Arugula Chicken Salad with Mozzarella and Tomatoes
Arugula Chicken Salad with Mozzarella and Tomatoes is so tasty that even people who don’t normally like arugula just might like it! And this salad is really low in carbs for a salad with tomatoes.
This Arugula Chicken Salad with Mozzarella and Tomatoes was inspired by a salad I had at Vinto, a now closed restaurant in downtown Salt Lake. I’d never thought of using arugula in a chopped salad until I had the Italiana Chopped Salad at Vinto, but I loved the combination of chopped baby arugula, chicken, fresh mozzarella, and tomatoes with a zesty dressing.
Through the years this I’ve made this salad quite a few times, always wishing the photos were a bit better, so recently when I was having a cooking day with Jake and Kara we made the salad again and snapped some new pics.
It so happened we were cooking on a day when my nephew Garrett, his wife Jane, and their kids were staying at my house and Garrett and Jane had fun watching us cook and photograph a couple of recipes. But when it came time to make this salad, Garrett was pretty sure he “didn’t like arugula.” However when the salad was done, he was brave enough to have a small serving and he loved it and even went back for seconds!
So if you have guests or family members who are normally not fond of the spicy and slightly bitter flavor of arugula, maybe you can get them to warm up to it in a salad like this with so many other flavors. And if you’re already a confirmed arugula fan like me, I hope the new photos will entice you to make this salad! It really is unique and so delicious for a simple main meal salad that would taste great for lunch or dinner when it’s too hot to cook!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- white balsamic vinegar (affiliate link)
- fresh-squeezed lemon juice, I used my fresh-frozen lemon juice
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- fresh mozzarella cheese
- cooked chicken breast (see notes)
- baby arugula
- cherry tomatoes, or diced red garden tomatoes
Do you need white balsamic vinegar for the Arugula Chicken Salad?
We used white balsamic vinegar for this recipe because regular balsamic vinegar will give the chicken and Mozzarella a slightly pink tinge. But if you don’t mind that, regular balsamic vinegar will also taste great.
Do you need fresh Mozzarella for the Arugula Chicken Salad
We loved the flavor of fresh Mozzarella in this salad. But if you don’t have that I think Feta Cheese would also be delicious here.
Can you make the Arugula Chicken Salad ahead to take for lunch?
This could be a great salad to take to work for lunch. I would cut the Mozzarella and chicken in the morning and add the dressing, then put in a container with a snap-on lid. Then chop the arugula and tomatoes and put it in another container. Pack any additional dressing in a small container with a screw-on lid. Combine the salad at work right before you eat it.
How to make Arugula Chicken Salad with Mozzarella and Tomatoes:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Cut up enough leftover cooked chicken to make 2 cups of chopped chicken.
- Cut up the fresh mozzarella into smallish cubes until you have 1 cup diced mozzarella.
- Whisk together white balsamic vinegar (affiliate link), lemon juice, olive oil, Dijon mustard, and season the dressing with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Put the diced fresh mozzarella and diced chicken into a small bowl and toss with half the dressing.
- If you buy baby arugula pre-washed in a tub like this you can skip the next step!
- Wash and dry 5 oz. of baby arugula, if your arugula pieces are large coarsely chop with large chef’s knife.
- Cut enough cherry tomatoes in half to make 2 cups cherry tomatoes.
- Put chopped arugula and diced tomatoes into salad bowl and toss with remaining dressing.
- Then mix in the mozzarella cubes and diced chicken you mixed with dressing, gently toss again, season with more salt and fresh ground black pepper if desired, and serve.
More Tasty Salads with Arugula
- Raw Summer Squash Salad with Arugula and Feta
- Kale and Arugula Salad
- Kalyn’s Favorite Baby Arugula Salad
- 2 1/2 T white balsamic vinegar (see notes)
- 2 1/2 T freshly squeezed lemon juice (see notes)
- 4 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup diced fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken breast (see notes)
- 5 oz. baby arugula, washed, dried, and chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half, or diced red garden tomatoes
- Cut leftover chicken breast or grilled chicken breast into pieces.
- Cut up the fresh mozzarella into small cubes.
- In a small bowl whisk together white balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, and Dijon mustard, and season dressing to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Put mozzarella cubes and diced chicken into a small bowl and toss with half the dressing.
- Wash and dry the baby arugula, then chop coarsely with large chef’s knife if desired. If the arugula is pretty small you can just skip that step.
- Chop tomatoes or cut cherry tomatoes in half until you have about 2 cups chopped tomato.
- Put chopped arugula and chopped tomatoes into larger bowl and toss with the remaining dressing (or desired amount if you don't like a lot of dressing.)
- Add the cubes of mozzarella and diced chicken you mixed with dressing and gently toss again.
- Season salad with more salt and fresh ground black pepper (to taste) and serve immediately.
I love white balsamic vinegar (affiliate link) which is a bit sweeter and milder than regular balsamic vinegar and in this salad it keeps the cheese nice and white to use a lighter vinegar. But if you don't want to buy a special vinegar regular balsamic vinegar will taste fine, the salad just won't be quite as pretty. I used my fresh-frozen lemon juice for this salad. I used leftover rotisserie chicken for the salad but you can also poach two chicken breasts in water for about 15 minutes, which will add a bit more time to the preparation.
This recipe was inspired by the Italiano Chopped Salad at Vinto, a now-closed restaurant in downtown Salt Lake City.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 359Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 409mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 30g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Arugula Chicken Salad is low in net carbs, but if you’re strictly limiting carbs you could also use more chicken and cheese and fewer tomatoes. If you use low-fat skim milk Mozzarella, everything in this salad is a great choice for any phase of the original South Beach Diet. Low-carb eating plans would prefer full-fat cheese.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Salad Recipes to find more salads like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This Arugula Chicken Salad recipe was first posted in 2010. It was last updated with more information in 2023.