Cheesy Creamy Low-Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake (Video)
Cheesy Creamy Low-Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake is so delicious that you definitely won’t miss the breaded coating that’s usually found on Chicken Cordon Bleu. And this recipe is also Keto, low-glycemic, and gluten-free! Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one!
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make Cheesy Creamy Low-Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake!
I usually have fun coming up with low-carb recipe ideas for the blog and testing the recipes with my nephew Jake and my niece Kara. But I’m not going to lie, it can be frustrating sometimes. Recently this idea for Cheesy Creamy Low-Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake popped into my head, and both Kara and I loved the concept of layers of thinly sliced and barely-cooked chicken, ham, and cheese baked with a creamy sauce.
But when we made the recipe the way we had planned it (with a sauce that was mostly sour cream, with mayo, a little Dijon, and Parmesan) the sauce curdled and there was water in the bottom of the dish when we lifted up the pieces of chicken. Luckily it was so delicious that Kara and I were happy to work on the recipe again to get a sauce that wouldn’t cause you problems. (And we happily gobbled up the “failed” version too, and Kara’s kids loved it when she fed them the leftovers for dinner.)
For the keeper version you’re getting in this recipe, we whisked a little chicken stock into softened cream cheese and then mixed in mayo, sour cream, Dijon, and Parmesan for a slightly thicker sauce. We barely cooked the thin pieces of chicken, layered the chicken, ham, and cheese like before, and spread the sauce over. Then we held our breath while it baked, praying the new sauce wouldn’t separate. And it was a winner! And this is so, so, so delicious that if you like the idea of a Low-Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake that has un-breaded chicken, ham, and cheese with a creamy sauce this just might become your favorite new dinner!
Cut up the cream cheese into cubes and let it soften in a bowl or an extra-large measuring cup while you slice chicken in half lengthwise and cut the ham and Swiss cheese into pieces the right size to fit over a chicken breast. Rub each thin chicken cutlet with poultry seasoning, then heat olive oil and cook each piece of chicken just two minutes on each side. Check your cream cheese (microwave for a few seconds if it’s not soft enough to whisk), and whisk in the chicken stock, sour cream, mayo, Dijon, and Parmesan.
Lay the barely-cooked pieces of chicken out on paper towels, put another paper towel on top, and press to absorb any liquid. Put chicken pieces into a large baking dish. (I used a dish that was 10″ x 14″.) Top each piece of chicken with a slice of ham and a slice of Swiss cheese. Spread sauce over with a rubber scraper and top with freshly-grated Parmesan. Bake at 375F/190C for 35-40 minutes, or until the dish is bubbling hot and starting to brown on top.
Serve hot, and wait for compliments. This makes 8 servings, although hearty eaters might eat a whole chicken breast (2 pieces.) You could cut the recipe in half and only use 2 large chicken breasts, but I encourage you to make the whole amount because leftovers were great!
More Tasty Low-Carb Baked Chicken Recipes:
Low-Carb Baked Chicken Stuffed with Pesto and Cheese ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Baked Margherita Chicken ~ Shugary Sweets
Low-Carb Baked Chicken Nuggets with Mustard, Almond, and Parmesan ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Crispy Italian Oven Chicken ~ Barefeet in the Kitchen
Easy Baked Pesto Chicken ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
One Pan Baked Italian Chicken and Tomatoes ~ Real Housemoms
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Cheesy Creamy Low-Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake
- 4 large, thick boneless, skinless chicken breasts (Each breast needs to be thick enough to slice lengthwise into two thin chicken cutlets.)
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- salt to taste
- 4 slices ham, cut in half lengthwise to make 8 pieces to lay on top of a chicken breast
- 4 slices Swiss cheese, cut in half lengthwise to make 8 pieces to lay on top of each slice of ham
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan
- 8 oz. cream cheese, cut into cubes and softened at room temperature until it can be beaten with a whisk
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Cut the cream cheese into cubes and place in a bowl or an oversize measuring cup and let it soften while you prepare the chicken.
- Trim fat and any undesirable parts from each chicken breast, then cut each breast in half lengthwise so each one makes two thin chicken cutlets.
- Rub a pinch of poultry seasoning on one side of each chicken cutlet.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large frying pan, add chicken, and cook 2 minutes on each side. Remove chicken to paper towels spread out on the counter. (If you have a giant pan you might be able to cook all 8 pieces at once, but most people will need to cook it in two batches.)
- Put another layer of paper towels on top of the chicken and press down so you can absorb any extra water from the chicken.
- While chicken cooks, cut the slices of ham and cheese lengthwise so you have 8 pieces each.
- Lay chicken pieces out in a large baking dish. (I used a dish that was 10″ x 14″. You might need two dishes if you don’t have one that’s big enough.)
- Put a slice of ham and then a slice of cheese on top of each chicken breast.
- Test the cream cheese and see if it’s soft enough to whisk. If not you can microwave it for 20-30 seconds to soften. Then whisk the chicken stock into the cream cheese, followed by the sour cream, the mayo, the Dijon, and finally the Parmesan. The sauce will be thick.
- Use a rubber scraper to spread the sauce over the top of the chicken. Sprinkle with the other 1/2 cup grated Parmesan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until the dish is bubbling hot and starting to brown on top.
- Serve hot, and wait for compliments!
- Leftovers will keep several days in the fridge and can be reheated in the microwave or in a covered dish in the oven or a toaster oven.
This recipe was created by Kalyn, with help from Kara in perfecting a sauce that worked!
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This is a good side dish for any low-glycemic or low-carb diet. If you’re making this for the South Beach Diet you’d need to use reduced fat cheese, cream cheese, and sour cream, but I’m guessing it would still be an occasional treat if you’re strictly following South Beach.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.