Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos
Use your slow cooker to make the filling for these tasty slow cooker vegetarian Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos!
I’m a long-time fan of using the slow cooker even for short cooking times if I had something to do and didn’t want to have to watch the food. The filling for these Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos could have been cooked in a pan on the stove, but they cooked perfectly in the slow cooker while I was out of the house for a few hours, and when I got home dinner was ready.
I used Low-Carb Flour Tortillas (affiliate link) to make burritos, but you could use whole wheat tortillas as well. The spices and lime juice that I added to the sweet potato and black bean mixture were what made these burritos delicious, and I served them with more lime to squeeze on at the table, plus a generous shake of Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link). Of course these burritos are a perfect Meatless meal, and if you leave off the cheese and don’t use the optional sour cream, these burritos could be vegan as well.
What ingredient do you need for this recipe?
- canned black beans (or use cooked black beans)
- orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, often called yams in U.S. stores
- vegetable stock or canned vegetable broth
- fresh squeezed lime juice, I used my fresh-frozen lime juice
- ground cumin (affiliate link)
- ground coriander (affiliate link)
- Minced Garlic (affiliate link)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Mission Carb Balance Low-Carb Tortillas (affiliate link), or other tortilla of your choice
- shredded Mozzarella cheese (optional)
- shredded lettuce (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- lime pieces to squeeze at the table (optional)
- Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link), or other hot sauce of your choice
How to make this recipe:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- Rinse and drain one can of black beans (or use 1 1/2 cups of cooked black beans.)
- Cut up two orange-fleshed sweet potatoes into cubes about 1 inch square.
- Spray a small slow cooker insert with non-stick spray or olive oil and then add the beans, sweet potatoes, vegetable stock, lime juice, ground cumin (affiliate link), ground coriander (affiliate link), Minced Garlic (affiliate link), and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook on high for about 3 hours, or until the sweet potatoes are done to your liking.
- Prepare the toppings just before you’re going to serve the burritos. I used Mozzarella cheese and chopped cilantro, and gave each one a good squeeze of lime juice.
- I served the filling inside these Low-Carb Flour Tortillas (affiliate link), but whole wheat tortillas would also be good.
- Spread a generous amount of filling inside the tortilla, then add the toppings.
- To roll up small burritos, start by folding over one edge, which will be the bottom of the finished burrito.
- Then fold over the other two sides, so you have a burrito that can be eaten with your hands.
- Serve hot and enjoy, and don’t forget the squeeze of the lime to add at the table if you’re a lime-lover like I am!
More Tasty Slow Cooker Vegetarian Dinners:
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Ingredients for Filling:
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans (or use 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans)
- 2 large orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, diced in 1 inch cubes (about 1 1/2 lb. sweet potatoes; sometimes
- called yams in U.S. stores)
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock or canned vegetable broth
- 2 T fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Ingredients for Burritos:
- medium-sized flour tortillas (I used my favorite low-carb tortillas.)
- chopped fresh cilantro for serving (optional)
- shredded mozzarella cheese for serving (optional)
- shredded lettuce for serving (optional)
- sour cream for serving (optional)
- lime pieces to squeeze on filling (optional)
- Green Tabasco Sauce (optional)
- If using canned black beans, drain the beans into a colander placed in the sink, rinse well until no more foam appears, and let beans drain while you prep other ingredients.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Spray the slow cooker crock with olive oil or non-stick spray.
- Put beans, sweet potatoes, vegetable stock, lime juice, ground cumin, ground coriander, and minced garlic in slow cooker and cook on high for about 3 hours, or until sweet potatoes are soft to your liking.
- Season the filling to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- When the filling is nearly through cooking prepare toppings as desired: chopped fresh cilantro, shredded mozzarella, shredded lettuce, sour cream, and lime pieces.
- Heat tortillas using the microwave or by wrapping them in foil and heating in the oven.
- To assemble burritos, put a generous amount of filling inside a Low-Carb Flour Tortillas (affiliate link).
- Top with cilantro, cheese, lettuce, sour cream, and a squeeze of lime juice (whichever topping you are using.)
- Fold one edge up to make the bottom of the finished burrito, then fold two sides in.
- Serve hot, with Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link) and extra lime to squeeze on at the table if desired.
I used my Crock-Pot 2.5 Quart Slow Cooker (affiliate link) for this recipe, which is a great size for cooking small amounts. If you don’t have a small slow cooker, I recommend doubling the recipe and freezing some of the filling for another time.
This recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 433mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 7gSugar: 14gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Sweet potatoes and black beans are both a good low-glycemic food for phase 2 or 3 of the South Beach Diet. I make these Slow Cooker Vegetarian Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos with low-carb tortillas, but sweet potatoes and beans will be too high in carbs for a strictly low-carb eating plan.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Meatless Recipes or Slow Cooker Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was first posted in 2012. It was last updated in 2021.