Roasted Green Beans and Red Peppers
Roasted Green Beans and Red Peppers are seasoned with garlic and ginger, and these are perfect for a festive low-carb side dish. And personally I think green beans and red peppers are a wonderful combination!
It’s December, and I thought we should start out the holiday season with some new photos for this favorite dish of green beans and red peppers that I’ve been making for a few years now! You want special side dishes for holiday meals and these Roasted Green Beans and Red Peppers are not only beautifully red and green for the holidays, but they’re delicious!
For the updated recipe I added an extra red bell pepper for a bit more color. And this colorful side dish is also easy to make! The beans and peppers roast at high heat for a short time, so they can cook while you’re coming up with the final touches on the meal.
Stay tuned for some more festive food ideas coming up during December. I’m not much of a baker, but I’ve even been working on some cookie recipes, so let the holiday season begin!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Minced Garlic (affiliate link)
- ginger root
- Olive Oil (affiliate link)
- red bell peppers
- French-style green beans
- salt and black pepper
Should you use thick or thin green beans for this recipe?
I used thin, French-style green beans for this recipe. If you only have thicker beans, I’d roast the green beans for 5 extra minutes alone before you add the red peppers.
Can you use minced garlic and ginger from a jar?
More Holiday-Worthy Green Beans:
- Roasted Green Beans with Mushrooms, Balsamic, and Parmesan
- Green Beans with Lemon, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts
- Garlic-Roasted Green Beans with Shallots and Almonds
- Green Beans with Tomatoes
- Air Fryer Asian Green Beans
How to make Roasted Green Beans and Red Peppers:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Preheat oven to 450F/230C.
- Mince garlic and ginger (if needed) and mix with the olive oil.
- Let those ingredients flavor the oil while you cut up red peppers and trim green beans.
- Toss green beans and red peppers with the olive oil mixture.
- Spread the beans and peppers out on a large baking sheet, arranging them in a single layer as much as you can.
- These take about 20 minutes to cook; they’re done when a few beans are starting to look browned and they’re tender-crisp.
- Season the cooked beans with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
More Low-Carb Holiday Food:
If you really want to keep your holiday celebrations low in carbs, there are good ideas in my collection of Low-Carb Red and Green Holiday Recipes and Keto Side Dishes, Appetizers, and Salads for the Holidays.
- 1 heaping tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced ginger root
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1 lb. thin French-style green beans, ends trimmed and cut in half
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450F/230C.
- Mince 4-5 large garlic cloves, enough to make a heaping tablespoon of minced garlic.
- Peel ginger root and finely mince enough ginger to make a heaping tablespoon of minced ginger.
- Put olive oil, minced garlic, and minced ginger in a glass bowl or measuring cup and let it marinate while you prep vegetables. (This will slightly season the oil.)
- Cut red bell peppers into fourths lengthwise, then remove seeds and trim any white pithy parts. Cut off rounded top and bottom parts to make it easier to cut even strips, then cut each piece of pepper into thin crosswise strips. Make the red pepper strips just slightly wider than the beans.
- Trim ends of green beans and cut them in half. (To trim beans easily, loosely grab a handful and stand them up on the cutting board to line up the ends, trim, and then repeat with the other end.)
- Put the green beans and red pepper strips into a medium-sized bowl and then toss with the olive oil, minced garlic, and minced ginger.
- Spread the vegetables out on a large baking sheet, arranging it so vegetables are in a single layer as much as you can.
- Roast 20-22 minutes, or until a few beans are starting to look browned and the veggies are tender-crisp.
- Season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper and serve hot.
This recipe was inspired by a recipe for roasted green beans in Vegetables Every Day, a long time favorite cookbook.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 103Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 99mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Roasted Green Beans and Red Peppers use wonderfully low-carb vegetables that are loaded with nutrients, and this recipe is a great choice for low-carb diet plans, including Keto, and it also works for any phase of the original South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Side Dishes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This favorite holiday recipe was posted in 2011 and I’ve made it many times since then. It was updated with better photos in 2018 and last updated with more information in 2023.