Low-Carb Mushroom, Green Pepper, and Feta Breakfast Casserole
Make this Low-Carb Mushroom, Green Pepper, and Feta Breakfast Casserole on the weekend and eat it all week! And this tasty breakfast casserole is also meatless, gluten-free, and South Beach Diet Phase One.
It’s been more than ten years now since I started on my personal journey of carb-conscious eating, and if I had to pick one thing that’s helped me to stick with lower-carb eating, it would be low-carb recipes that can be made on the weekend and then reheated during the week. And there’s no doubt that topping that Low-Carb Breakfast Casseroles would top my list of things to make every weekend. Just taking a few minutes to get a breakfast casserole like this into the oven gives me an easy breakfast that just takes a few minutes to reheat, and gets my week off to a good start.
This Low-Carb Mushroom, Green Pepper, and Feta Breakfast Casserole is something I first made back in 2007, and this combination for a meatless breakfast casserole is still one of my favorites.
When I first made this recipe I liked using 18 eggs to a breakfast casserole like this, but now I prefer more veggies and cheese and a little less egg. Breakfast casseroles are a great way to use leftover vegetables, so if you have anything in the fridge that might go well with mushrooms, bell peppers and feta, go ahead and throw it in! And if you’re a fan of eggs for breakfast, don’t miss Ten More Delicious Meatless Recipes with Eggs after the recipe.
Before you make this you may want to read Basic Instructions for Low-Carb Breakfast Casseroles which has instructions for different sizes of pans and ingredient options for this type of breakfast casserole, as well as 15+ of my favorite low-carb breakfast casserole recipes.
I always feel a little more virtuous when I start the day with a healthy breakfast with lots of veggies, and making this on the weekend gets my week started off on the right track! (There are lots more Vegetarian Recipes in the recipe index. I also have a very active Meatless Monday Pinterest board with ideas from blogging friends.
One at a time, saute bell peppers and mushrooms and layer the veggies in a casserole dish that you’ve sprayed with olive oil or non-stick spray. (I used a dish that was 10″ x 14″ but anything close to that size will work.
Crumble the Feta cheese over the vegetables, then beat the eggs with Spike Seasoning and black pepper and pour over the vegetable-cheese mixture. Sprinkle with green onions if using. I give it a little stir with a fork to get the veggies evently distributed in the eggs.
Bake in a preheated over at 375F/190C for 35-45 minutes, or until the eggs are set and the top is starting to lightly brown.
Serve hot. I love this with a dollop of sour cream.
More Tasty Ideas for Breakfast:
Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker Breakfast Index ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Baked Eggs Skillet with Avocado and Spicy Tomatoes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Broccoli, Mushroom, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Casserole ~ The Perfect Pantry
Baked Eggs and Asparagus with Parmesan ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Mushroom, Green Pepper, and Feta Breakfast Casserole
Make this Low-Carb Mushroom, Green Pepper, and Feta Breakfast Casserole on the weekend and eat it all week!
- 8-12 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 large green bell pepper, coarsely chopped (or more)
- 1-2 tsp. olive oil, to saute mushrooms and green peppers
- 1 cup crumbled feta (more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning (optional, but highly recommended)
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 14 – 18 eggs
- 3 green onions, white and green parts, sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray 10 X 14 glass casserole dish with olive oil or non-stick spray. (Any dish that’s close to this size will work.)
- Wash mushrooms if needed and cut into thick slices. Cut out stem part of the green pepper and chop into pieces about 3/4 inch square.
- Heat non-stick frying pan to medium high, add small amount of olive oil, and saute mushrooms 4-5 minutes, until softened and starting to brown. Spread mushrooms in bottom of casserole dish.
- Add a bit more olive oil to frying pan if needed, and saute chopped green peppers until softened and partly cooked. Layer peppers over mushrooms.
- Crumble feta cheese over top of mushroom-pepper mixture. Season with Spike Seasoning and black pepper. (Don’t add salt because Feta cheese is salty enough.) Sprinkle with sliced green onions if using.
- Beat the eggs until yolks and whites are well-combined and pour over mushrooms, peppers, and feta. Use a fork to gently stir the mixture so veggies and cheese are well-distributed in the eggs.
- Bake 35-45 minutes, or until casserole is firmly set and top is slightly browned.
- Serve hot. I like to eat it with a dollop of sour cream on top.
Breakfast casseroles like this can be stored in the fridge for at least a week and reheat very well in the microwave or in a pan on top of the stove. (I used to freeze them but I no longer recommend that because the eggs break down and release liquid when they’ve been frozen.) If you’re heating in a microwave, be careful not to heat too long or the eggs will get rubbery.
Recipe created by Kalyn.All images and text ©
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Low-Carb Mushroom, Green Pepper, and Feta Breakfast Casserole is a perfect breakfast for any phase of the South Beach Diet or any type of low-carb or low-glycemic eating plan.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into Calorie Count, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.