Leftover Chicken Low-Carb Asian Chopped Salad
Next time you have leftover chicken, try this easy Leftover Chicken Low-Carb Asian Chopped Salad! It’s a delicious combination and the trick of marinating the chicken in dressing while you prep other ingredients adds so much flavor. Use Salad Recipes to find more tasty low-carb salads!
This Leftover Chicken Low-Carb Asian Chopped Salad recipe probably won’t be a surprise to anyone who knows how I’m a fan of those rotisserie chickens that jump into your basket at Costco! I’m always coming up with ideas for using the leftover chicken, and this type of low-carb salad with leftover chicken is something I’ll often make when there’s leftover chicken in the fridge.
You can vary the ingredients depending on what you have, but for this version (that I first posted in 2006!) I used romaine lettuce, sliced mini-peppers, sliced sugar snap peas, chopped cilantro, cashews, and black sesame seeds.All those tasty ingredients get stirred together with a slightly sweet Asian dressing, for a delightful salad made from leftovers. This reminds me of the kind of Asian chopped salad you might get in a restaurant; hope you enjoy!
(Leftover Chicken Asian Chopped Salad was updated with new photos and step-by-step instructions, May 2013.)
Stir together rice vinegar, soy sauce, sweetener of your choice, ground ginger root, sesame oil, and vegetable oil to make the dressing. (In the photo I’m only making half the dressing to make one salad for myself, but the recipe is enough for 2 or 3 salads.) Then chop up the leftover chicken and put the chicken into a small zip-loc bag with some of the dressing and let it marinate. (Photographer fail, forgot to take a photo of that step!) Slice the mini-peppers and green onions.
Also chop up the cashews and cilantro and measure the sesame seeds. (Black sesame seeds look pretty here, but if you only have regular sesame seeds they will still add a nice flavor.) Tear up the romaine lettuce with your hands and give it a good wash in the salad spinner.
Combine desired amount of lettuce, red pepper rings, sliced sugar snap peas, and cilantro and toss with the dressing. Arrange the lettuce mixture in serving bowls and top with some of the marinated chicken. Then sprinkle the salad with the cashews and black sesame seeds, and dig in.
More Tasty Salads to Make with Leftover Chicken:
Chicken Salad with Tarragon and Peas ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Lemon Basil Chicken Salad ~ The Pioneer Woman Cooks
My Favorite Leftover Chicken Salad with Cafe Rio Dressing ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Leftover Chicken Low-Carb Asian Chopped Salad
This easy Leftover Chicken Low-Carb Asian Chopped Salad is a delicious combination of flavors!
- 3 T rice vinegar (be sure not to get seasoned vinegar, which contains sugar)
- 1 T soy sauce (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 T sweetener of your choice
- 1 tsp. grated ginger root (I used ground ginger from a jar)
- 1 T sesame oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped leftover chicken
- 3 cups chopped romaine or iceberg lettuce
- 6-8 small sweet peppers, sliced (different colors if possible)
- 1/2 cup sugar snap peas, cut on diagonal into fourths
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- 2 T toasted sesame seed (preferably black sesame seed if you have it)
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped cashews
- Mix together the rice vinegar, soy sauce, sweetener of your choice, and ginger root, and then whisk in the sesame oil and vegetable oil to make the dressing.
- Chop the chicken and place in Ziploc bag with about 3 T of the dressing mixture to marinate while you cut up the veggies
- Cut peppers into rings and slice sugar snap peas.
- Chop cilantro, if using.
- Tear apart the lettuce with your hands and wash and spin dry in salad spinner (or wash in the sink and dry with paper towels.)
- In large bowl, combine lettuce, peppers, snow peas, and cilantro and toss with dressing. (You may not need all the dressing.)
- Divide the lettuce mixture among 2 plates or salad bowls.
- Arrange chicken over salad and sprinkle with sesame seeds and cashews.
Recipe created by Kalyn when she had leftover chicken from making Greek Lemon Chicken.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Leftover Chicken Low-Carb Asian Chopped Salad is a great dish for low-carb diet plans, and for any phase of the South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.