Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pecans and Gorgonzola
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pecans and Gorgonzola are really a wow, but make them without the Gorgonzola if you prefer! And these tasty brussels sprouts are low-carb, Keto, low-glycemic, gluten-free, meatless, and South Beach Diet friendly. Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
I’ll be honest, when I first posted these Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pecans and Gorgonzola, I said “with or without Gorgonzola” in the recipe title. Then when I made this again recently to take better photos, both Kara and I swooned over the melted Gorgonzola, so I decided it was not optional. Of course if you make your roasted brussels sprouts just with pecans, I’m never going to know. But if you like Gorgonzola cheese even the tiniest little bit, you’re going to love it in this recipe.
And this recipe has a lot of fans! I first heard about the idea of roasting pecans with brussels sprouts from a friend who tried Pecan Brussels Sprouts from The Blackberry Farm Cookbook, and I found that recipe online and adapted it a little back in 2009. And when I was talking about them on Twitter, Sean from Hedonia gave me the recommendation of tossing the hot sprouts with a little bit of crumbled blue cheese and shared how much he loved that combination. And the most recent comment on the recipe is from my niece Alyson, whose husband Nick is quoted as saying, “These brussels sprouts with gorgonzola are on point!”
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pecans and Gorgonzola is something I would love to have on the table for Thanksgiving, although Brussels Sprouts Salad is another one of my Thanksgiving faves. If you’re still narrowing down the menu, I’ve shared 25+ Low-Carb and Gluten-Free Holiday Recipes and The BEST Low-Carb and Gluten-Free Thanksgiving Side Dishes, so you should have plenty of options.
Preheat oven to 350F/175C. Brush a large roasting pan with olive oil. Trim off the stem ends of the brussels sprouts; then cut each one into fourths or halves, depending on how big they are. Toss brussels sprouts and pecans with olive oil and a generous amount of salt and pepper. Spread them out on the baking sheet, cook about 10 minutes, and then stir.
Continue roasting until the sprouts are tender and starting to brown a bit on the edges, about 30-35 minutes. Toss the hot sprouts with the Gorgonzola (or a little butter if you’re skipping the cheese.)
Serve hot and wait for compliments! If you like the idea of cheese but Gorgonzola is not your thing, I think some crumbled Feta or grated Parmesan would also be wonderful.
More Delicious Ideas for Brussels Sprouts:
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Fried Brussels Sprouts Leaves with Lemon and Chili Flakes ~ A Beautiful Plate
Easy Brussels Sprouts Gratin with Swiss and Parmesan ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad ~ A Mind Full Mom
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Avocado and Pecans ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Crispy Asian Brussels Sprouts ~ The BakerMama
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pecans and Gorgonzola
- 1 – 1 1/2 lb. fresh brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (more or less to taste)
- 4 tsp. olive oil, plus a bit more to brush the baking sheet
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- If not using the Gorgonzola, you can toss the hot brussels sprouts with 1-2 T butter.
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C. Brush roasting pan or dish with a small amount of olive oil, using a pastry brush or paper towel.
- Trim ends of brussels sprouts if needed, then cut each lengthwise into fourths or halves if they’re small. Don’t worry if some leaves fall off, because the loose ones will get a bit more crispy when they roast and add a lot of flavor.
- Chop pecans with a knife and measure out desired amount.
- Put brussels sprouts and chopped pecans into a plastic bowl, then toss with olive oil and season with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste. (I would use a generous amount of salt and pepper since there’s no other seasoning.)
- Arrange brussels sprouts and pecans on roasting pan, making a single layer as much as you can. Roast for 30-35 minutes, or until the sprouts are tender and starting to brown on the edges. I stirred several times so different sides of the brussels sprouts would get browned.
- Toss the hot brussels sprouts and pecans with Gorgonzola Cheese (or butter) before serving. Serve hot.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pecans and Gorgonzola would be a great side dish for any low-carb eating plan. And no matter which variation you use, this low-carb dish would be pretty South Beach Diet friendly as well. Naturally, the versions without butter or Gorgonzola cheese are better for South Beach because there is already some fat in the pecans and olive oil, but for a holiday like Thanksgiving I wouldn’t worry about using the small amount of butter or Gorgonzola.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type Index to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.