Grilled Curried Chicken Skewers with Spicy Peanut Sauce (Video)
These Grilled Curried Chicken Skewers with Spicy Peanut Sauce are so tasty for an easy dinner from the grill! And this easy and tasty recipe is low-carb, gluten-free, and South Beach Diet friendly. Use Grilling Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make
Grilled Curried Chicken Skewers with Spicy Peanut Sauce!
I love having a grill that’s on a covered deck, so even when summer is kind of winding down I can make things like these Grilled Curried Chicken Skewers with Spicy Peanut Sauce for a few more months. The chicken skewers were adapted from a recipe in, Fine Cooking Annual, a cookbook where I’ve loved every recipe I’ve tried.
In the book they were appetizer-sized chicken satays, but I cut the chicken bigger, marinated it longer, and made them for an entree. I’ve made these several times since I first posted the recipe in April 2007 (obviously cooking under a covered deck then as well, although it was on the front porch in those days.) I finally got organized and took a new photo, which really shows off how tasty this recipe is!
Trim the boneless, skinless chicken breasts and cut each one in half lengthwise to make two strips. Mix soy sauce, lemon juice, peanut oil, garlic puree, and curry powder to make the marinade. Put the chicken strips and marinade in a plastic bag and marinate a few hours, or longer.
When you’re ready to cook, drain the chicken and let it come to room temperature, then thread it on skewers. (I love to use Double Kabob Skewers, which keep the meat from spinning when it’s on the grill. Mix together the soy sauce, lemon juice, peanut butter, coconut milk, sweetener of your choice, and Cayenne pepper to make the sauce and heat it over low heat. (This sauce is so good, I might double it or triple it so you have extra!
Grill chicken over medium-high heat, turning the kabobs every few minutes, until the chicken is nicely done and feels firm (but not hard to the touch.) The original recipe said 15-20 minutes, but with my new natural gas grill I cooked them 12 minutes and they were perfect.
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
More Recipes with Chicken and Curry:
Cheesy Creamy Low-Carb Chicken Broccoli Curry Casserole
Low-Carb Curried Chicken Salad with Asparagus and Pine Nuts
Chicken Breasts with Cilantro and Red Thai Curry Peanut Sauce
Low-Carb Chicken and Asparagus Bake with Creamy Curry Sauce
Grilled Curried Chicken Skewers with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Grilled Curried Chicken Skewers with Spicy Peanut Sauce are such an easy and tasty recipe for the grill!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 T soy sauce (be sure to use gluten-free soy sauce if needed)
- 2 T fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 2 tsp. garlic puree
- 1 tsp. curry powder
Peanut Sauce Ingredients:
- This sauce is good on so many things, I recommend doubling or tripling the amounts here.
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter (without sugar, regular or chunky)
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp. sweetener of your choice
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. Cayenne pepper
- Trim all visible fat and tendons from chicken breasts and cut each breast in half lengthwise to make two strips.
- Combine marinade ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Put chicken pieces and in Ziploc bag, pour in marinade, then seal bag and turn over several times so chicken is well-coated with marinade.
- Let marinate in refrigerator, a minimum of a few hours, or all day.
- To cook chicken, first spray grill with olive oil or nonstick grill spray, or wipe with paper towel dipped in oil if you don’t have an olive oil mister.
- Preheat charcoal or gas grill to medium high (you can only hold your hand there for a few seconds.)
- Thread two chicken pieces onto each skewer, folding back and forth as many times as you can to get a lot of the chicken surface exposed to the grill.
- Grill chicken, turning every 3-4 minutes, until it’s nicely browned and feels firm (but not hard) to the touch.
- (When I first posted this recipe I said the cooking time was about 15-20 minutes, but on my new natural gas grill they were perfectly cooked in 12 minutes, so check them as you cook for the time on your grill.
- While chicken grills, whisk together soy sauce, lemon juice, peanut butter, coconut milk, sweetener of your coice, and cayenne pepper in small saucepan.
- Heat over low heat, thinning sauce with a little water if it thickens too much.
- Serve chicken hot, with some sauce on the side for dipping chicken pieces.
This recipe adapted from Fine Cooking Annual.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Grilled Curried Chicken Skewers with Spicy Peanut Sauce are a perfect main course for low-carb and low-glycemic diets and any phase of the South Beach Diet, as long as you use an approved sweetener and natural peanut butter without sugar.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.