Low-Carb Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup with Tomatoes, Sausage, and Parmesan
Low-Carb Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup with Tomatoes, Sausage, and Parmesan is a tasty soup that’s easy to make.
I love this Low-Carb Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup with Tomatoes, Sausage, and Parmesan. And I really hope no one has flashbacks of The Cabbage Soup Diet when they hear the name of the recipe, because this soup is a perfect South Beach Diet Phase One or low-carb recipe, but you won’t think about being on a diet when you’re eating it.
My cabbage soup is loaded with flavor from tomatoes, beef stock, seasonings, and Chicken-Garlic sausage (or your favorite garlicky sausage), and it gets even better if you top it with a spoonful of freshly grated Parmesan cheese. And best of all, if you do a little chopping the night before, this is one of those “throw in the slow cooker and cook all day” kinds of recipes that so many people love. When you get home, just brown the sausage, add to the soup and cook on high for 30-45 minutes more, and dinner is ready!
Yes, this is the fourth recipe I’ve made with Sabatinos Chicken Sausage with Mozzarella, Artichokes and Garlic, and just in case anyone is wondering, Sabatinos has no idea I’m alive and they have certainly not paid me to promote their sausage or given me any samples. I’m just a bit infatuated with this sausage at the moment, but if you can’t find this brand use any garlicky sausage that has good flavor.
How to Make Low-Carb Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup with Tomatoes, Sausage, and Parmesan:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe, including nutritional information.)
- You’ll need about a pound of chopped cabbage.
- Also chop up a medium onion and about 1 cup of celery. I prefer my soup veggies chopped on the small side, but it will work even if you like them a little bigger.
- Put the cabbage, onion, celery, petite diced tomatoes, beef stock, and spices in the slow cooker and cook all day on low or 3-4 hours on high.
- Here’s how the soup will look after you’ve cooked it that long.
- Then slice sausages into thin slices and brown then well.
- Add the sausage to the slow cooker (and turn to high if you were cooking on low) and cook for 30-45 minutes more.
- Serve hot, with freshly grated Parmesan Cheese if desired
More Tasty Soups with Cabbage:
Slow Cooker Spicy Beef and Bean Soup with Cabbage and Spinach~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Russian Cabbage Soup~ Sassy Radish
Goulash Soup with Red Pepper and Cabbage~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Clean Eating Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup ~ Clean and Delicious
Lentil and Sausage Soup with Cabbage~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 6 cups chopped cabbage (see notes)
- 1 onion, chopped small
- 1 cup celery, diced small
- two 14.5 oz. cans petite dice tomatoes (see notes)
- 6 cups beef stock (see notes)
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. ground fennel
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 6 links Chicken-Garlic Sausage
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- Chop the cabbage, onion, and celery and place in the slow cooker. (If you’re making this to cook while you’re at work I would chop those the night before and store in the fridge in a plastic bag.)
- Add the 2 cans of tomatoes, Homemade beef stock or you can use canned beef broth if you don’t have it.), dried thyme (affiliate link), ground fennel (affiliate link), and black pepper to the slow cooker.
- Cook 8-9 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
- When you get home, or when the cabbage is well-softened if you’re cooking on high, slice the sausage into pieces about 1/4 inch thick.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick pan and cook over medium-high heat until the sausage is nicely browned. (You might need to do this in 2 batches if you use 6 sausages.)
- Add the well-browned sausage to the soup, turn to high if you were cooking on low, and cook 30-45 minutes more.
- Serve hot, with freshly-grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
Six cups cabbage is about one pound. You can use only one can of tomatoes if you want to reduce the carbs even more. Homemade beef stock is best, but you can use canned beef broth if you prefer. Use any garlicky sausage that has good flavor.
I used a 5-Quart Slow Cooker (affiliate link) for this recipe, but it could have been a little smaller.
Recipe created by Kalyn when she became infatuated with Sabatinos Chicken Sausage with Mozzarella, Artichokes and Garlic, but use any garlicky sausage you prefer for this recipe.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 224Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 448mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 22g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Low-Carb Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup with Tomatoes, Sausage, and Parmesan is loaded with low-carb ingredients, so this is a great recipe for any phase of the South Beach Diet and most types of low-carb diets. If you use approved sausage and don’t add Parmesan, the soup can even be Paleo.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Soup Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click here for Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!