White Fish with Parmesan Crust
White Fish with Parmesan Crust features fish that’s pan fried, topped with a crust of mayo and Parmesan, and browned under the broiler. Use any mild white fish for this recipe that’s very low in carbs and perfect for Keto.
We should all be eating more fish, and easy recipes for cooking fish are great to have in the dinner rotation. This White Fish with Parmesan Crust uses a flavorful fish rub before the fish is pan-fried and then it’s brushed with mayo, sprinkled with Parmesan, and finished under the broiler for a delicious result.
I first made this with Tilapia, but now I’d probably use another type of firm white fish fillets to make this recipe. But no matter what fish you use, I hope you’ll try this method of cooking fish a try; it just might become one of your favorites!
What ingredients do you need?
- white fish filets
- Szeged Fish Rub (affiliate link)
- Olive Oil (affiliate link)
What White Fish is suitable for this recipe?
What kind of fish should you use when a recipe calls for “white fish?” White fish refers to mild-flavored quick cooking fillets of fish such as tilapia, cod, bass, grouper, haddock, catfish, and snapper. You can also use thin pieces of halibut, Mahi Mahi, or Barramundi for this recipe.
What if you don’t have Szeged Fish Rub?
It’s probably obvious I’m a huge fan of Szeged Fish Rub (affiliate link). This is a product I use literally every time I cook fish. But if you don’t want to buy it, any spices or dried herbs that are good on fish will work fine for the recipe.
Want more low-carb fish dinners?
You can use The Best Low-Carb Fish and Seafood Recipes from Kalyn’s Kitchen for more tasty ideas for cooking fish.
How to Make White Fish with Parmesan Crust:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- I buy frozen fish from Costco and let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Let the fish come to room temperature before you cook it.
- I’m a big fan of Szeged Fish Rub (affiliate link), which I like so much I buy it in six-packs from Amazon.com and give it to my friends, but you can use any brand of fish rub to add flavor.
- Heat the oil and cook the fish only about 3-4 minutes per side because it will cook a little more under the broiler.
- Use a large turner to turn it carefully to cook the second side.
- Lay the fish pieces on a baking sheet and spread a tiny amount of mayonnaise over each piece of fish, just enough to keep the Parmesan sticking to the fish. Sprinkle Parmesan over each piece of fish.
- Then put the fish under a pre-heated broiler and broil until the cheese is melted and browned, about 3-4 minutes more. Serve hot.
Make it a Meal:
Serve with something like Cauliflower Rice with Basil, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts or Broccoli Gratin for a low-carb meal.
More Tasty Fish Dinner Ideas:
- 4 white fish filets (see notes)
- 1 T Szeged Fish Rub, (see notes)
- 1 T olive oil, or just enough to keep fish from sticking
- salt/pepper to taste
- 4 T mayo (see notes)
- 6 T grated Parmesan (see notes)
- Thaw frozen fish in the fridge overnight and let it come to room temperature before starting the recipe.
- Preheat broiler.
- Season fish on both sides with salt, pepper, and Szeged Fish Rub (affiliate link),
- Heat heavy frying pan, add olive oil, then saute fish until lightly browned on both sides and not quite cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Turn carefully and do not overcook, since it will be cooking a little more under the broiler.
- Take fish out of frying pan and put in ovenproof dish which will fit under your broiler.
- Spread mayo on the top of each piece of fish and top with Parmesan cheese. You want the top of the fish to be well covered with cheese.
- Broil until cheese is browned and melted, about 4 minutes but watch it carefully as broiler can differ in hotness.
- Serve hot, with lemon slices if desired.
You need about about 3/4 tsp. for each piece of fish. If you don't have Szeged Fish Rub (affiliate link), just use any brand of fish rub that you like. We used about 1 T mayo per piece of fish; use more or less mayo to taste. We used about 1 1/2 T grated Parmesan per piece of fish, other hard grating cheese like Mizithra, Romano, or Asiago cheese could also be used.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 389Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 188mgSodium: 574mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 52g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Fish is a great choice for the original South Beach Diet, and as long as you use a moderate amount of mayonnaise and Parmesan, this recipe would be fine for all phases of the diet. Low-Carb White Fish with Parmesan Crust would also be a good choice for other types of low-carb diet plans.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Easy to Cook to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was first posted in 2006! It was last updated with more information in 2021.