Grilled Tri-Tip Recipe with Chimol Salsa
(This is an old recipe that has been removed from my site. I am leaving the printer-friendly recipe here in case anyone was a fan of the recipe.)
This recipe makes a generous amount of salsa for 2-3 steaks, recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. Recipe adapted from Chimol by Tea and Cookies, who adapted it from Marquita Farms.
tri-tip or other steak of your choice, most visible fat trimmed
Steak rub of your choice; I used Szeged Steak Rub (affiliate link).
Chimol Salsa Ingredients:
5 medium radishes
2 medium tomatoes
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
2 T fresh lemon juice
pinch sea salt, to taste
- Preheat gas or charcoal barbecue grill to high. (You can only hold your hand there for 2-3 seconds at that heat.) Trim most visible fat from steak, then rub with steak rub and let cook to room temperature while you chop ingredients for the salsa.
- Chop radishes and tomatoes into pieces from 1/4 – 1/2 inch square. Combine with finely chopped cilantro, red onion, lemon juice, and salt. Let salsa sit at room temperature while steak is cooking.
- When steak is room temperature and grill is hot, put steak on grill. For nice grill marks, place steak at a diagonal to grill slats, after about 3 minutes, rotate 45 degrees on same side and cook a few more minutes. Turn steak over and cook until desired doneness.
- I cooked my steak about 8 minutes for medium rare, but actual cooking time will depend on grill temperature, thickness of the meat, meat temperature, and even the temperature of the air if cooking outside, so I recommend using an Instant Read Meat Thermometer (affiliate link) to tell when meat is done. (Temperature should be about 145 F for medium rare, 160 F for medium, or 175 F for well done.)
- Let steak rest a few minutes after cooking, then serve hot with Chimol Salsa spooned over.
Szeged Steak Rub contains “salt, onion, celery seed and spices” according to the label. One of the spices is definitely Hungarian paprika, which is one of the main products made by Pride of Szeged.