Slow Cooker Low-Carb Mediterranean Beef Stew with Rosemary and Balsamic Vinegar
I love this Slow Cooker Low-Carb Mediterranean Beef Stew with Rosemary and Balsamic Vinegar, and this delicious stew will be a hit with everyone who loves olives and capers! Use Slow Cooker Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
On Halloween night you know the kids aren’t going to want to eat anything but candy, so why not make this slow Slow Cooker Low-Carb Mediterranean Beef Stew with Rosemary and Balsamic Vinegar with lots of adult flavors to keep the grown-ups happy? You can start this mid morning and by dinner time it will be ready to go. If you’ll be gone all day, just do the advance prep the night before, refrigerate the ingredients in a plastic container, and put the cold ingredients in the slow cooker and let it cook all day while you’re out. I’d love this with a dollop of sour cream on top, but no matter how you eat it, this stew is loaded with flavor. (There are also stove-top instructions if you don’t have a slow cooker.)
I realize, (and some people remind me occasionally!) that some of you don’t like having to saute the meat or other ingredients before you put them in the slow cooker. I recommend doing that because I think browning the meat or onions adds flavor to slow cooker dishes, and sauteeing mushrooms removes the extra liquid that doesn’t get cooked off in the slow cooker. But I don’t take it personally if you ignore my instructions, and I think this will still be pretty good even if you just dump the ingredients in the slow cooker and turn it to low.
How to Make Slow Cooker Low-Carb Mediterranean Beef Stew with Rosemary and Balsamic Vinegar:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- Slice 8 oz. mushrooms and chop up one small onion.
- Heat a small amount of olive oil and cook the mushrooms. When they’re brown and the pan is dry, add them to the slow cooker.
- While the mushrooms cook trim the chuck steak into bite-sized pieces. (I trim away the fatty parts, and save all those fatty pieces to make homemade beef stock.)
- After you remove the mushrooms, add a little more oil and lightly brown the chopped onions; then add them to the slow cooker.
- Then add a little more oil, add the pieces of beef and cook until they are well browned on all sides. Add the browned beef to the slow cooker.
- De-glaze pan with one cup of homemade beef stock or beef broth, cook until slightly reduced, then add to the slow cooker.
- While the beef browns slice the garlic pieces and olives, measure the capers, and chop the rosemary and parsley. Add the can of diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, balsamic vinegar, olives, garlic slices, chopped rosemary, chopped parsley, and capers.
- Cook for 6-8 hours on low (or slightly longer if you prep the night before and started with ingredients that were cold.) This can also be cooked on high for 3-4 hours, but I prefer longer cooking on low for beef.
- The last photo shows how the stew looked when it had cooked all day and was ready to eat. Season with fresh ground black pepper (and a little salt if desired), and eat!
More Slow Cooker Recipes with Beef:
Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker Beef Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Green Chile Shredded Beef Cabbage Bowl with Avocado Salsa ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Peperoncini Beef Sandwiches from A Year of Slow Cooking
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos with Spicy Slaw and Avocado from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef from Elly Says Opa!
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 1-2 T olive oil (depends on your pan)
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, diced in 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 lbs. trimmed and diced chuck steak, cut in bite-sized pieces (see notes)
- 1 cup beef stock (see notes)
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce (see notes)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (see notes for lower-carb alternative)
- 1 can black olives, cut in half or fourths
- 20 cloves garlic, cut in thin slices (optional, but good)
- 2 T finely chopped fresh rosemary (see notes)
- 2 T finely chopped fresh parsley (see notes)
- 1 T capers (or more)
- fresh ground black pepper and salt to taste
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Heat small amount of olive oil in heavy frying pan over medium-high heat, add mushrooms and cook several minutes, until starting to brown. Add mushrooms to slow cooker.
- Add a little more oil, then cook diced onions about 5 minutes, or until starting to brown. Add onions to slow cooker.
- Add a little more oil again, then add diced beef and brown well, about 10-15 minutes. Don’t rush the browning step. Add beef to the slow cooker.
- Add 1 cup beef stock to the pan and simmer a few minutes until slightly reduced, scraping off all browned bits, then add that stock to the slow cooker.
- Add diced tomatoes and juice, tomato sauce, balsamic vinegar, olives, garlic, rosemary, parsley, capers, and a little black pepper. Stir gently to combine, then put lid on Crockpot and cook 6-8 hours on low. (You could cook this 3-4 hours on high, but for a recipe with large pieces of garlic like this I prefer the low setting.)
- Season to taste with salt and more fresh ground black pepper and serve hot.
- If you do all the advance preparation the night before and put the combined ingredient in the refrigerator overnight, this could cook as long as 10 hours in the Crockpot while you’re at work. Manufacturers don’t recommend putting crockery liner with prepared ingredients in the refrigerator; store in another container so contents stay cold, then put in Crockpot in the morning.
- Follow all the preparation steps as outlined, putting ingredients in heavy dutch oven type pan. Add one cup additional beef stock. Simmer on very low heat about 2 hours.
I used about 3 cups meat, for stove-top cooking I might use a more tender cut of meat. Use 2 cups beef stock for stovetop cooking. If you don't have fresh rosemary, use 1 T dried cracked rosemary. I would grind the rosemary in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder or pound with a meat mallet. If you don't have fresh parsley, use 1 T dried parsley.
If you want to make a version of this recipe that's even lower in carbs, skip the tomato sauce and use 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar plus a little sweetener to replace the balsamic vinegar.
This recipe was created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 541 Total Fat: 32g Saturated Fat: 12g Unsaturated Fat: 19g Cholesterol: 145mg Sodium: 524mg Carbohydrates: 10.5g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 11g Protein: 46g
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Slow Cooker Low-Carb Mediterranean Beef Stew with low-carb ingredients would be suitable for most low-carb and low-glycemic diets, including any phase of the South Beach Diet. If you choose approved ingredients it can also be Paleo or Whole 30. This is too high in carbs for Keto, but if you want to make a version of this recipe that’s even lower in carbs, skip the tomato sauce and use 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar plus a little sweetener to replace the balsamic vinegar.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click here for Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!.