Mushroom, Green Pepper, and Feta Breakfast Casserole
Make this delicious Mushroom, Green Pepper, and Feta Breakfast Casserole on the weekend and eat it all week! And this low-carb breakfast casserole is also meatless and gluten-free.
It’s been more than ten years now since I started on my personal journey of carb-conscious eating, and if I had to pick one thing that’s helped me to stick with lower-carb eating, it would be low-carb recipes that can be made on the weekend and then reheated during the week. And there’s no doubt that Low-Carb Breakfast Casseroles would top my list of things to make every weekend. Just taking a few minutes to get a breakfast casserole like this into the oven gives me an easy breakfast that just takes a few minutes to reheat, and gets my week off to a good start.
This Mushroom, Green Pepper, and Feta Breakfast Casserole is something I first made years ago, and this combination for a meatless breakfast casserole is still one of my favorites. When I first made this recipe I liked using 18 eggs for a breakfast casserole like this, but now I prefer more veggies and cheese and a little less egg.
Breakfast casseroles are a great way to use leftover vegetables, so if you have anything in the fridge that might go well with mushrooms, bell peppers and feta, go ahead and throw it in! And I think this type of dish is a great Meatless Recipe for dinner as well!
Before you make this you may want to read Low-Carb and Keto Breakfast Casseroles which has instructions for different sizes of pans and ingredient options for this type of breakfast casserole, as well as 15+ of my favorite low-carb breakfast casserole recipes.
Steps for Making Mushroom, Green Pepper, and Feta Breakfast Casserole:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe including nutritional information:)
- Preheat oven and spray casserole dish with non-stick spray or olive oil. (I used a dish that was 10″ x 14″ but anything close to that size will work.)
- One at a time, saute sliced mushrooms and then chopped bell peppers and layer the veggies in the casserole dish.
- Crumble the Feta cheese over the vegetables.
- Then beat the eggs with Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) and black pepper and pour over the vegetable-cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle with green onions if using. I give it a little stir with a fork to get the veggies evenly distributed in the eggs.
- Bake in a preheated over at 375F/190C for 35-45 minutes, or until the eggs are set and the top is starting to lightly brown.
- Serve hot. I love this with a dollop of sour cream.
More Tasty Ideas for a Low-Carb Breakfast:
Twenty Favorite Low-Carb Breakfast Recipes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Instant Pot Keto Breakfast Casserole ~ All Day I Dream About Food
Low-Carb and Keto Breakfast Recipes Your Family Will Love ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Sausage, Spinach, and Feta Frittata ~ I Breathe I’m Hungry
Baked Eggs Skillet with Avocado and Spicy Tomatoes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Broccoli, Mushroom, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Casserole ~ The Perfect Pantry
Baked Eggs and Asparagus with Parmesan ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tsp. olive oil, to saute mushrooms and green peppers
- 1 cup crumbled feta (or more, to taste)
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning (see notes)
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 14 eggs
- 3 green onions, sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray 10 X 14 glass casserole dish with olive oil or non-stick spray. (Any dish that’s close to this size will work.)
- Wash mushrooms if needed and cut into thick slices.
- Cut out stem part of the green pepper and chop into pieces about 3/4 inch square.
- Heat non-stick frying pan to medium high, add small amount of olive oil, and saute mushrooms 4-5 minutes, until softened and starting to brown. Spread mushrooms in bottom of casserole dish.
- Add a bit more olive oil to frying pan if needed, and saute chopped green peppers until softened and partly cooked. Layer peppers over mushrooms.
- Crumble feta cheese over top of mushroom-pepper mixture. Season with Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) and black pepper. (Don’t add salt because Feta cheese is salty enough.) Sprinkle with sliced green onions if using.
- Beat the eggs until yolks and whites are well-combined and pour over mushrooms, peppers, and feta. Use a fork to gently stir the mixture so veggies and cheese are well-distributed in the eggs.
- Bake 35-50 minutes, or until casserole is firmly set and top is slightly browned.
- Serve hot. I like to eat it with a dollop of sour cream on top.
Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) is optional, but highly recommended; use another all-purpose seasoning if you don't have Spike.
Breakfast casseroles like this can be stored in the fridge for at least a week and reheat very well in the microwave or in a pan on top of the stove. If you’re heating in a microwave, be careful not to heat too long or the eggs will get rubbery.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 204Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 342mgSodium: 488mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 15g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Mushroom, Green Pepper, and Feta Breakfast Casserole is a perfect breakfast for any phase of the original South Beach Diet or any type of low-carb or low-glycemic eating plan.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.