Chicken, Black Bean, Avocado, and Radish Salad
Grab some chicken, black beans, avocados, and radishes and make this Chicken, Black Bean, Avocado, and Radish Salad. This salad is gluten-free and dairy-free, and if you’re a cilantro hater I’d just leave it out and double the green onion. Use Salad Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
I made this Chicken, Black Bean, Avocado, and Radish Salad several times to get the flavors just right, and when I was making the final version (with the addition of radishes for color and a little crunch) my brother Mark, his wife Lisa, and their daughter-in-law Lindy dropped by just as I was starting the recipe. I convinced them to hang around while I made the salad and took photos, which might be the best excuse ever for a rather messy-looking bowl of salad that could have been styled a bit more carefully!
Being close enough for family members to drop in is just one of the things I absolutely love about the new house. And by the way, I fed my visitors this salad, as well as leftovers from a casserole that hasn’t made it to the blog yet, and both dishes were definitely a hit! (Edit 2019: If you’d like a low-carb salad with these flavors check out Low-Carb Chicken Salad with Avocado, Radishes, and Lime.)
Steps for Making Chicken, Black Bean, Avocado, and Radish Salad with Lime and Cilantro:
(Scroll down to see complete printable recipe, including nutritional information.)
- Rinse 1 can of black beans and let them drain well.
- Whisk together the olive oil, mayo, lime juice, cumin, salt, and Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link) to make the spicy dressing.
- Toss the drained beans with about half the dressing so they can marinate while you prep the other ingredients.
- Cut up 2 – 3 cups of diced cooked chicken.
- Peel and cut up the avocado and toss with 1 T lime juice.
- Chop up the radishes, cutting them so each piece has a side with some red showing for color.
- When all ingredients are ready, toss the cooked chicken and radishes with the beans; adding the rest of the dressing (or as much as you like to moisten the salad to your liking.)
- Mix the chopped green onion and chopped cilantro into the salad.
- Then gently mix in the chopped avocado.
- Season well with salt and fresh-ground black pepper, and serve.
More Tasty Salads with Chicken:
Chicken, Broccoli, and Red Pepper Salad ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Salad ~ Real Balanced
Low-Carb Greek Peperoncini Chicken Salad ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Simple Creamy Chicken Salad ~ Two Sleevers
Low-Carb Curried Chicken Salad with Asparagus and Pine Nuts ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken (see notes)
- one 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 2 avocados, peeled and diced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 T fresh-squeezed lime juice (to toss with avocado)
- 10 radishes, washed, trimmed and cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (see notes)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 T olive oil
- 3 T mayo (see notes)
- 2 T fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. Green Tabasco Sauce
- If you don't have leftover cooked chicken, trim 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts to remove fat and undesirable parts, then poach with barely simmering water covering the chicken for about 15-20 minutes (depending on the thickness of the chicken.) Let chicken cool.
- While chicken cooks, put black beans into a colander placed in the sink and rinse well with cold water, until no more foam appears.
- Let beans drain while you whisk together the olive oil, mayo, lime juice, cumin, and Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link) to make the dressing. (I used 2 tsp. of Green Tobasco, but you might want to add one teaspoon and taste before you add the second teaspoon.)
- Put the well-drained beans into a bowl and toss with about half the dressing, then let beans marinate while you prep other ingredients.
- Peel avocado and cut into pieces about 1 inch square.
- Put the avocado pieces into a small bowl and toss with 1 T fresh lime juice.
- When the chicken is cool, cut into pieces about 3/4 inch square.
- Chop up the radishes, cutting them so each piece has some red skin showing for color.
- Slice green onions and chop cilantro.
- Add the chicken and chopped radishes to the beans and toss with additional dressing until the salad is as moist as you'd like it.
- Stir in the sliced green onions and chopped cilantro, then gently stir in the avocado.
- Season salad well with salt and fresh ground black pepper and serve right away.
- This will keep for a day in the fridge, but it's best freshly made.
Use 2 boneless-skinless chicken breasts, poached, cooled and cut up; or use leftover rotisserie chicken to make the 2 cups of diced chicken. Use more or less cilantro to taste; if you're a cilantro-hater I would just omit and double the green onion. Use any mayo you prefer for this recipe, but I wouldn't use fat-free mayo which has added sugar.
This recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 355Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 4gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 689mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 10gSugar: 1gProtein: 17g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This flavorful Chicken, Black Bean, Avocado, and Radish Salad with Lime and Cilantro is loaded with low-glycemic ingredients like chicken, black beans, avocados, and radishes. Both beans and avocados are limited foods for the South Beach Diet, but if you make this salad serve six as recommended, you can eat this for any phase of the diet. For a lower-carb version use less beans and more chicken, avocado, and radishes.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.