Crockpot Red Lentil, Chickpea, and Tomato Soup with Smoked Paprika
I loved the smoked paprika in this Crockpot Red Lentil, Chickpea, and Tomato Soup with Smoked Paprika. This tasty soup freezes well and it’s gluten-free, vegan, and South Beach Diet phase two.
I’ve been loving smoked paprika lately, an infatuation that started when my friend Margarethe sent me a recipe for Spicy Roasted Butternut Squash with Smoked Paprika. Then I got inspired about creating a crockpot soup with smoked paprika when I spotted a recipe for yellow split pea soup with smoked paprika in More Make It Fast, Cook It Slow, by Stephanie from A Year of Slow Cooking.
This Crockpot Red Lentil, Chickpea, and Tomato Soup with Smoked Paprika was another one of those recipes where it took me a few tries to get it just right, but I served this version to my brother Mark and his wife Lisa when they stopped by on Saturday, and they both gave it a thumbs up. And no matter how much we long for spring, you know there’ll still be more cold wintery days before warm weather arrives, so make this soup in your crockpot next time it’s a cold day where you are.
Saute a generous amount of chopped onion in olive oil, then garlic, smoked paprika and other spices and cook 2-3 minutes more. Add the onions and spices to the crockpot along with red lentils, chickpeas, and chicken stock. (Or use vegetable stock if you want a vegan soup.)
Let the soup cook for 2-3 hours on high, until the lentils are very soft and starting to dissolve. Add 2 cans petite diced tomatoes plus the juice and cook for 1-2 hours longer on high. The lentils and chickpeas should both be quite soft when the soup has cooked this long.
Remove about half of the soup and puree completely with an immersion blender, food processor, or blender. (This photo is a giant 8-cup glass measuring cup with about 4 cups of soup.) Stir the pureed soup back into the CrockPot, season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper, let cook about 15 minutes more and serve hot. Mark and I liked it with a generous dollop of sour cream and Lisa ate hers plain.
More Soups You Might Like:
Slow Cooker Soup or Stew Photo Index Page ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Goulash Soup with Red Peppers and Cabbage~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Smoked Paprika and Chickpea Soup~ Leite’s Culinaria
Yellow Split Pea Soup with Smoked Paprika~ Elena’s Pantry
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Crockpot Recipe for Red Lentil, Chickpea, and Tomato Soup with Smoked Paprika
I loved the smoked paprika in this Crockpot Red Lentil, Chickpea, and Tomato Soup with Smoked Paprika.
- 1 large yellow onion, diced small
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. Vege-Sal (or use 1/2 tsp. salt)
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 5 C chicken or vegetable stock (or use 3 cans chicken or vegetable broth)
- 2 cans petite dice tomatoes with juice (14.5 oz. can)
- Sour cream or vegan sour cream for serving, optional
- Heat olive oil in frying pan and saute the diced onion until it’s soft and starting to brown lightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, smoked paprika, sweet paprika, dried thyme, Vege-Sal, and black pepper and saute 2-3 minutes more, or until spices are fragrant.
- Add onion-spice mixture to CrockPot, then rinse out the frying pan with 1 cup of the stock and add to crockpot along with red lentils, rinsed chickpeas, and rest of stock.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours, or until lentils are starting to soften and dissolve into the soup. (I cooked mine for 2 1/2 hours. Cooking time will depend partly on how old the lentils are.)
- When lentils are starting to soften, add the 2 cans of diced tomatoes with juice. Cook for 1-2 hours more on high, or until the lentils and chickpeas are both quite soft.
- Then remove about 1/2 the soup to a bowl (or the large 8-cup measuring cup I had worked perfectly.) Puree the soup you removed using an immersion blender, food processor, or blender. (If you’re using a food processor or blender, be very careful with the hot soup, pureeing in batches if necessary.)
- Stir the pureed soup back into the soup in the CrockPot; taste and add more salt or fresh ground black pepper if desired. Let soup cook about 15 minutes more, then serve hot.
I used a 3.5 quart slow cooker. I haven’t frozen this soup, but I have no doubt that it freezes well, so make a double batch if you only have a big CrockPot.
South Beach Diet / Low-Carb Diet Suggestions:
Crockpot Red Lentil, Chickpea, and Tomato Soup with Smoked Paprika is made with low-glycemic ingredients, approved for any phase of the South Beach Diet. However dried beans and legumes are limited to 1/3 to 1/2 cup serving for phase one so unless you have a very small serving I would consider this phase two for the South Beach Diet. This is too high in carbs for low-carb diet plans.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click here for more Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.