Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Breakfast Casserole
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Breakfast Casserole is delicious for a meatless breakfast that’s low-carb, Keto, and gluten-free. And this has cottage cheese, Swiss, and Parmesan for so much cheesy flavor!
This is the third time I’ve experimented with cooking eggs in the slow cooker and this Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Breakfast Casserole was creamy and delicious, although it did take me three tries to get a combination with broccoli that I thought was enough of a *wow* recipe to share it on the blog. I did like one version with broccoli and mushrooms that tasted quite good, but the mushrooms turned the eggs kind of gray after the long cooking time, and in the end I decided it wasn’t a keeper.
What made this particular recipe appeal to me was how the strong flavor of the Swiss cheese balanced out the broccoli, and the cottage cheese added a nice creaminess. Have you tried a slow cooker egg dish yet? I recommend it for an easy breakfast option, and there are more ideas below after the main recipe. And this is one of those lovely versatile recipes that can be served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
How to Make Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Breakfast Casserole:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- Cut up broccoli into small flowerets and blanch about 2 minutes in boiling, salted water.
- Drain the broccoli well and when it’s well-dried put it in the slow cooker.
- Put the cottage cheese into a fine strainer and rinse with cold water so only the curds remain.
- Grate about 6 ounces of Swiss cheese.
- Beat 9 eggs until the yolks and whites are well combined.
- Put the drained cottage cheese and grated Swiss cheese over the broccoli in the slow cooker. (I used my Ninja Cooker but use any large oval-shaped slow cooker to make this.)
- Pour the eggs over the broccoli and cheese mixture; then use a fork to slightly “stir” so the ingredients are well combined.
- Season to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper. (I didn’t use much salt.)
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup coarsely grated Parmesan over the top.
- Cook for 2 1/2 – 3 hours on low, or until the casserole is set and starting to pull away from the sides of the slow cooker.
- Serve hot, with chopped parsley sprinkled on top if desired.
More Eggs Cooked in the Slow Cooker:
Slow Cooker Breakfast Recipes Index ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Slow Cooker Sausage and Egg Casserole
Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole with Kale, Red Pepper, and Feta
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 4 cups small broccoli flowerets
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese, rinsed and drained
- 6 oz. Swiss Cheese
- 9 eggs, beaten until whites and yolks are well-combined
- 1/4 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste (I didn’t use much salt)
- chopped parsley for serving (optional)
- Cut the broccoli into small bite-sized flowerets while you bring a medium-sized pot of water to a boil.
- Add a little salt to the water and cook the broccoli just 2 minutes; then dump into a colander placed in the sink and let it drain well.
- Put the cottage cheese into a fine-mesh strainer and spray with cold water until all only the curds remain.
- Let the cottage cheese drain well while you grate the Swiss cheese and measure out the Parmesan.
- Beat the eggs until the whites and yolks are well combined.
- Spray the inside of the slow cooker with non-stick spray or mist with olive oil.
- When the broccoli has drained well, spread it across the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Layer the cottage cheese and swiss cheese over the top of the broccoli.
- Pour eggs over and “stir” gently with a fork so ingredients are well-combined.
- Season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper and sprinkle with coarsely grated Parmesan cheese.
- Cook for 2 1/2 – 3 hours on LOW, or until the frittata is completely set and starting to pull apart at the sides.
- Serve hot, with chopped parsley to sprinkle on the top if desired.
I used my beloved Ninja Cooker (affiliate link) to make this back in 2013, but this recipe is perfect for any Crock-Pot Casserole Crock Slow Cooker if you have one. You can use any large oval-shaped slow cooker but the breakfast casserole will be a little thicker.
This will keep at least a week in the fridge and can be easily reheated in a microwave or in a pan on the stove. For best results, be careful not to microwave too long.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 301Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 343mgSodium: 442mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 23g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Breakfast Casserole is a great choices for any phase of the original South Beach Diet or most low-carb eating plans. It’s best to use low-fat cottage cheese and Swiss for the South Beach Diet, but if you can’t find low-fat Swiss cheese I wouldn’t worry about it. Other low-carb plans would prefer full-fat cheese.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more healthy ideas for breakfast! Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click here to see Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!