Sausage and Kale Soup with Tomatoes
This is the printer-friendly page for an old soup recipe that’s no longer on the blog. Check out Instant Pot Sausage and Kale Soup to see a new lower-carb soup with these ingredients.
(Makes about 6 servings, recipe created by Kalyn)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 T olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary (or use 1 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed)
- 1 T finely chopped fresh sage (or use 1 1/2 tsp. dried rubbed sage)
- 1 T finely minced garlic
- one 19.5 oz. package Turkey Italian Sausage
- 10 cups chicken stock
- two 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce (freeze the rest if you’re opening a can)
- 1 tsp. Vegeta seasoning
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large bunch Red Russian Kale or other type kale, washed well and finely chopped
- one 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, rinsed well
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in heavy frying pan over medium heat, then add chopped onion and saute 3-4 minutes, until onion is soft.
- Lower heat a little and add garlic, chopped rosemary, and chopped sage, and saute 2-3 minutes more.
- Put onion-herb mixture into large soup pot with 10 cups chicken stock and start to simmer.
- Add 1 more tsp. olive oil to frying pan and turn heat back to medium.
- Squeeze sausage out of casings and cook, breaking apart with metal turner, until sausage is browned and well broken apart.
- Add sausage to pot with simmering chicken stock.
- Add canned tomatoes and juice, tomato sauce, black pepper, and Vegeta seasoning if using.
- Simmer about 30 minutes over low heat.
- While soup simmers, wash kale, spin or shake dry, and finely chop into ribbons, then turn cutting board and chop again going the opposite way.
- Drain garbanzos into metal colander placed in the sink and rinse with cold water until no more foam appears.
- After about 30 minutes, add kale and garbanzos to simmering soup mixture.
- Simmer about 45 minutes more, until kale is completely softened, and all flavors are well blended.
- Serve hot. This would be great with freshly grated Parmesan added at the table.