Slow Cooker Broccoli Casserole with Three Cheeses
Slow Cooker Broccoli Casserole with Three Cheeses is delicious for a meatless low-carb breakfast or meatless dinner that cooks in a few hours. And this recipe has eggs, broccoli, cottage cheese, Swiss Cheese, and Parmesan for a triple dose of cheesy flavor!
This Slow Cooker Broccoli Casserole with Three Cheeses is the third time I’ve experimented with cooking eggs in the slow cooker and it was creamy and delicious. But it did take me three tries to get a combination with broccoli that I thought was enough of a *wow* recipe to share on the blog.
What made this recipe appeal to me was how the strong flavor of the Swiss cheese balanced out the broccoli, and the cottage cheese added a nice creaminess. And of course the flavor of Parmesan cheese is always great with broccoli and eggs.
Have you tried a slow cooker egg dish yet? I recommend it for an easy breakfast option, and there are more ideas below after the main recipe. And this is one of those lovely versatile recipes that can be served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- cottage cheese
- Swiss Cheese
- coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- chopped parsley for serving (optional)
What kind of slow cooker can you use for this recipe?
Casseroles like this Slow Cooker Broccoli Casserole with Three Cheeses are perfect to make in the Crock-Pot Casserole Crock Slow Cooker (affiliate link) if you have one of those, but any large oval slow cooker will work for this recipe.
More Eggs in the Slow Cooker:
- Slow Cooker Sausage and Egg Casserole
- Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole with Kale, Red Pepper, and Feta
- Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole with Broccoli, Ham, and Swiss
- Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole with Artichokes
Want even more slow cooker recipes with eggs?
Check out the collection of Keto Crock Pot Recipes with Egg on my Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker site for even more ideas.
How to make Slow Cooker Broccoli Casserole with Three Cheeses:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Cut up broccoli and blanch about 2 minutes in boiling, salted water.
- Drain broccoli well and when it’s well-dried put it in the slow cooker.
- Put the cottage cheese into a fine strainer and rinse with cold water so only the curds remain.
- Grate about 6 ounces of Swiss cheese.
- Beat 9 eggs until the yolks and whites are well combined.
- Put the drained cottage cheese and grated Swiss cheese over the broccoli in the slow cooker. (I used my Ninja Cooker but use any large oval-shaped slow cooker to make this.)
- Pour the eggs over the broccoli and cheese mixture; then use a fork to slightly “stir” so the ingredients are well combined.
- Season to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper. (I didn’t use much salt.)
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup coarsely grated Parmesan over the top.
- Cook for 2 1/2 – 3 hours on low, or until the casserole is set and starting to pull away from the sides of the slow cooker.
- Serve hot, with chopped parsley sprinkled on top if desired.
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 4 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 cup cottage cheese, rinsed and drained
- 6 oz. Swiss Cheese
- 9 eggs, beaten until whites and yolks are well-combined
- 1/4 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste (I didn’t use much salt)
- chopped parsley for serving (optional)
- Cut the broccoli into small bite-sized florets while you bring a medium-sized pot of water to a boil.
- Add a little salt to the water and cook the broccoli just 2 minutes; then dump into a colander placed in the sink and let it drain well. (You can also cook the broccoli 2-3 minutes in the microwave if you prefer.)
- Put the cottage cheese into a fine-mesh strainer and spray with cold water until all only the curds remain.
- Let the cottage cheese drain well while you grate the Swiss cheese and measure out the Parmesan.
- Beat the eggs until the whites and yolks are well combined.
- Spray the inside of the slow cooker with non-stick spray or mist with olive oil.
- When the broccoli has drained well, spread it across the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Layer the cottage cheese and Swiss cheese over the top of the broccoli.
- Pour eggs over and “stir” gently with a fork so ingredients are well-combined.
- Season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper and sprinkle with coarsely grated Parmesan cheese.
- Cook for 2 1/2 – 3 hours on LOW, or until the casserole is completely set and starting to pull away from the sides.
- Serve hot, with chopped parsley to sprinkle on the top if desired.
I used my beloved Ninja Cooker (affiliate link) to make this back in 2013, but this recipe is perfect for any Crock-Pot Casserole Crock Slow Cooker if you have one. You can use any large oval-shaped slow cooker but the breakfast casserole will be a little thicker.
This will keep at least a week in the fridge and can be easily reheated in a microwave or in a pan on the stove. For best results, be careful not to microwave too long.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 346mgSodium: 508mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 25g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Slow Cooker Broccoli Casserole with Three Cheeses is a great choice for low-carb or Keto eating plans. If you use low-fat cottage cheese and Swiss this will work for the original South Beach Diet, but if you can’t find low-fat Swiss cheese I wouldn’t worry about it too much.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more healthy ideas for breakfast! Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe for Slow Cooker Broccoli Casserole with Three Cheeses was posted in 2013. It was last updated with more information in 2023.