Roasted Asparagus and Peppers
Roasted Asparagus and Peppers will definitely be a hit when you need a low-carb side dish that’s festive and delicious! We loved the flavor combination of these two vegetables with melted Gorgonzola, but see suggestions for other cheeses if you prefer!
I’m excited to share this recipe for Roasted Asparagus and Peppers for my Friday Favorites pick this week. This combination of roasted asparagus, red pepper strips, and crumbled Gorgonzola was so delicious, the recipe was so quick and easy, and it was so festive-looking that I couldn’t help but think that it might appeal to everyone who likes these ingredients!
And of course you can use another cheese if the pungent flavor of Gorgonzola is not your thing. I promise, this was delightful and it can quickly roast in the oven for a holiday meal after you take out the meat, whether that’s turkey or roast beef.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- fresh asparagus, thicker spears preferred
- red bell peppers
- Olive Oil (affiliate link)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (or other crumbled cheese of your choice)
What cheeses work with the Roasted Asparagus and Peppers?
If you’re not a Gorgonzola fan, I think both Feta or Parmesan cheese would be delicious here! Or use any crumbly melting cheese that you enjoy!
Who else LOVES Gorgonzola Cheese?
I’ve been totally crushing on Gorgonzola Cheese for about a month now. I bought some to update my photos for Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pecans and Gorgonzola, and if you like those ingredients, you also can’t go wrong with that for a holiday side dish.
Want more low-carb holiday recipes?
Check out Keto Side Dishes, Appetizers, and Salads for the Holidays. Or use Low-Carb Red and Green Holiday Recipes to find more red-and-green food for the holidays!
How to make Roasted Asparagus and Peppers:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- I used thicker spears of asparagus which I prefer for roasting, and after I trimmed the woody ends I cut the asparagus spears into pieces on the diagonal.
- Then cut out the stem and seeds of the red bell peppers and cut them into lengthwise strips that are as thick (or slightly thicker) than the pieces of asparagus.
- Toss asparagus pieces and pepper strips with olive oil.
- Spread out on a baking sheet, season with some salt and fresh-ground black pepper, and roast for 15 minutes (or until it’s done to your liking.)
- Toss with crumbled Gorgonzola (or another cheese of your choice) and serve hot.
- That’s all there is to this festive side dish!
More Festive Recipes with Asparagus:
- Asparagus with Melted Gorgonzola and Pine Nuts
- Chicken and Asparagus with Three Cheeses
- Asparagus, Mushroom, and Goat Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Asparagus and Tomato Salad with Hearts of Palm
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus, thicker spears preferred
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 1 T olive oil
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (or other crumbled cheese of your choice)
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Cover a large baking sheet with foil and then spray with oil or non-stick spray, or skip the foil and spray the baking sheet a bit more thoroughly if you prefer not to use foil.
- Hold a piece of asparagus at both ends and break to see where the woody part starts, then trim asparagus spears to that length. Cut asparagus in half on the diagonal, or make slightly shorter pieces if you prefer.
- Cut off both ends of the peppers and cut out seeds. Then make a slit in each pepper to cut it open, flatten it out, and cut into lengthwise strips the same width as the asparagus.
- Toss asparagus pieces and pepper strips with the olive oil. Spread out on the baking sheet and season to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper.
- Roast asparagus and peppers for 15 minutes, or until it's done to your liking.
- While asparagus roasts, crumble the Gorgonzola. (Keep it in the fridge until right before you crumble so it's not too soft and sticky.)
- When the asparagus and red peppers are cooked to your liking, toss with the crumbled Gorgonzola and serve hot.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 74Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 193mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Roasted Asparagus and Peppers is a good side dish for any type of low-carb or low-glycemic diet, including Keto and if you use a moderate amount of Gorgonzola it should work for any phase of the original South Beach Diet as well.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Side Dishes to see more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe with asparagus and peppers roasted together and topped with creamy Gorgonzola was posted in 2017. It was last updated with more information in 2023.