individual flavors so well. Yum! Thanks for sharing
Meathenge, how could bacon be bad in anything? Of course it would be good. (Not as SBD friendly though.)
Donna, you will love it.