Leftover Turkey or Chicken Salad with Indian Spices (Video)
Leftover Turkey or Chicken Salad with Indian Spices, Lemon, and Cilantro is a low-carb salad that’s a delicious and unusual use for leftover chicken or turkey! Chopped cashews are the secret ingredient that adds a little crunch. Use Salad Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make
Leftover Turkey or Chicken Salad with Indian Spices!
You can’t go wrong with any of my leftover turkey ideas, but this delicious Leftover Turkey or Chicken Salad with Indian Spices is an especially good option for anyone who wants to get right back on the healthy eating plan after the big day of indulgence.This salad that’s low-carb, Keto, gluten-free, and South Beach Diet Phase One features leftover chunks of turkey with a dressing that’s partly made with Greek yogurt and seasoned with Indian spices. The finishing touch is chopped cilantro, but if you’re not a cilantro fan I would just use more green onion. And if you don’t have any leftover turkey, please use chicken to make this delicious salad!
In a dry pan, toast the cumin and coriander seeds until they start to get fragrant about 3 minutes. Use a spice grinder or mortar and pestle to grind the spices. Finely minced the ginger root and jalapeno.
Heat the olive oil and saute the minced ginger and jalapeno about 3-4 minutes. Let cool. Chop up the cilantro and slice the green onions. Zest two lemons and squeeze the juice. (I would freeze the extra lemon juice.)
Cut the turkey into chunks about 1 inch square. (I used more than this but forgot to take another photo, sorry.) When the ginger-jalapeno mixture is cool, stir together the mayo, Greek yogurt, lemon zest and juice, spices, and ginger-jalapeno mixture. (You can use all mayo if you prefer.) Stir the dressing into the turkey and toss until all the turkey is coated with dressing. (Use it all, because the dressing gets partly absorbed by the turkey pieces.) Add the sliced green onion and chopped cilantro and stir to combine. Chop cashews and serve Leftover Turkey or Chicken Salad with Indian Spices with a sprinkling of cashews on each serving.
More Salad Ideas with Leftover Turkey or Chicken:
Turkey Salad with Grapes and Walnuts from The Perfect Pantry
Shredded Chicken (or Turkey) Salad with Green Olives, Celery, and Green Onion from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Turkey Salad with Apple and Celery from Sassy Radish
20 Low-Carb Chicken Salads ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Leftover Turkey (or chicken) Salad with Indian Spices
This low-carb salad can get you back on track after Thanksgiving, and it’s delicious!
- 4 cups leftover turkey (or chicken) diced into 1 inch cubes
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro, or less (or use more green onion if you’re not a cilantro fan)
- 1/3 cup chopped cashews
- 1 tsp. whole cumin seed
- 1 tsp. whole coriander seed
- 1 T olive oil
- 3 T finely minced fresh ginger root
- 1-2 T finely minced fresh jalapeno (or more)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- zest of 2 lemons and 3 T fresh-squeezed lemon juice (see notes)
- 1/3 cup mayo or light mayo
- 1/3 cup fat-free Greek Yogurt
- In a dry pan, toast the cumin seed and coriander seed until it becomes fragrant, about 3 minutes. Use a spice grinder or mortar and pestle to grind the spices.
- Finely mince the ginger root and jalapeno. (Use 2 T minced jalapeno or more if you like it spicy.) Heat the olive oil in the same pan you toasted the spices in and saute the minced ginger and jalapeno about 3-4 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- While it cools wash, dry, and chop the cilantro and slice the green onions. Zest lemons and then squeeze the juice. Cut the leftover turkey (or chicken) into cubes about 1 inch square.
- Mix together the cooled ginger-jalapeno mixture, mayo, Greek yogurt, lemon zest and juice, salt, and ground spices to make the dressing.
- Put the chopped turkey into a bowl and mix with the dressing. (Use it all because the turkey will absorb some of the dressing.) Mix the chopped cilantro and sliced green onions into the salad.
- Coarsely chop the cashews and serve the salad with a sprinkling of cashews on each serving.
Zest the lemon first, and then squeeze the juice. You can freeze the extra lemon juice to use at a later time.
Recipe adapted from Lemon Cashew Chicken Salad from Sunset Magazine.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Leftover Turkey or Chicken Salad with Indian Spices, Lemon, and Cilantro is a perfect salad for most types of low-carb or low-glycemic eating plans. If you’re making this for the South Beach Diet, they would prefer non-fat or low-fat greek yogurt, and maybe light mayo as well. Other low-carb plans would probably want full-fat ingredients.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into Calorie Count, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.