Slow Cooker Green Chile Rice Casserole
This Slow Cooker Green Chile Rice Casserole was made in the Crock-Pot Casserole Crock, but you can use a large oval slow cooker as well! You’ll love this ultra-tasty cheesy slow cooker rice side dish that starts with cooked rice and only takes a few hours in the slow cooker.
If you’re someone who’s following a carb-conscious eating plan then this Slow Cooker Green Chile Rice Casserolewill definitely be a splurge on carbs. But I made this with lower-glycemic Ben’s Original Converted Rice (affiliate link) combined with other healthy low-carb ingredients and if I was making one of my Low-Carb Mexican Food Dinners, I might make this as a side dish for other people (and maybe eat a small serving myself if I needed a treat!)
And if you’re not familiar with it, many sources claim parboiled white rice is healthier than other types of white rice. Don’t use the *instant* versions of Uncle Ben’s, which are much higher in carbs and higher on the glycemic index. If you do decide to splurge, I hope you enjoy this slightly-spicy and cheesy rice casserole. It’s been a hit with everyone who’s tried it in my huge extended family!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- cooked long-grain white rice; I used Ben’s Original Converted Rice (affiliate link)
- green onions
- sour cream
- diced green chiles (affiliate link)
- Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link)
- grated Mozzarella cheese
- finely grated Parmesan cheese
What if you don’t have the Casserole Crock Slow Cooker?
I do love the Crock-Pot Casserole Crock Slow Cooker for dishes like this, but any kind of large oval slow cooker (affiliate link) will definitely work!
Want more ideas for Slow Cooker Rice?
- Greek Slow Cooker Rice
- Slow Cooker Rice with Sausage and Peppers
- Slow Cooker Brown Rice with Veggies and Feta
- Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice
- Slow Cooker Mexican Rice Bowls
How to make Slow Cooker Green Chile Rice Casserole:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Start with 5 cups cooked Ben’s Converted Original Rice. Thinly slice 2 cups of sliced green onions and mix them into the rice.
- Mix together sour cream, 2 cans diced green chiles with juice, Green Tabasco Sauce, and grated Mozzarella.
- Combine the sour cream mixture with the rice, and season to taste with salt and coarse ground black pepper. (I didn’t use much salt and pepper.)
- Put the mixture into the Crock-Pot Casserole Crock Slow Cooker (affiliate link) or any large oval slow cooker that you’ve sprayed with non-stick spray or olive oil.
- Then top with a little more grated Mozzarella and a few tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.
- Cook on high for about 2 hours, or until it’s bubbling hot, cheese is melted, and it’s starting to get browned on the edges. (You could probably cook this on low for a longer time, but I haven’t tried that.)
- One thing I love about the Crock-Pot Casserole Crock is that when the food is cooked through in the slow cooker, you can put it in a hot oven to brown the top, and I did stick this in a hot oven for about 15 minutes, but that step is completely optional. (I wouldn’t try that with another type of slow cooker unless you’re sure the manufacturer says it’s okay.)
- Serve hot and enjoy with your favorite Low-Carb Mexican Food!
More recipes for the Crock-Pot Casserole Crock:
- Slow Cooker Sausage and Egg Casserole
- CrockPot Sweet Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Mexican Lasagna Casserole
- Slow Cooker Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- Slow Cooker Blueberry Crisp
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 5 cups cooked long-grain white rice (see notes)
- 2 cups thinly sliced green onions
- 1 cup sour cream
- two 4 oz. cans diced green chiles (see notes)
- 2 T Green Tabasco Sauce, to taste (see notes)
- 1 1/2 cups + 1/4 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- 2 T finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Mix together cooked rice and sliced green onions in a bowl that will hold all the ingredients.
- In a separate bowl or large measuring cup, combine the sour cream, diced green chiles and juice, Green Tabasco Sauce, and 1 1/2 cups grated low-fat mozzarella cheese.
- Mix the sour cream mixture into the rice mixture and gently combine.
- Spray the Casserole Crock or a 3-4 quart oval slow cooker with non-stick spray or olive oil.
- Add the combined rice mixture and press down so it’s evenly distributed in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the top with the rest of the grated Mozzarella cheese and the Parmesan cheese.
- Cook on high for 2 hours, or until the rice is bubbling hot, cheese is melted, and it’s starting to brown around the edges. (You can probably cook this for a longer time on low, but I haven’t tried it.)
- If you're using the Casserole Crock you can put it in a hot oven for a few minute to brown the top. I don't recommend doing that in other slow cookers unless the manufacturer okays it.
- This rice will keep well in the fridge for several days and can be reheated in the microwave or in a covered dish in an oven or toaster oven.
I used a Crock-Pot Casserole Crock Slow Cooker (affiliate link) to make this recipe, but any large oval slow cooker (affiliate link) will work.No need to drain the cans of green chiles for this recipe. Use diced green Anaheim chiles, no Jalapenos! Read here for more about Green Tabasco Sauce, my favorite hot sauce. Use Uncle Ben's Converted Rice (affiliate link) for low-glycemic diets or the original South Beach Diet.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 155mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Slow Cooker Green Chile Rice Casserole is relatively high in carbs for traditional low-carb diet plans. If you’re making this for the original South Beach Diet or another low-glycemic diet, it’s important to use low-glycemic Ben’s Original Converted Rice (affiliate link) or brown rice, and South Beach would recommend reduced fat sour cream and reduced fat Mozzarella cheese. With those ingredients, this rice would be a good side dish for Phase 2 or 3 of the South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Slow Cooker Recipes to find more slow cooker side dishes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe?
This slow cooker rice casserole with green chiles and cheese was first posted in 2012. It was last updated with more information in 2023.