Green Chile and Cheese Keto Breakfast Casserole
Green Chile and Cheese Keto Breakfast Casserole is a great combination of flavors, and this recipe uses the canned green chiles I always have in the house!
Normally I wouldn’t start off the month of June with a new recipe that cooks in the oven, but these are unusual times, right? For months now I’ve been thinking about low-carb recipes that use ingredients people keep on hand. And at my house diced green chiles are something that’s always in the pantry, which is one reason Green Chile and Cheese Egg Muffins are something I make for breakfast when the vegetable crisper is empty.
So when a new breakfast idea popped into my head recently with that flavor combination of green chiles + cheese in a breakfast casserole with cottage cheese, I had to try it. And it was so tasty I decided that even though we’re almost in that don’t-turn-on-the-oven time of year, people might still make this for a breakfast dish if they usually have these ingredients on hand like I do! And this is ultra-easy, with no ingredients that need to be pre-cooked and only green onions to be chopped.
I used plenty of rinsed cottage cheese combined with a Cheddar-Jack Cheese blend so this breakfast casserole is pretty cheesy. I know people doing Keto always like that, but you can certainly use a bit less cheese if you prefer. I did use a large can of diced green chiles, but you can use a smaller size can if you want less heat. And this makes eight servings, so it’s perfect to make for Weekend Food Prep and eat for a few days, which is exactly what I did!
I loved this with some sour cream and Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link) added at the table, but no matter what you eat it with I think anyone who likes green chiles and cheese is going to like this for breakfast.
How to Make Green Chile and Cheese Keto Breakfast Casserole:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- Preheat oven and spray a large casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Put the cottage cheese into a strainer and rinse, then let it drain. (See notes in the recipe about why rinsing the cottage cheese is important!)
- While cottage cheese drains, beat the eggs well and thinly slice the green onions
- Put drained cottage cheese into the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Then add the diced green chiles (affiliate link), 2 cups of the Cheddar-Jack cheese, sliced green onions, Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) or another all-purpose seasoning blend and a little salt and fresh-ground black pepper.
- Use a fork to gently “stir” so ingredients are well combined. Then add eggs and “stir” again.
- Top the casserole with another 3/4 cup grated Cheddar-Jack cheese.
- Bake 40 minutes, or until the eggs are firm and the top is starting to brown. (If you use a shallower baking dish the cooking time might be a little shorter.
- Serve hot, garnished with sliced green onions if desired.
- This is great with sour cream added at the table, and I like a dash of Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link) on mine.
More Favorite Recipes with Green Chiles and Cheese:
Low-Carb Baked Chicken Stuffed with Green Chiles and Cheese
Low-Carb Twice-Cooked Chicken with Green Chiles and Cheese
Cheesy Low-Carb Sausage and Green Chile Breakfast Bake
Beefy and Cheesy Low-Carb Green Chile Bake
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Diced green chiles (affiliate link) are the slightly-spicy Anaheim chiles, but use a 4 oz. can if you want less heat. Any blend of grated cheese will work for this recipe, and Mexican Blend will be especially good. Recipe created by Kalyn when she was inspired to make a breakfast casserole with the canned green chiles that are always in the pantry. Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 366Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 421mgSodium: 832mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 27g
Diced green chiles (affiliate link) are the slightly-spicy Anaheim chiles, but use a 4 oz. can if you want less heat. Any blend of grated cheese will work for this recipe, and Mexican Blend will be especially good.
Recipe created by Kalyn when she was inspired to make a breakfast casserole with the canned green chiles that are always in the pantry.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This breakfast casserole with green chiles and cheese is a great dish for low-carb diet plans, including Keto. The recipe could be adapted to work for any phase of the original South Beach Diet if you used low-fat cottage cheese, low-fat cheese, and reduce the amount of cheese.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.