Chicken Salad with Indian Spices (Video)
You can use leftover turkey or chicken in this tasty Chicken Salad with Indian Spices and this is a low-carb salad that’s delicious and unusual! Chopped cashews are the secret ingredient that adds a little crunch.
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make
Leftover Turkey or Chicken Salad with Indian Spices!
This delicious Chicken Salad with Indian Spices is a salad I first thought of to use leftover turkey at Thanksgiving, and it’s an especially tasty option for anyone who wants to get right back on the healthy eating plan after the big day of indulgence. Then though the years I started to make the salad more and more with chicken, and I’m guessing that’s what most people would use for this tasty salad.
The low-carb salad features chunks of turkey or chicken with a dressing that’s seasoned with Indian spices, what could be better! The finishing touch is chopped cilantro, but if you’re not a cilantro fan I would just use more green onion. And then the salad is topped with chopped cashews to add some crunch!
How to Make Chicken Salad with Indian Spices:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- In a dry pan, toast the cumin and coriander seeds until they start to get fragrant about 3 minutes.
- Use a spice grinder or mortar and pestle to grind the spices.
- Finely minced the ginger root and jalapeno.
- Heat the olive oil and saute the minced ginger and jalapeno about 3-4 minutes. Let cool.
- Chop up the cilantro and slice the green onions.
- Zest two lemons and squeeze the juice. (I would freeze the extra lemon juice.)
- Cut the chicken or turkey into chunks about 1 inch square.
- When the ginger-jalapeno mixture is cool, stir together the mayo, Greek yogurt (if using), lemon zest and juice, spices, and ginger-jalapeno mixture.
- Stir the dressing into the chicken and toss until it’s coated with dressing. (Use it all, because the dressing gets partly absorbed by the chicken.)
- Add the sliced green onion and chopped cilantro and stir to combine.
- Chop cashews and serve Chicken Salad with Indian Spices with a sprinkling of cashews on each serving.
More Salad Ideas with Leftover Turkey or Chicken:
Turkey Salad with Grapes and Walnuts from The Perfect Pantry
Chicken Salad with Green Olives from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Turkey Salad with Apple and Celery from Sassy Radish
20 Low-Carb Chicken Salads ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
- 4 cups leftover chicken diced into 1 inch cubes
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro, or less (or use more green onion if you’re not a cilantro fan)
- 1/3 cup chopped cashews
- 1 tsp. whole cumin seed
- 1 tsp. whole coriander seed
- 1 T olive oil
- 3 T finely minced fresh ginger root
- 2 T finely minced fresh jalapeno (or more)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- zest of 2 lemons and 3 T fresh-squeezed lemon juice (see notes)
- 2/3 cup mayo (see notes)
- In a dry pan, toast the cumin seed and coriander seed until it becomes fragrant, about 3 minutes. Use a spice grinder or mortar and pestle to grind the spices.
- Finely mince the ginger root and jalapeno. (Use 2 T minced jalapeno or more if you like it spicy.) Heat the olive oil in the same pan you toasted the spices in and saute the minced ginger and jalapeno about 3-4 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- While it cools wash, dry, and chop the cilantro and slice the green onions.
- Zest lemons and then squeeze the juice.
- Cut the leftover chicken into cubes about 1 inch square.
- Mix together the cooled ginger-jalapeno mixture, mayo, lemon zest and juice, salt, and ground spices to make the dressing.
- Put the chopped chicken into a bowl and mix with the dressing. (Use it all because the chicken will absorb some of the dressing.)
- Mix the chopped cilantro and sliced green onions into the salad.
- Coarsely chop the cashews and serve the salad with a sprinkling of cashews on each serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 673Total Fat: 54gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 41gCholesterol: 142mgSodium: 701mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 36g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Chicken Salad with Indian Spices is a perfect salad for most types of low-carb or low-glycemic eating plans. If you’re making this for the original South Beach Diet, they would prefer replacing some of the mayo with non-fat or low-fat greek yogurt, and maybe use light mayo as well. Other low-carb plans would probably want full-fat ingredients.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Salad Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.