Roasted Asparagus with Red Pepper and Gorgonzola
Roasted Asparagus with Red Pepper and Gorgonzola will definitely be a hit when you need a low-carb side dish that’s festive and delicious!
I’ve been totally crushing on Gorgonzola Cheese for about a month now. I first bought some Gorgonzola to update my photos for Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pecans and Gorgonzola, and if you like those ingredients, you can’t go wrong with that for a holiday side dish. And I’ve already shared 25+ Low-Carb and Gluten-Free Holiday Recipes for people who are really trying to keep it low-carb for Thanksgiving.
But I’m excited to share this recipe for Roasted Asparagus with Red Pepper and Gorgonzola. This combination of roasted asparagus, red pepper strips, and crumbled Gorgonzola was so delicious, the recipe was so quick and easy, and it was so festive-looking that I couldn’t help but think that it might appeal to everyone who likes these ingredients!
And if you’re an organized holiday dinner planner who’s had the menu nailed down for weeks, please file this one away in your mind for another year. I promise, this was delightful and it can quickly roast in the oven after you take out the meat, whether that’s turkey or roast beef.
And if your family aren’t fans of Gorgonzola, I think crumbled Feta, or even coarsely grated Parmesan would also be delicious here!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- fresh asparagus, thicker spears preferred
- red bell peppers
- olive oil
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (or other crumbled cheese of your choice)
How to make this recipe:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- I used thicker spears of asparagus which I prefer for roasting, and after I trimmed the woody ends I cut the asparagus spears into pieces on the diagonal.
- Then cut out the stem and seeds of the red bell peppers and cut them into lengthwise strips that are as thick (or slightly thicker) than the pieces of asparagus.
- Toss asparagus pieces and pepper strips with olive oil.
- Spread out on a baking sheet, season with some salt and fresh-ground black pepper, and roast for 15 minutes (or until it’s done to your liking.)
- Toss with crumbled Gorgonzola (or another cheese of your choice) and serve hot.
- That’s all there is to this festive side dish!
More Festive Recipes with Asparagus.
Roasted Asparagus with Soy-Sesame Glaze ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Asparagus Gratin ~ The View from Great Island
Asparagus with Melted Gorgonzola and Pine Nuts ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Shaved Asparagus Salad with Bacon and Blue Cheese ~ Foodie with Family
Chicken and Asparagus with Three Cheeses ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus, thicker spears preferred
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 1 T olive oil
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (or other crumbled cheese of your choice)
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Cover a large baking sheet with foil and then spray with oil or non-stick spray, or skip the foil and spray the baking sheet a bit more thoroughly if you prefer not to use foil.
- Hold a piece of asparagus at both ends and break to see where the woody part starts, then trim asparagus spears to that length. Cut asparagus in half on the diagonal, or make slightly shorter pieces if you prefer.
- Cut off both ends of the peppers and cut out seeds. Then make a slit in each pepper to cut it open, flatten it out, and cut into lengthwise strips the same width as the asparagus.
- Toss asparagus pieces and pepper strips with the olive oil. Spread out on the baking sheet and season to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper.
- Roast asparagus and peppers for 15 minutes, or until it's done to your liking.
- While asparagus roasts, crumble the Gorgonzola. (Keep it in the fridge until right before you crumble so it's not too soft and sticky.)
- When the asparagus and red peppers are cooked to your liking, toss with the crumbled Gorgonzola and serve hot.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 74Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 193mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Roasted Asparagus with Red Pepper and Gorgonzola is a good side dish for any type of low-carb or low-glycemic diet, including Keto and if you use a moderate amount of Gorgonzola it should work for any phase of the South Beach Diet as well.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Side Dish Recipes to see more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.