Seven Layer Dip Tostadas
Everyone who likes Seven Layer Dip is going to love these Seven Layer Dip Tostadas for an easy lunch idea! I use low-carb tortillas, and you can make this even lower in carbs by skipping the refried beans if you prefer!
I’m on a bit of a Mexican food kick this week, although truthfully the Seven Layer Dip Tostadas that I’m updating today with new photos are far from authentically Mexican! But this recipe absolutely does have Mexican flavors going on, with a crisped Low-Carb Tortillas topped with my family’s version of what makes up the seven layers in seven layer dip.
Did you look at the photo and count to see if there really were seven layers? And as you can tell, in my family we like a lot of olives on the Seven Layer Dip that always makes an appearance at every Denny family party.
And when I had the idea of crisping up the same Low-Carb Tortillas I use for so many tasty recipes and using them as the base for a tostada with all the ingredients normally used in Seven Layer Dip, the only question in my mind was why I’d never thought doing this sooner! Hope you enjoy for a lunch or light dinner, or cut them in quarters and serve as an appetizer!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- can of refried pinto beans (we used “restaurant style” beans which were great for this)
- guacamole, homemade or purchased
- sour cream
- Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning Mix, or use your favorite purchased Taco Seasoning
- grated Four Cheese Mexican Blend cheese
- green onions
- black olives
- Mission Carb Balance Low-Carb Tortillas (affiliate link) or other low-carb tortillas of your choice
- olive oil
What are the seven layers in Seven Layer Dip?
I’m guessing there are many variations on seven layer dip, but in my family the seven layers are always refried beans, guacamole, sour cream with Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning Mix stirred in, grated Mexican blend cheese, chopped tomatoes, sliced green onions, and sliced black olives. And we do like a lot of olives, as you can tell!
How can you make Seven Layer Dip Tostadas even lower in carbs?
If you use the low-carb tortillas I recommend (or another tortilla brand that’s low in carbs) and just a thin layer of refried beans, these tostadas are relatively low in net carbs. But if you want a version that’s even lower in carbs, just omit the refried beans and have six layers.
How to make Seven Layer Dip Tostadas:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- I used my favorite Mission Carb Balance Low-Carb Tortillas (affiliate link), but use any low-carb tortillas you prefer.
- Preheat the oven to 450F/230C with a baking sheet in the oven. Remove pan, brush on a little olive oil, and put tortillas on the baking sheet.
- Toast tortillas until they are crisp and barely starting to brown, turning several times.
- Assemble heated refried beans, sour cream with Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning mixed in, guacamole, grated cheese, chopped tomatoes, sliced black olives, and sliced green onions. (Those are the seven layers!)
- Spread a thin layer of refried beans on each tortilla. (Just omit the refried beans if you want a version with fewer carbs.)
- Top the refried beans with guacamole.
- Top that with the seasoned sour cream.
- Sprinkle on some finely grated cheese. (I used Four Cheese Mexican Blend from Costco, which is perfect for this recipe.)
- Top with diced tomatoes, thinly sliced green onions, and sliced olives.
- These are pretty easy to pick up and eat with your hands, but you want to make them just a few minutes before serving or the tortillas will get soggy.
- If you’re feeding kids, help them make their own and each one could choose the toppings they like!
More Ideas with Guacamole:
- Cilantro-Lover’s Perfect Guacamole
- Easy Low-Carb Guacamole Tostadas
- Cucumber Guacamole Appetizer Bites
Want more tasty dip recipes?
Check out 50+ Low-Carb and Keto Appetizer Recipes for lots more ideas for tasty dips!
- 8 oz. refried beans
- 3/4 cup guacamole (see notes)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp. Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning Mix (or use your favorite Taco Seasoning)
- 1 cup grated Four Cheese Mexican Blend
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 4 Mission Carb-Balance Low-Carb tortillas (see notes)
- olive oil for greasing baking sheet, about 2 tsp.
- Place a baking sheet inside the oven or toaster oven and let it get hot while you preheat oven to 450F/230C, about 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove baking sheet, drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil on it and spread around with a paper towel or pastry brush, and put flour tortillas on the baking sheet.
- Toast tortillas in the oven until they’re crisp and barely starting to brown, turning several times. This will take about 5 minutes, but watch them carefully.
- While tortillas are crisping, put the refried beans in a bowl, stir to break them apart, and microwave 2-3 minutes, or until they’re hot.
- Stir Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning Mix into the sour cream.
- Chop the onions, slice green onions, and slice the olives. (If you’re using homemade guacamole and cheese that needs to be grated you’ll need to prepare those as well.)
- Put crisped tortilla shell on a plate and top with ingredients in this order:
- –a thin layer of refried beans
- –a thin layer of guacamole
- –a thin layer of seasoned sour cream
- –several generous pinches of finely grated low-fat cheese
- –chopped tomatoes
- –thinly sliced green onions
- –sliced olives
- Serve right away, with salsa or hot sauce if desired. You can keep the topping ingredients in the fridge and crisp more tortillas later to use any leftovers.
I love Mission Carb Balance Low-Carb Tortillas (affiliate link) and that's what I'd use for this recipe
Nutritional info was calculated based on the Low-Carb Tortillas I used.
This recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 354Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 711mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 6gSugar: 3gProtein: 13g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Beans are high in carbs for low-carb diets, but these Seven Layer Dip Tostadas use a very moderate amount of refried beans and low-carb tortillas for about 13 net carbs per tostada. If you want a lower-carb version of this recipe, use the low-carb tortillas I used and skip the beans. with an approved tortilla, this tostada would be approved for phase 2 or 3 of the original South Beach Diet. South Beach would recommend light sour cream and low-fat cheese, and remember that avocados are limited to 1/2 per day if you’re making this for a South Beach Diet meal.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Lunches or Tortillas to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was first posted in 2011. The photos were updated and the recipe was updated with more information in 2023.