Chicken and Black Bean Salad
(This Chicken and Black Bean Salad has been archived on the site. I am keeping the printer-friendly recipe here so anyone who enjoyed the recipe can still find it.)
- 4 cups diced, cooked chicken breast (see notes)
- one 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion, green part preferred
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup Easy Avocado Sauce
- 3 T buttermilk or milk
- If starting with chicken breasts, trim the chicken breasts so no visible fat remains. Put chicken in a small flat pan, add just enough chicken stock or water to barely cover the chicken (about 3 cups) and cook at a very low simmer just until chicken is cooked through (about 12 minutes).
- Let chicken cool and proceed with the recipe.
- Make Easy Avocado Sauce.
- Combine 1 cup of the dip with 3 tablespoons of buttermilk or milk to make the dressing.
- Chop the cooled poached chicken or rotisserie chicken into 1/2 inch pieces until you have about 4 cups diced chicken.
- Mix about 1/2 cup of the dressing with the chicken and let it marinate while you prep other ingredients.
- Drain black beans into a colander placed in the sink and rinse well with cold water until no more foam appears, then let beans drain well.
- Cut away the stem and remove seeds from the red bell pepper, then chop into small dice, about 1/4 inch square.
- Slice green parts of the green onions to get 1/2 cup sliced green onion.
- Mix the drained black beans, diced red bell pepper, and sliced green onions into the chicken/dressing mixture and add more dressing to taste, until all the ingredients are lightly coated with dressing. (You may not need all the dressing.)
- Season salad to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- This can be served right away or chilled for a few hours before serving.
- This salad keeps well for a day or two in the refrigerator but I liked it best with a little extra dressing mixed in after it had been refrigerated.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.