Black Bean Salad with Persimmon and Avocado
Black Bean Salad with Persimmon and Avocado has the perfect combination of sweet and savory flavors; make this salad right now! You can use other fruits if you don’t have persimmons, but I loved the Fuyu Persimmons in this salad.
I’m having such fun experimenting with the Fuyu persimmons that came in the mail from Andrea! This salad with persimmons, avocado, black beans, and a touch of lime was the second thing I made with persimmons, and I thought the combination of sweet and savory flavors was perfect in this salad.
If you’re looking for persimmon ideas while they’re in season, you might also like my Whole Wheat Couscous Salad with Persimmon, Grapes, and Pine Nuts, or the stunning Pan-Fried Brie Cheese with Persimmon Salsa Canapés that Dara came up with when I shared the persimmons with her. I’ve got two more persimmon recipes after this, so stay tuned!
How to Make Black Bean Salad with Persimmon and Avocado:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- Start by rinsing a can of black beans and let the beans drain well. (If you’re impatient like me, you can use a paper towel to blot the beans dry.)
- Then whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- When the beans are well-drained, stir in 2 T of the dressing so the beans can absorb some of the dressing flavor while you cut other ingredients.
- Peel and dice the avocados, then toss with some lime juice and season with salt. I used two avocados because I had them hanging out in the fridge, but you could certainly make this with just one avocado as well.
- Peel and cut up three persimmons, cutting them in pieces about the same size as the avocados.
- Also thinly slice some green onions, enough to make about 1/3 cup sliced green onion.
- Add the avocado, persimmon, and green onions to the bowl with the black beans, add dressing, and gently toss to combine. (You may not need all the dressing if you’re not a lime freak like me.)
- Season with salt to taste, and serve.
More Ideas for Fuyu Persimmons:
Persimmon Fruit Salad from Morsels and Musings
Whole Wheat Couscous Salad with Persimmon from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Pan-Fried Brie Cheese with Persimmon Salsa Canapés from Cookin’ Canuck
Fruity Lentil Salad with Persimmon, Apple, and Avocado from Kalyn’s Kitchen
- one 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed well and drained
- 2 avocados, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 3 Fuyu persimmons, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- salt to taste, for seasoning avocados and finished salad
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 T + 1 T fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. green Tabasco Sauce (see notes)
- 1 tsp. grated lime zest (optional, but good)
- Pour the canned beans into a colander placed in the sink, then rinse well with cold water until no more foam appears.
- Let beans drain 10-15 minutes (or if you get impatient like I do, finish drying them with paper towels after they’ve drained for a few minutes.)
- While beans are draining, whisk together the olive oil, 2 T lime juice, ground cumin, green Tabasco or other hot sauce, and lime zest.
- When beans are well-drained, stir in 2 T of the dressing and let the beans absorb the flavor while you prep other ingredients.
- Peel and cut the avocado, place in a small bowl, toss with 1 T lime juice, and season with salt.
- Peel and cut the persimmons, and thinly slice the green onions.
- Add the avocado, persimmon, and green onion to the bowl with the black beans and gently combine.
- Add desired amount of dressing to salad and gently toss. (You may not need all the dressing, especially if you only use one avocado, or if you’re not that fond of lime.)
- Season to taste with salt and serve.
You can use only one avocado if you prefer. I'm a huge fan of Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link) but use any hot sauce you prefer.
I did keep some of this overnight in the fridge and eat it the next day, but it was definitely best right after I made it.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 370Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 452mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 15gSugar: 12gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Combining persimmons with low-glycemic beans and avocados makes this Black Bean Salad with Persimmon and Avocado a great choice for phase 2 or 3 for the South Beach Diet. A salad with fruit and dried beans would be too high in carbs for a low-carb diet plan.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.