Roasted Asparagus Wrapped in Ham (Video)
Roasted Asparagus Wrapped in Ham is a delicious treat that would be lovely for Easter brunch or lunch, and it’s low-carb, Keto, low-glycemic, gluten-free, dairy-free, and South Beach Diet friendly. And if you choose the right ham, this could be Paleo or Whole 30 as well. Use Asparagus Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make Roasted Asparagus Wrapped In Ham!
It’s a sure sign of Spring when recipes featuring asparagus start popping up on the food blogs. Both of the markets where I shop regularly are selling low-priced asparagus, so I’ve been having fun experimenting with it lately. I’ve seen recipes using asparagus paired with prosciutto or bacon, but I thought I’d try asparagus roasted with lean ham, and it was a winner.The smoked and slightly browned ham paired wonderfully with the barely roasted asparagus, and Roasted Asparagus Wrapped in Ham is something that would make a nice addition to a menu for Easter brunch or lunch.
I made this twice, and it’s definitely best with asparagus spears that are a bit thicker. Cut off the woody ends of the asparagus, making the pieces all the same size. For this recipe packaged ham (where the pieces are all the same size) will work best. Roll a piece of ham around each asparagus spear, securing it with a toothpick. Spray the baking sheet with non-stick spray before you put the asparagus on. I staggered the pieces on the baking sheet so it wouldn’t be too hard to turn them.Roast the spears 8-10 minutes on the first side, until the ham is barely starting to get browned. Then turn and roast 5-7 minutes more, until the asparagus is barely tender-crisp and the ham is lightly browned on both sides. Serve hot.
More Recipe Ideas with Asparagus:
Chicken and Asparagus with Three Cheeses ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Smoked Paprika Roasted Asparagus ~ Cookin’ Canuck
Roasted Asparagus with Creamy Tahini-Peanut Dipping Sauce ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Roasted Asparagus with Manchego Cheese ~ The Perfect Pantry
Baked Eggs and Asparagus with Parmesan ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Asparagus Avocado Salad ~ Oh Sweet Basil
Roasted Asparagus Wrapped in Ham
Roasted Asparagus Wrapped in Ham is a delicious treat for lunch or holiday brunch!
- 1 lb. thick asparagus spears, woody ends trimmed
- 1 lb. smoked ham (packaged ham that’s cut into same-size pieces will work best)
- Preheat oven to 400F/205C.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray. (If you have two or more baking sheets, and room in the oven, you can cook all the wrapped asparagus at once.)
- Trim the woody ends of asparagus spears, making all pieces the same size.
- Roll a piece of ham around each piece of asparagus, securing with a toothpick inserted horizontally so the piece of asparagus will lay flat on the baking sheet.
- Lay asparagus on the sprayed baking sheet, staggering the pieces so you’ll be able to turn them.
- Roast asparagus for 8-10 minutes on the first side, or until the ham is lightly browned.
- Turn asparagus pieces over and roast 5-7 minutes more on the second side, until asparagus is barely tender-crisp and ham is lightly browned on both sides.
- Repeat with more asparagus pieces if you’re only using one baking sheet.
- Serve hot, with mustard dipping sauce on the side if desired.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Roasted Asparagus Wrapped in Ham is low-carb, Keto, low-glycemic, and South Beach Diet friendly, and it’s also Paleo if you use ham that doesn’t have added sugar or honey.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.