Chicken, Black Bean, and Cilantro Soup
This tasty Chicken, Black Bean and Cilantro Soup is low-glycemic, gluten-free, and South Beach Diet friendly. Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
Salt Lake has gotten about 24 inches of snow in the last 24 hours, and I could use some comfort food, so this delicious Chicken, Black Bean, and Cilantro Soup sounds perfect. This is a quick and easy recipe, especially if you have some leftover rotisserie chicken in the fridge.
If you’re a regular reader you know I’m constantly going through the archives of the blog and updating old posts with new photos. And the new photos here are a big improvement over the original photo, with soup spilled all over the edge of the bowl! Hopefully the new photo will convince you that this is a very tasty soup. I’m a better cook now than I was then, so I’m also updating the recipe with slightly better instructions. Best of all, if you have leftover rotisserie chicken, you can have this on the table in about 30-40 minutes.
Heat the oil in a heavy soup pot, then saute the diced onion and celery about 3-5 minutes, until they are soft but not browned. Add the ground cumin, chili powder, celery seed, and garlic and saute about 2 minutes more. Add chicken stock, vegetable broth, canned tomatoes, and salsa and let simmer 10 minutes. (Boring photo, but this is an important step.)
While the soup simmer diced up some cooked chicken into small pieces until you have about 2 cups diced chicken. Add the chicken and 1 or 2 cans of black beans to the soup, taste to see if you want to add the green Tabasco Sauce, then simmer on low about 15-20 minutes. While this mixture simmers wash, spin dry, and chop enough fresh cilantro to make 1 cup chopped cilantro. (You can use less, but I wouldn’t!)
Add the cilantro and let the simmer simmer 5 minutes more. Then add 3 T fresh-squeezed lime juice and simmer 2-3 minutes more. Serve hot, with cut limes to squeeze into the soup and sour cream if desired.
More Soups for People Who Like Cilantro:
Coconut and Lime Chicken and Rice Soup from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Pressure Cooker Spicy Pinto Bean Soup with Ham, Tomatoes, and Cilantro from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Chickpeas, Ginger, and Coriander Soup from Pinch My Salt
Carrot and Cilantro Soup from He Cooks, She Cooks
Minced Beef and Cilantro Soup from Cooking with the Single Guy
Chicken, Black Bean, and Cilantro Soup
This Chicken, Black Bean and Cilantro Soup is a quick and easy option for a tasty dinner.
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 1 cup celery, diced small (use celery leaves too if available)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 T ground cumin
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 tsp. celery seed
- 1 tsp. garlic powder or garlic puree
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock (or 2 cans chicken broth)
- 1 can vegetable broth
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup salsa (I used Pace Picante Sauce)
- 6-8 drops Green Tabasco Sauce or your favorite hot sauce (taste to see if you want this)
- 1 or 2 cans black beans (not drained unless you choose to rinse the beans to reduce the amount of sodium)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut in very small pieces (leftover rotisserie chicken is great for this)
- 1 cup chopped cilantro leaves and stems (chop the stems very small), plus more for serving if desired
- 3 T fresh lime juice
- cut limes, for serving (optional)
- sour cream, for serving (optional)
- In a large heavy soup pot, saute onions and celery in olive oil 3-5 minutes, until soft but not browned.
- Add the ground cumin, chile powder, celery seed, and garlic and saute about 2 minutes more.
- Add the chicken stock, vegetable broth, tomatoes, and salsa, and simmer 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, taste for hotness and add green Tabasco if desired.
- Add black beans and chicken and simmer 15-20 minutes more.
- While the soup simmer, wash, dry and chop enough fresh cilantro to make 1 cup chopped cilantro. and squeeze enough limes to make 3 T juice.
- After 15-20 minutes, add the chopped cilantro and simmer 5 minutes, then add lime juice and cook 2-3 minutes more.
- Serve hot with fresh limes to squeeze into the soup, with sour cream and additional chopped cilantro to sprinkle on top if desired.
- To make a delicious vegetarian soup, use 3 cans vegetable broth and eliminate the chicken stock, and 3 cans black beans and eliminate the chicken.
This recipe created by Kalyn.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Black beans are actually allowed for any phase of the South Beach Diet and other low-glycemic diet plans, although the portion size is limited for South Beach Diet Phase One. The black beans would make this Chicken, Black Bean and Cilantro Soup too high in carbs for a low-carb diet, but you can make a lower-carb soup by using 4 cups of cooked chicken and eliminating or cutting down on the beans.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.