Cheesy Vegetarian Brown Rice Casserole
(This is an old recipe that has been replaced on the site with a lower-carb Cheesy Vegetarian Casserole with Cauliflower Rice. I am keeping the printer-friendly recipe for the original higher-carb version so anyone who was a fan of the recipe will still be able to find it.)
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice (see notes)
- one 14 oz. can vegetable broth, simmered to reduce
- 1 T mushroom base (optional, but recommended)
- 12 oz. mushrooms
- 1 large onion
- 4 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 tsp. + 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. Italian Herb Blend
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup grated Four Cheese Mexican Blend
- 1/4 cup grated Mozzarella
- Cook rice according to package directions to get about 4 1/2 cups cooked brown rice. I used my beloved Zojirushi Rice Cooker (affiliate link) to cook the rice.
- Spread hot rice out on a cookie sheet to cool while you prep other ingredients. As soon as rice is cool, transfer it to a large bowl (big enough to hold all the ingredients.)
- While rice cooks, put the stock (and mushroom base (affiliate link) if using) into a small saucepan and simmer to reduce the amount to 1 cup. (This concentrates the flavor, don’t skip this step.) Let stock cool.
- Chop mushrooms into pieces about 1/2 inch big, and chop onion into small pieces.
- Cut up the broccoli, chopping stems and cutting flowerets into small bite-sized pieces so you have 4 cups chopped broccoli.
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan, add mushrooms and saute over medium-high heat until they’re lightly browned and all liquid is evaporated, about 5-6 minutes. Put mushrooms in the bowl with the cooled rice.
- Heat the other 2 tsp. olive oil, add onions, and cook over medium-high heat until the onions are starting to brown, about 4-5 minutes. Add Italian herb blend and cook 1 minute more. Add the seasoned onions to the bowl with the rice.
- Put the broccoli in the microwave and cook 1 1/2 minutes at high power. (Or you can saute the broccoli for 2-3 minutes in the pan.) Drain broccoli and add to the rice.
- Gently combine the rice, mushrooms, onions, and broccoli in the bowl.
- Whisk together the sour cream and cooled stock; then stir in 1 cup grated sharp cheddar and 1/2 cup Four Cheese Mexican Blend. Gently stir the sauce and cheese mixture into the rice mixture and combine until all the ingredients are coated with sauce.
- Spray a 9 inch by 13 inch glass or crockery casserole dish (or comparable size) with non-stick spray and spread the casserole mixture into the dish, patting it down with the turner so it’s even. Sprinkle with the other 1/2 cup Four Cheese Mexican Blend and the 1/4 cup grated Mozzarella.
- Bake casserole uncovered until it’s bubbling and the top is lightly browned, about 35 minutes. Serve hot.