Air Fryer Fish Tacos
We absolutely loved these Air Fryer Fish Tacos, and if you make the tacos with low-carb tortillas this is a quick and easy low-carb meal. We used frozen Mahi Mahi from Costco for this fish taco recipe, but use any white fish you prefer for this tasty dinner!
When Rubio’s came to my Salt Lake neighborhood years ago, right away I became a huge fan of fish tacos! And back then I didn’t care so much about carbs and I loved the Rubio’s Fish Tacos made with deep-fried fish and served with a spicy mayo dressing! And in those days I’d always eat my fish tacos with Rubio’s Pinto Beans!
Now fast forward quite a few years and I still love fish tacos, but these low-carb Air Fryer Fish Tacos would suit me a lot better now! I think this fish taco recipe has just the right ingredients to season the fish and add flavor, and you can literally make them in minutes when you cook the fish using the Air Fryer. And these fish tacos made with my new favorite low-carb tortilla have only 6.5 net carbs per taco!
Of course I realize my site already has a recipe for Salmon Tacos with Spicy Slaw and Fish Taco Cabbage Bowls, and probably some people who are experienced cooks could use the information in those two posts to make fish tacos in the Air Fryer.
But the way search engines are so demanding these days about keywords, no one would ever find this delicious fish taco recipe if they were searching on my site or on the web without having it in a separate recipe post. And that would be a shame, because these Air Fryer Fish Tacos are not to be missed!
What ingredients do you need?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Fish Fillets (we used frozen Mahi Mahi from Costco)
- olive oil
- Szeged Fish Rub (affiliate link), or other fish rub of your choice
- ground Cumin (affiliate link)
- Szeged Paprika (affiliate link) or your favorite paprika
- Garlic Powder (affiliate link)
- fresh-squeezed lime juice; I used my fresh-frozen lime juice
- Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link)
- Vege-Sal (affiliate link), or use a bit less regular salt
- green cabbage
- red cabbage
- green onion
- low-carb tortillas; we used Mr. Tortilla 2 Net Carb Multigrain Tortillas (affiliate link)
- limes for serving (optional)
Why are these Air Fryer Fish Tacos perfect for an easy dinner?
- Fish cooks perfectly in minutes in the Air Fryer.
- The fish is seasoned with an amazing blend of spices that enhance the flavor of the fish.
- This fish taco recipe uses a perfect slaw to top the fish tacos, and it’s easy to make in minutes.
- You can use coleslaw mix to skip the step of cutting up the cabbage if you prefer!
- The slaw recipe makes extra spicy mayo-lime dressing for you to add to your fish tacos at the table.
- Fish is always perfect for a healthy meal, and when they’re made with low-carb tortillas these Air Fryer Fish Tacos are a delicious low-carb meal.
What if you don’t have an Air Fryer?
If you don’t have an Air Fryer you can use the photos and description from Fish Taco Cabbage Bowls to see how to cook the fish on a stove-top grill pan (or a frying pan will work too.) You can also find instructions for grilled salmon or roasted salmon in my recipe for Maple Glazed Salmon and either of those methods could be used to cook the fish for this fish taco recipe.
What tortillas did we use to make low-carb fish tacos?
There are lots of great brands of low-carb tortillas, and if you have a brand you prefer it will work just fine to make these Air Fryer Fish Tacos! But for a while now I’ve had a huge preference for Mr. Tortilla 2 Net Carb Multigrain Tortillas when I’m making tacos, and that’s the brand we used for this recipe. (So far I can’t find them in any stores near me, so I buy them in a pack of 12 from Amazon.)
What slaw is served with the fish tacos?
For years I’ve loved my recipe for Spicy Mexican Slaw, and that’s the slaw that’s served with these fish tacos. We skipped the cilantro for this recipe, but you can add some if you’re a cilantro fan! I gave the quantities for a reduced amount to make just enough slaw for six fish tacos, but you can also use that link and make the whole recipe if your family is a fan of cabbage slaw.
Which Air Fryer did I use for the Fish Tacos?
I’ve been an Air Fryer fan ever since I discovered the Cuisinart Convection Air Fryer Toaster Oven (affiliate link) which is what I used for this recipe. This air fryer model has a larger basket which can fit plenty of food, and I find this model very easy to use. I also like having an air fryer that stays out on the counter. (You can use Air Fryer Recipes to see the other Air Fryer recipes on my site.)
My favorite Air Fryer Product:
I’ve been a devoted fan of Air Fryer Parchment Paper (affiliate link) after a reader recommended it on the Kalyn’s Kitchen Facebook Page! This is a complete game-changer for keeping the Air Fryer basket clean, and I don’t use my Air Fryer without it these days. You can see it in use in the photos below.
How to Make Air Fryer Fish Tacos:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- We used frozen Mahi Mahi, thawed in the fridge.
- Let fish come to room temperature.
- Mix fish rub, ground cumin, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Rub fish on each side with olive oil and the spice mixture.
- Whisk together mayo, fresh-squeezed lime juice, Green Tabasco Sauce, and Vege-Sal for the dressing.
- Slice cabbage and green onions; then toss slaw ingredients with about half the dressing.
- Remove basket (if your Air Fryer has that option) and preheat Air Fryer to 400F/204C.
- Line Air Fryer basket with Air Fryer Parchment Paper (affiliate link) if using.
- Put fish on parchment paper (or directly in the basket.)
- Cook fish 6 minutes, or until it feels firm to the touch.
- I love these Mr. Tortilla 2 Net Carb Multigrain Tortillas (affiliate link) that are perfect for tacos, and that’s what we used.
- While fish cooks, heat each tortilla 30-60 seconds in a hot pan.
- Put cooked fish on a cutting board and shred apart.
- Fill tortillas with pieces of fish topped with spicy slaw.
- Serve hot, with extra dressing to add at the table.
- I like to serve with extra limes to squeeze on the tacos as well!
Make it a low-carb meal:
Two of these Air Fryer Fish Tacos would be a great dinner for me, but for heartier appetites you can add something like Laurel’s Jicama Salad, Tomato Cucumber Avocado Salad, or Cucumber Salad with Balsamic Dressing.
Want more Low-Carb Air Fryer Recipes?
Check out my round-up of 100 Keto Air Fryer Recipes for more tasty dinner ideas to make in the Air Fryer!
- 3 fish fillets, about 1 lb. of fish
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 tsp. Szeged Fish Rub (see notes)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. Paprika (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 cups thinly-sliced green cabbage
- 1 cup thinly-sliced red cabbage
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 4 T fresh-squeezed lime juice (more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp Green Tabasco Sauce (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. Vege-Sal (or use a bit less regular salt)
- 6 Mr. Tortilla 2 net carb multigrain tortillas (or other tortillas of your choice)
- cut limes for serving (optional)
- Thaw fish overnight in the fridge. Take fish out of the freezer and let it come to room temperature when you're ready to make the Fish Tacos.
- Drain fish, and pat dry with paper towels if it seems wet.
- Mix the Szeged Fish Rub, ground Cumin, Paprika, and Garlic Powder to make the flavorful rub
- Then rub the fish on each side first with olive oil, and then with some of the rub mixture.
- Whisk together mayo, fresh lime juice, Green Tabasco Sauce, and Vege-Sal to make the spicy dressing. (If you're not sure how much you like these ingredients I'd start with a smaller amount of lime and Green Tabasco Sauce and then taste to see if you want more.)
- Slice cabbage and green onions (or measure out 3 cups of coleslaw mix to replace the cabbage if you prefer that option.) Then toss the slaw ingredients together with about 4 tablespoons of the dressing, or a little more if you prefer.
- Preheat Air Fryer to 400F/204C. (Remove basket when you preheat if your Air Fryer has that option.)
- Line Air Fryer basket with Air Fryer Parchment Paper (affiliate link) if using. Put fish on the parchment paper or directly in the basket.
- Cook the pieces of fish 6 minutes, or until they feel firm (but not hard) to the touch.
- While the fish cooks, heat each tortilla about 30-60 seconds in a hot pan, turning once. (I think Mr. Tortilla 2 Net Carb Multigrain Tortillas are perfect for tacos, and that's what we used for this recipe. Use whatever tortillas you prefer.)
- Put the cooked fish on a cutting board and shred apart with two forks.
- Fill each warmed tortilla with pieces of the shredded fish topped with the spicy slaw.
- Serve hot, with extra dressing to add at the table if desired. I like to serve my Fish Tacos with pieces of cut lime to squeeze on to the the tacos as well!
We used frozen Mahi Mahi from Costco for this recipe. Use any mild fish you prefer.
I'm a huge fan of Szeged Fish Rub, but use any fish rub you have if you don't have that brand.
I would use Szeged Paprika for this recipe, but use the paprika you have. Use sweet or mild paprika, not sharp.
If you want to make this easy dinner even easier, just use 3 cups of purchased coleslaw mix to replace the red and green cabbage.
This recipe created by Kalyn and Kara, and when Kara took leftovers home to her family her son Cooper loved it with gluten-free tortillas.
Serving Size:one taco
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 289Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 2.7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13.6gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 292mgCarbohydrates: 12.5gFiber: 6gSugar: 2.7gProtein: 23g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Air Fryer Fish Tacos would be a great dinner idea for any low-carb or Keto diet, or for any phase of the original South Beach Diet. South Beach would recommend light mayo for less fat. The fish tacos can also easily be gluten-free if you use gluten-free tortillas.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Tacos Recipes to see all the tacos or recipes with taco flavors on my site. Use the Diet Type Index to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.