Chicken and Black Bean Salad
Chicken and Black Bean Salad has red pepper, green onion, and a delicious spicy avocado dressing, and this is a delicious salad for summer. For a lower carb version, use less beans and more chicken and peppers.
Chicken and Black Bean Salad is going to be a winner when it’s hot, hot, hot outside and you’re looking for a cold side dish to take to a party or just something that’s an eat-it-cold meal idea. The salad has chicken, black beans, red bell pepper, green onions, and spicy avocado dressing, which is a fabulous combination of great flavors! And if you really want to avoid cooking you can make this with leftover rotisserie chicken, but if you don’t have any of that poaching two chicken breasts is still pretty quick and easy.
This salad stayed good in the fridge for several days, especially if you stir in a little more of the spicy avocado dressing to perk up the flavors. Enjoy!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- cooked chicken
- canned black beans
- red bell pepper
- green onion
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Easy Avocado Sauce
- buttermilk or milk
How to make this recipe:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- If you don’t have leftover rotisserie chicken, start by poaching two trimmed chicken breasts in about 3 cups chicken stock or water.
- While the chicken cooks, make Easy Avocado Sauce, then mix 3 tablespoons of buttermilk (or milk) into one cup of the dip to make this dressing.
- As soon as the chicken is cool, chop it (or chop the rotisserie chicken) into 1/2 inch pieces. If you want a salad with even less carbs, use more chicken and less beans.
- Mix the chicken with about half the dressing, and let it marinate while you prep the other ingredients.
- Rinse a can of black beans and let them drain well.
- Finely chop a red bell pepper.
- Slice up enough of the green ends of green onions to make 1/2 cup sliced green onions.
- Stir the black beans, diced red pepper, and green onion into the chicken/dressing mixture; add more dressing until the salad is well-moistened, and season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- This can be served right away or chilled.
- You will probably have a little dressing left over; save the extra to mix into leftovers or to use on another salad.
More Salads with Black Beans, Peppers, or Avocados:
Chicken and Avocado Salad with Lime and Cilantro ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Southwestern Quinoa Salad with Black Beans, Red Bell Pepper, and Cilantro ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Black Bean and Pepper Salad with Cilantro and Lime ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 4 cups diced, cooked chicken breast (see notes)
- one 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion, green part preferred
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup Ultra Easy Avocado Sauce or Dip
- 3 T buttermilk or milk
- If starting with chicken breasts, trim the chicken breasts so no visible fat remains. Put chicken in a small flat pan, add just enough chicken stock or water to barely cover the chicken (about 3 cups) and cook at a very low simmer just until chicken is cooked through (about 12 minutes).
- Let chicken cool and proceed with the recipe.
- Make Ultra Easy Avocado Sauce or Dip.
- Combine 1 cup of the dip with 3 tablespoons of buttermilk or milk to make the dressing.
- Chop the cooled poached chicken or rotisserie chicken into 1/2 inch pieces until you have about 4 cups diced chicken.
- Mix about 1/2 cup of the dressing with the chicken and let it marinate while you prep other ingredients.
- Drain black beans into a colander placed in the sink and rinse well with cold water until no more foam appears, then let beans drain well.
- Cut away the stem and remove seeds from the red bell pepper, then chop into small dice, about 1/4 inch square.
- Slice green parts of the green onions to get 1/2 cup sliced green onion.
- Mix the drained black beans, diced red bell pepper, and sliced green onions into the chicken/dressing mixture and add more dressing to taste, until all the ingredients are lightly coated with dressing. (You may not need all the dressing.)
- Season salad to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- This can be served right away or chilled for a few hours before serving.
- This salad keeps well for a day or two in the refrigerator but I liked it best with a little extra dressing mixed in after it had been refrigerated.
You can start with two chicken breasts and poach them, or use diced rotisserie chicken to get the diced chicken.
This recipe created by Kalyn with inspiration from Ultra Easy Avocado Sauce or Dip.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 324Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 631mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 8gSugar: 3gProtein: 36g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
The chicken, black beans, red bell peppers, and green onions are all wonderfully low-glycemic ingredients for the South Beach Diet. Avocados are a limited food, even though they contain good fat, but the avocado dressing here is made with mostly buttermilk so the amount used for this salad should be fine for any phase of the diet. For other low-carb diet plans, make this Chicken, Black Bean, and Red Pepper Salad with Spicy Avocado Dressing lower in carbs by using more chicken and pepper and less beans.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Salad Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.