Slow Cooker Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas (Video)
Slow Cooker Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas can easily be a low-carb meal with low-carb tortillas. And these enchiladas are so tasty!
See how to make Low-Carb Slow Cooker Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas!
These Slow Cooker Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas are a low-carb chicken enchilada recipe that I made in the Crock-Pot Casserole Crock Slow Cooker (affiliate link). And this slow cooker that’s shaped like a casserole dish was perfect for this recipe. But no worries if you want to make this in a large oval slow cooker, and use regular flour tortillas if you don’t care about the carbs! You could also bake these enchiladas in the oven using instruction from this recipe if you don’t want to use a slow cooker. Note that recipes uses bigger tortillas for 8 larger enchiladas.
But the enchiladas turned out perfectly in the casserole crock, and my brother Rand (who’s staying at my house) has been gobbling up the leftovers. Kara reported that they were definitely a hit at her house as well. I made these twice, with two different varieties of Mission Carb Balance Tortillas (affiliate link) and two different blends of cheese. I preferred Carb Balance White Tortillas and Kirkland 4-Cheese Mexican Blend Cheese, so that’s what I’ll recommend in the recipe (and the Costco Mexican Blend cheese did melt a little better than the Monterey Jack-Cheddar blend you see in these photos.)
One thing I love about the Crock-Pot Casserole Crock Slow Cooker (affiliate link) is how you can put it in a hot oven when the slow cooker is done to get a little more browning of the finished dish, but that step is completely optional.
How to Make Low-Carb Slow Cooker Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe plus nutritional information.)
- Combine the red enchilada sauce and salsa and simmer on low until it’s reduced to 2 1/2 cups.
- Shred chicken apart.
- Mix part of the sauce, sour cream, part of the cheese and the shredded chicken to make the filling.
- These are the Mission Carb Balance Tortillas (affiliate link) I used, but use any low-carb tortilla or tortilla you like.
- Lay out 10 tortillas and divide the chicken mixture among them.
- Spray the casserole crock insert with non-stick spray and spread out about 1/4 cup sauce, then roll up the enchiladas and lay them in the slow cooker.
- Spread the remaining sauce over the top of the enchiladas and top with the cheese.
- Cook on high about 2 1/2 hours, or slightly longer if they don’t seem done after that time. (I might have rushed mine a little!)
- If you’re using a slow cooker where the insert can go in the oven, you can brown the enchiladas in a hot oven for 10-15 minutes if you’d like the top more browned.
- Serve Low-Carb Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas hot, with sour cream on the side to add at the table
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
I think Spicy Mexican Slaw would be a wonderful side dish with these enchiladas for a low-carb meal.
More Low-Carb Slow Cooker Food:
Low-Carb Index ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Slow Cooker Southwestern Pot Roast ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken ~ The Perfect Pantry
Slow Cooker Green Chili Shredded Beef Cabbage Bowl ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 1/2 cup Pace Picante Sauce, medium
- 30 oz. red enchilada sauce (see notes)
- 6 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups Mexican Blend Cheese
- 10 low-carb flour tortillas (see notes)
- thinly sliced green onions, for garnish
- Put the 1/2 cup salsa and red enchilada sauce in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sauce is reduced to 2 1/2 cups, about 25-30 minutes. (Stir it a few times so it doesn’t stick on the bottom.)
- While the sauce reduces, shred the chicken apart and measure out the sour cream and cheese.
- When the sauce mixture has reduced, put the shredded chicken into a bowl and gently mix in 1 cup sauce, 1 cup sour cream, and 1 1/2 cups grated cheese.
- Lay the 10 Carb Balance White Tortillas (affiliate link) out on the counter (on cutting boards or paper towels) and divide the filling mixture among the 10 tortillas.
- Spray the Crock-Pot Casserole Crock Slow Cooker (affiliate link) with non-stick spray and spread about 1/4 cup of the sauce over the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Roll up each enchilada as tightly as you can and lay them side-by-side in the slow cooker. (You’ll have to squish them together to get all 10 enchiladas in, but it will work.)
- Spread the rest of the sauce over the top of the rolled enchiladas and top them with the other 1 1/2 cups of grated cheese.
- Cook on high for 2 1/2 – 3 hours, or until enchiladas are bubbling and the cheese is nicely melted. (If a lot of moisture gathers on the lid of the casserole crock, I remove the lid halfway and dump that liquid in the sink.)
- If you’re using the Casserole Crock you might want to brown the top of the finished enchiladas in a 400F/200C oven for 10-15 minutes but that step is completely optional. (Crock-Pot does not recommend broiling for the Casserole Crock insert.)
- Serve hot, garnished with green onions and with additional sour cream to add at the table if desired.
Extra enchiladas could be frozen, although we haven’t had any left yet to freeze. I reheat them in the microwave for about a minute, then sprinkle on some cheese and heat for a minute more. Delicious!
I made these low-carb enchiladas in the new Crock-Pot Casserole Crock Slow Cooker (affiliate link) which features a crockery insert in the shape of a casserole dish. You could make this in a large 5-6 quart oval slow cooker, but you might have to stack up the enchiladas to fit them all.
I liked Carb Balance Tortillas (affiliate link) best for this recipe, but the Whole Wheat Carb Balance Tortillas are a little lower in carbs. Use enchilada sauce with the lowest carbs; you can also use two 15 oz. can or a 28 oz. can if you find that. Mexican brands usually have the best flavor. I also like Pace Picante Sauce (affiliate link) for the salsa.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 538Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 12gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 122mgSodium: 1150mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 34g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
The South Beach Diet would recommend using low-fat cheese and sour cream for this recipe but other Low-Carb diets will prefer full-fat dairy, so take your choice on that. As long as you use low-carb tortillas and choose salsa and enchilada sauce that’s low in carbs, these Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas should be a relatively carb-conscious dish. For the South Beach Diet this would be limited to phase 2 or 3 due to the flour tortillas.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Slow Cooker Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click here for more Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!