From-Scratch Diet-Friendly Ranch Dip with Greek Yogurt and Dill
From-Scratch Diet-Friendly Ranch Dip with Greek Yogurt and Dill is easy-to-make and delicious! And this tasty dip for veggies can be low-carb, Keto, low-glycemic, or South Beach Diet friendly, and it can be red and green if you’re looking for a holiday appetizer.
When I shared My Favorite Low-Carb Red and Green Holiday Recipes, I included Sheila’s Low-Carb Shrimp Dip, but I completely forgot about this favorite From-Scratch Diet-Friendly Ranch Dip that I’ve been making for years. It’s a more diet friendly version of my Grandma’s Denny’s Vegetable Dip that we used to have as an appetizer for every family party when I was a kid, and everyone simply called it “vegetable dip” back in those days. This was long before Hidden Valley Ranch Buttermilk Dressing had burst upon the American culinary scene to become the salad dressing of choice for so many American families, but my grandma’s dip did taste a lot like the ranch dressing or dip you can make with the Hidden Valley Ranch packaged mix.
I don’t mind the flavor of the dressing and dip made with the mix, but sometimes I want a lighter dip, made without mayo and not using a package mix. This From-Scratch Diet-Friendly Ranch Dip with Greek Yogurt and Dill uses cottage cheese for extra protein and my favorite Greek Yogurt to make a dip that’s delightfully creamy but healthy. And when I call this diet “diet-friendly” that means you can use full-fat or reduced-fat cottage cheese and Greek yogurt, depending on which you consider to be diet friendly; either option will be delicious. This recipe has more dill flavor than regular Ranch Dip, so if you’re not crazy about dill, use a smaller amount. I really like the flavor of this diet-friendly dip and if you’re seriously dieting and need something to take to a holiday party, this dip with an assortment of crisp low-carb veggies could help you stay on track.
And there are only six more days before I go to Mexico for the holidays, so I am still frantically trying to get some new recipes ready for January 1, when I know so many people get back on track with their carb-conscious eating plans. So thanks for understanding if there isn’t as much new stuff as usual around here for the rest of the month!
The base of this From-Scratch Diet-Friendly Ranch Dip is Greek yogurt combined with cottage cheese that’s been blended in the food processor. If you’d like a slightly creamier dip, replace a little bit of the yogurt with a couple of tablespoons of mayo and this will still be a very diet-friendly dip. Process the cottage cheese with the steel blade in the food processor until it’s fairly smooth, about 1 minute.
Then add the Greek yogurt and seasonings and process until the dip is blended. That’s it!
More Healthy and Tasty Dips for the Holidays:
World’s Best Tzatziki Sauce ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Buffalo Bacon Blue Cheese Dip ~ Cupcakes and Kale Chips
Greek Yogurt and Tahini Dip for Tomatoes and Cucumbers ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Holiday Cilantro Chive Greek Yogurt Dip ~ Reluctant Entertainer
Ultra Easy Avocado Sauce or Dip ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Yogurt and Feta Dip ~ A Family Feast
From-Scratch Diet-Friendly Ranch-Style Dip with Greek Yogurt and Dill
- 1 cup cottage cheese (use full-fat or reduced-fat cottage cheese; whichever you prefer)
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt (use full-fat or low-fat yogurt, whichever you prefer)
- 1-2 tsp. dried dill weed (depending on how much you like dill)
- 2 tsp. Bon Appetit Replacement or Beau Monde Seasoning (see below for more information on these)
- 1-2 tsp. onion powder (can also use finely grated onion if you don’t have onion powder)
- Put cottage cheese in food processor with steel blade and process about one minute, until cottage cheese is well blended. (It will not be completely smooth.)
- Add yogurt, dill weed, onion powder, and Bon Appetit or Beau Monde seasoning.
- Blend about 30 seconds more, until all ingredients are well combined.
- Chill several hours before using.
- Obviously, you can use the Hidden Valley Ranch packaged mix with my mixture of cottage cheese and yogurt to make a dip that’s more nutritious.
- You can make a variation of this recipe with a little chopped red onion, finely diced cucumber, and finely diced red pepper if you’d like a chunkier dip. I would use about 2 T of each.
About Bon Appetit and Beau Monde Seasoning:
- When my Grandma created her Vegetable Dip and when I first made this recipe, there was a purchased seasoning mix called Bon Appetit. When it was discontinued, the company posted a replacement recipe.
- Beau Monde Seasoning is made by Spice Islands and the flavor is very similar to the original Bon Appetit. Don’t be confused by “recipes” claiming to be Beau Monde Seasoning with a long list of ingredients.)
- For a less sweet version of the McCormick Bon Appetit recipe, I would use 2/3 2/3 celery salt, 1/3 onion powder, and a tiny pinch of sweetener of your choice.
This recipe created by Kalyn as a healthier variation of Grandma’s Vegetable Dip.All images and text ©
Low-Carb Diet Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
With full-fat cottage cheese and Greek yogurt, this diet is perfect for low-carb or Keto diet plans. With low-fat cottage cheese and Greek yogurt, this would be great for any phase of the South Beach Diet. Whichevery kind of dairy product you choose, I would use low-carb and low-glycemic vegetables such as celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, jicama, sugar snap peas, raw mushrooms, and bell pepper strips.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type Index to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.