Kalyn’s Kitchen Celebrates a Birthday with Four Questions for Readers
(Four Year Birthday Graphic from ClipArtStock.net)
It sounds like a cliche, but when I wrote the first post on Kalyn’s Kitchen four years ago, I never imagined how much this blog would change my life. I was just a fourth grade teacher who liked to cook, and I’d never thought about photographing my food or writing about it on the internet. Now I’ve got shelves full of “blog dishes,” a collection of notebooks filled with recipe notes, and I’m about to trade a 30 year teaching career for the job title of food blogger. I feel constantly thankful for all the good things blogging has brought into my life, not the least of which is connections I’ve formed with other bloggers and readers from all over the world.
As my nephew Ethan once said to his mom when they arrived home from the store with his birthday party decorations, “Let’s get this party started.” For my birthday, I’d like to take the day off and let those who are reading talk about themselves for a change. If you feel like playing along, here are some questions to talk about in the comments:
- What’s one way your life is different than it was four years ago?
- How did you find the blog and how long have you been reading?
- If today was your birthday, what would you want on the menu?
- What should Kalyn be sure to do once she’s retired?
Thanks to everyone who’s been reading, commenting, or providing moral support these last four years. In the moral support department, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention my brother Rand and his partner Bradley who are the design and technological brains behind Kalyn’s Kitchen. I’m also grateful for the many blogging friends who inspire, motivate, and nurture me daily as I write this ongoing chronicle of what’s on the menu in Kalyn’s Kitchen.
More Blog Birthdays:
Kalyn’s Kitchen Turns One
Kalyn’s Kitchen Turns Two
Kalyn’s Kitchen Turns Three
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
79 Comments on “Kalyn’s Kitchen Celebrates a Birthday with Four Questions for Readers”
First, Happy Birthday! And thanks very much for your blog. It’s been very helpful to me. And now to your questions:
1. Four years ago, I wasn’t diabetic; now I am, but with better blood sugar and lipid scores than I’ve ever had in my life (to my knowledge).
2. I found this blog, oh, about two years ago, while searching for South Beach recipes!
3. Strawberry cake made with, among other things, coconut flour, coconut milk, real strawberries (heck, throw in some raspberries, too!), and sweetened with some stevia and a little honey.
4. Uh, don’t. Retire, I mean. At least not from blogging. 🙂
I eat a mostly paleo diet, which of course tends to be low glycemic. Your blog has given me lots of food ideas, and so it’s helped to keep life interesting these last couple of years. Thanks very much!
Happy Blog Birthday!
1. Four years ago, I was 25lbs heavier and not too happy with my life. Today I’m an avid runner and sports fanatic, and I have a great group of friends.
2. I’ve been reading your blog for a few years now… I think I linked to it… possibly from Cookie Madness.
3. Sweet potato fries, your baked chicken stuffed with pesto and cheese, and my mom’s strawberry shortcake.
4. Definitely travel. You HAVE to see how other cultures do food. I know it’s changed the way I cook. And work out in your garden. I bet you could grow some decent-sized vegetables and win some contests! Oh, and it seems you like taking pictures.. how about getting into food photography? Wouldn’t it be neat to see your picture (of your recipe) on the cover of Good Housekeeping?!
Congrats again! -Rhapsody
Happy Blog Birthday! Don’t remember how I found your blog but I’m glad I did. I love it. Keep up the great work here.
Happy Birthday and nice to meet you!
What’s one way your life is different than it was four years ago? We bought a house three years ago so now my life is filled with all those “home-owner” things including gardening which I love.
How did you find the blog and how long have you been reading? I do not remember how long I’ve been reading, but I remember Laura Black and Robin Frodge talking about it which is why I looked it up in the first place. Maybe three years?
If today was your birthday, what would you want on the menu? I am silly. My favorite bday dinner is what I would always ask my mom for: chicken divan casserole and a cake from Mrs. Backer’s.
What should Kalyn be sure to do once she’s retired? Keep on enjoying life, traveling, writing, reading….and be proud of your 30 years in the classroom – that is a huge accomplishment that has touched thousands of lives.
Happy Birthday Kalyn!
1. I am 55 pounds lighter and much healthier thanks to South Beach Diet.
2. I found your blog thru a South Beach Yahoo group
3. A beautiful steak and King Crab Legs, baked sweet potatoe and baby portabello mushrooms
4. Go on a Panama Canal Cruise! We did one for our 30th wedding anniversary and it was the best 2 weeks!
Happy Birthday! Love your blog and have tried many of your recipes.
4 years ago we lived in AZ, now we live in KS. We also only had three boys, now we four!
Found your blog most likely through Anna at Cookie Madness.
Dinner–hmmm, almost anything I didn’t have to make myself!
Once you’ve retired from teaching, definitely get in to the food world more and don’t leave us! 😉
What’s one way your life is different than it was four years ago? I read online instead of paper (still buy newspaper subscription and magazine subscriptions, but most of my reading time is via the internet).
How did you find the blog and how long have you been reading? I believe I googled for South Beach Diet recipes or meals. Kept on reading because the content is enjoyable: the friendly tone, the pictures, the step-by-step instructions and the links to products I might want to try.
I suppose I’ve been reading over a year but less than one year?
This is one of the few food blogs I forward to recipe collectors.
If today was your birthday, what would you want on the menu? Migas Enchiladas with Chipotle sauce from Trudy’s Austin TX
Bloody Mary, also at Trudy’s (very flavorful and they are generous with the garnishment)
My Mom’s cheesecake with blueberry topping
What should Kalyn be sure to do once she’s retired? Let us know how it is, the good and the bad and any warnings for those of us contemplating it too.
LOVE YOUR BLOG, THANK YOU
1. I’m in a better job and am in a healthier frame of mind than 4 years ago.
2. I found your awesome blog through another site earlier this month.
3. For my birthday, I’d probably opt for Chinese or Thai cuisine.
4. Maybe publish a cookbook of all the recipes from your blog – but definitely keep the blog rolling!!!! Also enjoy retirement, whatever you decide to do.
Four years ago, eh? After I'd decided to quit teaching–English, high school and middle school–after a disastrous year under the thumb of a tyrannical principal, I was pursuing a new dream: I wanted to be a book editor living in NYC.
I was just finishing my first year of grad school four years ago, and two weeks from taking a trip that would forever change the course of my life. (I flew 4000 miles to meet a friend I'd met through Bookcrossing, who I afterward couldn't imagine living without and who I married in Dec 2007 and move to BC with shortly thereafter.)
As to what you should do post-retirement (congrats, by the way!)… never, ever be bored. I encourage local travel. I've always been amazed at how many fun things are happening within an hour of anyplace I've lived. Do you have volunteering on your list of things to do?
I don't know what social facilities you have in your area, but if you were here, I might be asking you to volunteer with a kind of occupational rehab through our brain injury society–so many people with brain injuries can't handle making even boxed mac & cheese anymore. One of our clients said she's scorched every pot and pan in her kitchen since her accident. (Don't know what you know about brain injury–highly recommend these books for further reading if you're interested: http://tinyurl.com/6kwcjd & http://tinyurl.com/ck72cu.)
Happy Birthday Kalyn!
I think you could help new teachers, like me who got discouraged. and quit. (a blog?) : )
You have so inspired me, not just by your cooking, but the overall tone of your blog. Thank you!
1. I took a nap almost every day.
2. My smart, talented sister told me about it.
3. Big thick frosted sugar cookies that are soft and chewy in the middle.
4. Visit California more often.
Congrats on turning four. Amazing. I love you.
Happy Blog Birthday Kalyn!
1) I think as I’m growing older, I’m feeling more sure of myself.
2) Probably through a Weekend Herb Blogging post on someone else’s blog. At least 3 years.
4) You have to definitely come visit Australia! 🙂
Congratulations, Kalyn! I’m up for playing along. 🙂
1. In the past four years I’ve gotten a promotion, gotten married, quit that job, moved to another state, and started a food blog.
2. I have been reading your blog for about a year. I started noticing that your recipes kept coming up again and again when I was bookmarking recipes I like and added it to my feed reader.
3. Not sure, but I would want to go to my favorite local restaurant and get something seasonal– preferable involving morels or ramps.
4. Travel! You have no restrictions on your time!
Can’t believe it’s four years.
1. It’s weird but people know who I am for my blog not my published writing.
2. I found you as a refuge in Weekend Herb Blogging during the craze of weekend cat and dog blogging. remember those crazy days? So I’ve been reading from nearly the beginning.
3. White peaches and prosecco.
4. Come visit Australian food bloggers. If you can make MArch 2010 maybe you could join the food blogger conference we are trying to plan as part of the Melbourne Food and Wine Festival. Always welcome to stay as long as you don’t mind small dogs.
I am having so much fun reading the comments as I publish them! Lots of fun retirement ideas too. Thanks everyone for taking time to play along.
I eat a lot cleaner and healthier than 4 years ago.
I came across your blog from googling for a recipe and linked me to your blog. It’s been about a year since I’ve been reading your blog.
I would like to have grilled salmon, grain side dish, roasted vegetables.
Kalyn should continue blogging. Go to Paris or Italy and learn how to cook well…then blog and share. That is probably what I would like to do when I retire.
Happy Blogiverary! and Happy retirement!!
wow, your site is wonderful!
i will enjoy reading it!
XOXO Diet Diva!
(Sorry to edit, but I can’t allow people to leave links like that in comments or I’ll be overwhelmed with that kind of comment.
my life is totally different, i’m married to the best person i’ve ever met, moved from cali to az, my son is grown so much (now 6). im happier than i’ve ever been!
ive been reading a whole 2 days! found it on google searching for a tzatziki recipe.
i would want sushi, lot of it. and banana cream pie for dessert!
you should do whatever your heart desires! every day!