Frittata with Canadian Bacon, Green Onions, and Cheese
This low-carb Frittata with Canadian Bacon, Green Onions, and Cheese is easy and delicious; make this with ham or bacon if you don’t have Canadian bacon!
The first time I made this Frittata with Canadian Bacon, Green Onions, and Cheese, I was just making something for breakfast and not necessarily planning to post it on the blog. After I had eaten some though, I liked this flavor combination so much, I made it again and took some photos. Canadian bacon is tasty and low in carbs, and I’m not sure why I haven’t cooked with it more.
But of course you can make this tasty frittata with diced cooked ham or crumbled crisp bacon if you don’t have any Canadian bacon! I do hope you don’t skip the green onions though; I thought they added a nice flavor to this tasty breakfast dish.
What is Canadian Bacon?
Canadian Bacon is also called Irish Bacon, English Bacon, or back bacon (and in Canada it’s just called bacon!) What Americans call Canadian bacon is actually more like ham, and it’s a lean type of bacon made from the pork loin. Here’s more about Canadian Bacon if you’re not familiar with it.
How to Make Frittata with Canadian Bacon, Green Onions, and Cheese:
(Scroll down for complete recipe including nutritional information.)
- You probably don’t have to cut off the rind of the Canadian bacon before you chop into pieces, but I don’t especially like eating the rind! Chop up the Canadian Bacon into small pieces and prepare some sliced green onions. I used 4-Cheese Mexican Blend from Costco for the cheese. Beat the eggs so they’re well combined.
- Heat the olive oil, then cook the Canadian bacon and green onions just 1-2 minutes to release the flavors.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the green onion-Canadian bacon mixture, then immediately pour over beaten eggs.
- Cover the pan and let frittata cook 10-12 minutes on medium-low heat, until eggs are set and slightly puffed up. (Start preheating the broiler if you’re planning to brown the top of the frittata.)
- If desired, put the frittata under the broiler for a few minutes to brown the top. (The broiler on my new stove is so hot, I have to be really careful not to burn it, so keep an eye on it.)
- Sprinkle with more green onions to garnish and serve hot.
More Frittatas You Might Like:
Asparagus and Tomato Frittata with Havarti and Dill from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Frittata with Broccoli and Garden Herbs from The Perfect Pantry
Asparagus Frittata with Fresh Mozzarella from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Spinach and Mushroom Frittata from Cooking By the Seat of My Pants
Feta Cheese and Avocado Frittata from Kalyn’s Kitchen
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2/3 C diced Canadian bacon
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion + 1 T for garnish
- 1 C grated cheese (see notes)
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (or more, see notes)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in heavy non-stick 10 inch frying pan or frittata pan. (Use a pan that can go under the broiler if you plan to brown the frittata.)
- Add diced Canadian bacon and sliced green onions and cook on medium-low heat 1-2 minutes to release flavors.
- While Canadian bacon and green onions cook, break eggs into small bowl, beat together, and season with Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), salt, and pepper.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over the Canadian Bacon and green onions in the pan, then immediately pour in eggs. (I stir gently with a fork to get ingredients well distributed.)
- Start to preheat the broiler now if you plan to brown the top.
- Cover pan and cook on medium-low heat for 10-12 minutes, or until eggs are barely firm and frittata is slightly puffed up.
- If you want to brown the top, place under preheated broiler and cook 2-3 minutes, watching carefully. You might need to rotate it to get the top evenly browned.
- Cut frittata into 4 wedges, sprinkle with green onions if desired, and serve hot.
- This is great with a dollop of sour cream on each piece.
I used a 10 inch non-stick pan to make this. You could use an 8 inch pan, but the frittata will be a bit thicker.
I used 4-Cheese Mexican Blend from Costco for the cheese. I love Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) with eggs, but use any all-purpose spice blend you have on hand.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 335Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 425mgSodium: 1039mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 30g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Low-Carb Frittata with Canadian Bacon, Green Onions, and Cheese is a great low-glycemic and low-carb breakfast option and also great for any phase of the original South Beach Diet. If you’re following a low-carb/high-fat plan you might want to use marbled ham instead of Canadian bacon.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.