Beef and Sausage Meatloaf
This is the original version of my Beef and Sausage Meatloaf that has ground beef, Italian sausage, tomatoes, herbs, and Flax Seed and it’s grain-free and loaded with healthy ingredients and it tastes good too! Check out Beef and Sausage Italian Meatloaf to see the updated version of this recipe.
- 2 lbs. ground beef (see notes)
- 1 19.5 oz. pkg. hot turkey Italian Sausage (see notes)
- 1 14.5 oz. can petite dice tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 T dried chopped onion
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 T dried basil
- 1 T dried parsley
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal (see notes)
- 1 tsp. Salt (more or less to taste)
- 1 T ground fennel
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Spray roasting racks or loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- Squeeze turkey sausage out of casings in small pieces and put in mixing bowl with the ground beef so the meat can start to come to room temperature.
- Drain canned tomatoes into a colander placed in the sink. When they are well-drained, put them on cutting board and chop them a bit smaller.
- I used dry seasonings so they could help hold the meatloaf together. On top of the sausage and ground beef put Dried Onion (affiliate link), Garlic Powder (affiliate link), Dried Basil (affiliate link), Dried Parsley (affiliate link), salt, ground fennel (affiliate link), and Flaxseed Meal (affiliate link)
- Add chopped tomatoes, and eggs to meat mixture and use your clean hands to combine well
- Try to mix the meat enough to get spices and eggs evenly distributed without over-mixing. Shape meat into two loaves
- I prefer to bake meatloaf on a roasting rack so the fat can drip out. Using a rack also browns the meatloaf well on three sides, but use a regular baking sheet if that’s what you have
- Bake about one hour, or until the meatloaf is well done and shows 165F/75C on an Instant Read Meat Thermometer (affiliate link) or if you don’t have a meat thermometer cut one open and make sure the inside is completely done
- Let meatloaf cool a few minutes, then cut into slices and serve
- I’m not a big ketchup fan but I always eat this with G. Hughes Sugar-Free Ketchup (affiliate link)!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.