Slow Cooker Cauliflower Rice Greek Chicken Bowls
Slow Cooker Cauliflower Rice Greek Chicken Bowls have shredded Greek Lemon Chicken served over cauliflower rice and topped with Greek Salsa! There’s an Instant Pot version too if you prefer that method!
Have you tried Cauliflower Rice? I’m especially liking it in dishes like these Slow Cooker Cauliflower Rice Greek Chicken Bowls where the cauliflower rice gets a flavor boost from slow-cooked lemony Greek chicken and a Greek salsa mixture that’s layered over the chicken.
This is a perfect crock pot dish to start in the afternoon on a busy day. The chicken cooks in about 3 hours on high and when it’s time for dinner you make the cauliflower rice, chop the Greek salsa ingredients, and assemble the Low-Carb Greek Chicken Bowls.
The low-carb Greek Chicken can also make this a cook-once/eat-twice slow cooker recipe. The chicken can be stored in the fridge for a day or two; then you chop up more Greek salsa ingredients and make more cauliflower rice and you’ve got dinner again. And everyone who likes Greek Chicken and Greek Salad is going to love this recipe!
What ingredients do you need?
- large chicken breasts
- zest and juice of 2 lemons
- Greek Seasoning (affiliate link), check ingredients for Gluten-Free
- extra-virgin Olive Oil (affiliate link)
- Greek Oregano (affiliate link)
- fresh-ground black pepper
- frozen cauliflower rice
- green bell pepper
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- small cucumbers
- cherry tomatoes
- Kalamata olives (or black olives)
- red onion
- crumbled Feta Cheese
- Newman’s Own Classic Oil and Vinegar Dressing (affiliate link)
What if you don’t want cauliflower rice?
We also enjoyed a version where we ate the Greek chicken and salsa over zucchini noodles if you’re not sure about the cauliflower rice.
Want to make the Greek Chicken Bowl in the Instant Pot?
If you prefer to make this recipe in the Instant Pot, use Instant Pot Cauliflower Rice Greek Chicken Bowls!
How to Make Slow Cooker Cauliflower Rice Greek Chicken Bowls:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- Trim chicken and cut into strips and put them in the slow cooker.
- Then mix lemon juice and zest, Greek seasoning, olive oil, Greek oregano, and a little pepper to make the sauce for cooking the chicken.
- Pour the cooking sauce over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cook about 3 hours on high, or until chicken shreds apart easily.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker (keeping the sauce that’s in the bottom of the slow cooker.) Shred chicken, and put back in the slow cooker, stirring to get it covered with the delicious lemony sauce.
- To make the Greek-style salsa, chop up cucumbers, tomatoes, Greek olives, and red onion. Then stir together with some Feta cheese and your favorite low-sugar Italian dressing.
- To make the cauliflower rice for the bowls, chop up green pepper and onion, and use a stand grater or food processor to turn the cauliflower into small pieces (resembling grains of rice.) You can also use frozen cauliflower rice if you prefer.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan, cook the onion and pepper for a few minutes, and season the vegetables.
- Then add the cauliflower rice and cook 3-4 minutes, or until it’s starting to soften.
- Serve Greek chicken over cauliflower rice, topped with a scoop of the Greek Salsa.
- We also enjoyed the tasty chicken and salsa over zucchini noodles for a different option!
More Tasty Dinners with Cauliflower Rice:
- Cauliflower Fried Rice with Shrimp
- Ground Beef Cauliflower Rice Taco Bowls
- Coconut Milk Shrimp over Cauliflower Rice
- Buffalo Chicken Cauliflower Rice Bowl
- Middle Eastern Ground Beef Bowls
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep where you’ll find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Slow Cooker Ingredients:
- 4 large chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into lengthwise strips
- zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 1 T Greek Seasoning (Check ingredients for Gluten-Free)
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. Greek oregano
- 1/2 tsp. fresh-ground black pepper
Cauliflower Rice Ingredients:
- 2 10 oz. bags frozen cauliflower rice, partly thawed (or see below to make with fresh chopped cauliflower)
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. Greek Seasoning
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
Greek Salsa Ingredients:
- 3 small cucumbers, chopped
- 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives (or black olives)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 4 oz. crumbled Feta Cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup Newman's Own Original Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing (see note)
- Trim the chicken and cut each piece lengthwise into 2-3 strips (depending on how large the chicken breasts are.)
- Grate the zest and squeeze the juice from the lemons, then whisk the zest and juice together with the Greek Seasoning (affiliate link), olive oil, Greek oregano, and black pepper to make the cooking sauce.
- Spray the slow cooker insert with olive oil or non-stick spray, put chicken in the bottom, and pour the cooking sauce mixture over.
- Cook on high for about 3 hours, or until the chicken shreds apart easily with a fork. (If you prefer, cook the chicken about 5 hours on low.)
- When the chicken is done, use a slotted spoon to remove it to a cutting board, leaving the flavorful sauce in the slow cooker.
- Shred chicken apart with two forks, put it back in the slow cooker, and stir gently so the chicken is coated with sauce.
- Keep chicken warm on the low setting while you prep the other ingredients.
- Take cauliflower rice out of the freezer and let it thaw on the counter while you cook the chicken. You can also use 1 large head cauliflower, leaves cut off and chopped or grated or processed into "rice" sized pieces. For freshly chopped cauliflower rice, trim the cauliflower and discard the leaves. If you’re using a food processor to chop up the cauliflower into “rice,” first cut the cauliflower (including the stems) into small pieces. Then pulse the cauliflower pieces using the steel blade in the food processor until it’s finely chopped. (This recipe has good photos and instructions for doing that.)
- Finely chop the green pepper and the onion.
- Heat the tablespoon of olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat, add the green pepper and onion, and cook about 3 minutes or until the vegetables are softened and starting to brown.
- Add the Greek seasoning and cook 1 minute more; then add the chopped cauliflower and cook, turning a few times, until the cauliflower is starting to soften and brown, about 3-4 minutes. (I prefer the cauliflower rice with a little crunch to it, but you can cook longer if you want it really soft.) Season the cauliflower rice with salt and fresh-ground black pepper.
- Chop the cucumbers, tomatoes, Kalamata olives (or black olives), and red onion. Put those chopped ingredients in a bowl, stir in the 1/4 cup Italian dressing, and then gently stir in the crumbled Feta.
- To assemble the bowl, put some of the hot cauliflower rice in the bottom of a serving bowl. On top of the rice put a generous scoop of the shredded lemon chicken from the slow cooker, and then top that with a scoop of the Greek salsa mixture.
- If you have leftovers, you can keep the shredded lemon chicken in the fridge for a day or two and reheat in a pan or in the microwave. For the Cauliflower Rice and the Greek salsa mixture, I would make that fresh each time when you’re eating the leftovers.
Equipment: I used my Crock-Pot 3-1/2-Quart Slow Cooker for this recipe, but any 3-4 quart slow cooker will work. If you only have a large size crock pot, I would double the chicken part of the recipe and freeze some for later.
For the low-sugar Italian Dressing I like Newman’s Own Original Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing (affiliate link), which has only 2 carbs in 1/4 cup, but use any low-sugar vinaigrette you prefer.
This recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 278Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 1160mgCarbohydrates: 12.5gFiber: 3gSugar: 10gProtein: 24g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Every ingredient in these Slow Cooker Cauliflower Rice Greek Chicken Bowls is a good low-carb choice (although I’d check the carbs if you’re using purchased salad dressing.) This would be a great meal for all phases of the original South Beach Diet, or any other type of low-carb eating plan.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Slow Cooker Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.