Mashed Cauliflower with Cheese and Dill
Mashed Cauliflower with Cheese and Dill is the first recipe for cauliflower mash I ever posted on Kalyn’s Kitchen! And even now that mashed cauliflower has become mainstream and there are endless variations, the flavors here are still a winner!
For about a month now I’ve been fixated on dill, and here I am using dill again. I loved this Mashed Cauliflower with Cheese and Dill and how can you go wrong with cauliflower, dill, feta, and other cheeses? The recipe was adapted from Dill and Colby Mashed Cauliflower by Sue at Coffee and Cornbread. Unfortunately I’ve loved my fresh dill so much that it’s been trimmed within an inch of it’s life, so I’ll have to ignore it and let some feathery leaves grow out before I can have another dill frenzy.
I shared a lot of information about how to grow and use dill when I posted the recipe for Leftover Salmon Salad with Yogurt and Dill, so I won’t repeat all that again. When I started using the fresh dill from this year’s garden, I couldn’t figure out why I’d been lukewarm about dill before now. And if you’re lucky enough to have dill in your herb garden, this is such a tasty way to use it! And of course cauliflower mash is a perfect side dish for anyone who is watching carbs!
How to Make Mashed Cauliflower with Cheese and Dill:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- I boiled my cauliflower in salted water about 20 minutes, then let it drain in a colander for about 5 minutes.
- I mashed the cauliflower with a potato masher and mixed in butter, the dill, and salt and pepper.
- Then I switched to a hand mixer when I added the milk, grated cheese, and feta. You could still use a hand masher if you’d like a chunkier texture, or even a food processor if you want a more blended texture.
- Season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper and enjoy!
More Tasty Cauliflower Recipes to Try:
Instant Pot Low-Carb Loaded Cauliflower Mash (Like loaded baked potatoes but without the carbs!)
Pureed Cauliflower with Garlic, Parmesan, and Goat Cheese (This one is always a hit for a side dish.)
Twice-Baked Cauliflower (Wildly popular recipe for cheesy cauliflower with bacon!)
Roasted Cauliflower with with Lemon, Curry, and Cumin (So many good flavors in a roasted cauliflower dish.)
- 1 large head cauliflower (see notes)
- salt, for water to cook cauliflower
- 1 T butter
- 3 T finely chopped fresh dill (see notes)
- 1 tsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 T half and half (see notes)
- 1/2 C grated cheese
- 1/4 C crumbled Feta cheese (see notes)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Wash cauliflower and remove core, then cut and break into small flowerets.
- Bring a large pot water to a boil, add a generous amount of salt, and boil cauliflower until it is quite soft, about 20 minutes.
- Pour cauliflower into a colander and let it drain well for about 5 minutes. (Don’t rush the draining step or the dish will probably be too watery.)
- When cauliflower is well drained, pour back into cooking pot and add butter, lemon juice, and chopped fresh dill.
- Mash with potato masher, until ingredients are well mixed.
- Add half and half and both types of cheese and mash again until cheese is mixed in and cauliflower is quite soft. You can use an electric beater or food processer for the final mashing if you prefer.
- Taste cauliflower and season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- You may need to put it back on the stove and warm for 2-3 minutes before serving. Serve hot.
I had about 5 cups cauliflower flowerets for this recipe. You can use a smaller amount of dried dill weed if fresh dill is not available but fresh dill is definitely better! Use heavy cream, half and half, or milk for this recipe, whichever you prefer. You could use 3/4 cup of any types of cheese that you like instead, but I liked the touch of Feta in this.
Recipe adapted slightly from Coffee and Cornbread.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 133Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 368mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 6gSugar: 5gProtein: 8g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Mashed Cauliflower with Cheese and Dill is a great dish for low-carb diet plans, and for any phase of the South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Cauliflower Recipes for more tasty ideas for cauliflower! Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.