Baby Kale Caprese Salad
(This is an old recipe that has been archived on the website, but I am leaving the printer-friendly recipe here so people who have enjoyed the salad will still be able to find it.)
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella, cut into cubes about 1/2 inch square (see notes)
- 5 oz. baby kale leaves (I pull off the larger stems)
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 3 T good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. Spike Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. Italian Herb Blend
- Cut the fresh mozzarella into slices and then into cubes about 1/2 inch square.
- Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, Spike Seasoning(affiliate link), and Italian Herb Seasoning (affiliate link); then whisk in the olive oil.
- Put the mozzarella cubes into a plastic bag, add a few tablespoons of dressing, and let the cheese marinate while you prep the other ingredients.
- Pull off the larger kale stems if desired and put kale into salad spinner and cover with cold water (to crisp the kale.) Drain the water and spin the kale dry.
- Wash the basil leaves in salad spinner and spin dry. (You can chop the basil leaves if they’re large, but I left most of them whole.)
- Put the kale and basil leaves in a large plastic bowl and toss with the rest of the dressing.
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half.
- Divide dressed kale/basil into serving bowls. Top each one with some of the marinated cheese and some of the tomato halves.
- Season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper and serve.