Instant Pot Low-Carb Soup with Ground Beef, Green Beans, and Tomatoes (Video)
Make this Instant Pot Low-Carb Soup with Ground Beef, Green Beans, and Tomatoes or use another electric pressure cooker or cook on the stovetop if you prefer! This tasty soup is also low-glycemic, gluten-free, South Beach Diet Phase One, and can be Paleo or Whole 30 if you omit the Parmesan. Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
Watch the video to see if you might like to make
Instant Pot Low-Carb Soup with Ground Beef, Green Beans, and Tomatoes.
For me 2017 was definitely the year for Instant Pot Recipes on Kalyn’s Kitchen. It seemed like more and more of you were discovering the Instant Pot this year, and back in October I posted The BEST Low-Carb Instant Pot Soup Recipes for the Friday low-carb round-up on Kalyn’s Kitchen. Then I kept seeing even more low-carb Instant Pot Soups so recently we shared 50 Amazing Low-Carb Instant Pot Soup Recipes on my other site, Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker.
So when I pondered what to feature for my last favorite recipe before I go to Mexico for the holidays, I thought of this delicious Instant Pot Low-Carb Soup with Ground Beef, Green Beans, and Tomatoes. Kara and I experimented and came up with this easy Instant Pot soup with ground beef back in 2016, and it’s probably still the easiest Instant Pot Soup I’ve made, and definitely one of the tastiest. We actually created this out of things we had in the fridge, and were thrilled when it turned out to be a keeper!
The good news for those who don’t want to join The Church of Instant Pot is that you can easily make this on the stove. So if you don’t have an Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker, I’ll give suggestions at the end of the recipe for a stovetop version. No matter which method you use, if you’re looking for an easy low-carb soup and you have ground beef in the freezer I bet you’ll like this as much as we did! (And did you notice that it’s red and green? You know how I love to find low-carb red and green foods!)
Happy Holidays to all my faithful readers and blogging friends! I’m actually leaving tomorrow and staying in Mexico for the rest of the year (Squeal!) but I do have a few year-end posts and a fabulous new recipe for January 1 scheduled for you, and I’ll try to keep track of things here the best I can. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday season.
Saute the beef in the Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker until it’s nicely browned; add the chopped onion, minced garlic, dried thyme, and dried oregano, and cook 2-3 minutes more. Add the petite diced tomatoes and juice and canned beef broth and let it start to heat while you prep the beans.
Trim both ends of the green beans and cut them into short bite-sized pieces. Add green beans to the Instant Pot or pressure cooker. For the Instant Pot, use the soup function to cook the soup (30 minutes on low pressure for another type of pressure cooker.) Use the quick release method to release the pressure.
Serve hot. This is wonderful with freshly grated Parmesan to add at the table, but if you omit the Parmesan it’s a Paleo or Whole 30 approved recipe, so take your choice on that!
Love Your Instant Pot?
Check out my growing collection of Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot Recipes! I used my 6 quart Instant Pot for this recipe but you can use the Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker or a stovetop pressure cooker if that’s what you have. Of make it on the stove if you’re not a pressure cooker fan!
More Low-Carb Pressure Cooker Love:
Pressure Cooker Low-Carb Flank Steak Tacos ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Teri’s Pressure Cooker Sausage and Peppers ~ Pressure Cooking Today
Instant Pot (or Slow Cooker) Low-Carb Cheesy Chicken Tacos ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Instant Pot Leg of Lamb ~ All Day I Dream About Food
Pressure Cooker Corned Beef with Creamy Horseradish Sauce ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Instant Pot Low-Carb Soup with Ground Beef, Green Beans, and Tomatoes
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 T minced garlic (We used minced garlic from a jar.)
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 lb. fresh green beans, ends trimmed and cut into short pieces about 1 inch long
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) petite-diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 cans (14 oz. each) beef broth (or use 3 1/2 cups homemade beef stock, which will be even better)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- freshly grated Parmesan for serving (optional but highly recommended unless you are avoiding dairy)
- Turn the Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker to saute, or turn on heat under the stovetop pressure cooker, add the oil and heat a minute or two, add ground beef and cook the beef until it’s nicely browned, breaking apart with a turner as it cooks.
- When beef is browned, add the chopped onion, minced garlic, dried thyme, and dried oregano and cook about 3 minutes more.
- Add the petite-dice tomatoes with juice and the beef broth and let them start to heat in the pressure cooker while you prep the beans.
- Trim beans on both ends, then cut them into short 1-inch pieces. Add beans to the pressure cooker.
- Lock the lid closed and switch the Instant Pot to the SOUP function. (If you don’t change anything, that will cook 30 minutes at LOW PRESSURE.) For another type of pressure cooker, use choose LOW PRESSURE or bring stovetop pressure cooker to LOW PRESSURE and cook 30 minutes.
- Use the quick release method to release the pressure.
- Season soup to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper.
- Serve hot, with freshly grated Parmesan to add at the table if desired.
Stovetop Cooking Instructions:
- To cook this recipe on the stove, use a large heavy dutch oven type pot that you can both brown and simmer in.
- Heat oil in the pot and cook the ground beef as above, using medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add the chopped onion, minced garlic, dried thyme, and dried oregano and cook about 3 minutes more.
- Add the petite-diced tomatoes with juice, beef broth, and 1/2 can water, turn heat to medium low, and let the soup start to simmer while you prep the beans.
- Trim both ends of beans, then cut them into 1 inch pieces.
- Add beans to the soup, turn to low, and let soup simmer about 45 minutes, or until beans are as soft as you’d like them and the flavors are well blended. (You may need to add more liquid, or even additional beef broth, depending on how hot your stove is on the low setting.)
- Season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Serve hot, with freshly grated Parmesan to add at the table if desired.
This recipe created by Kalyn and Kara when they were experimenting with the new Instant Pot.All images and text ©
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Instant Pot Low-Carb Soup with Ground Beef, Green Beans, and Tomatoes would be a good option for any phase of the South Beach Diet or other low-carb or low-glycemic eating plans. If you wanted even less carbs for Keto, you could use more beef and less tomatoes. The recipe is also gluten-free and if you omit the Parmesan Cheese, it can be Paleo or Whole 30 approved.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.