CrockPot Greek Chicken Soup
This interesting CrockPot Greek Chicken Soup has garbanzos and oregano and this soup is delicious with a little Feta sprinkled on top.
This CrockPot Greek Chicken Soup is a soup I came up with when I wanted something comforting and didn’t want to go to the store! This slow cooker soup starts with leftover cooked chicken, canned garbanzos, and canned tomatoes which simmer all day in the slow cooker with onions and Greek seasonings. The soup is delicious just like you see it in the photo above, but if you’re a Feta-lover like I am, try it with some crumbled Feta sprinkled on at the table.
I have Greek Oregano growing in my windowsill, and I used the fresh leaves in this soup, but if you don’t have access to fresh oregano, you could most definitely make this with dried oregano. Do splurge on a bit of fresh parsley to add at the end. If you don’t have a crockpot, you can easily simmer this slowly on the stove for a few hours. Enjoy!
More About Using Oregano in Greek Cuisine:
Oregano is an important component of this soup, and it’s used frequently in Greek cuisine, often combined with garlic and lemon. (There are two distinct types of oregano, Greek Oregano and Mexican Oregano. If you want to think of the flavor difference between the two types, think of Greek oregano as the predominant flavor in pizza sauce, while Mexican oregano is commonly used in chile powder.)
How to MakeCrockPot Greek Chicken Soup:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- You’ll need 4 cups of diced, cooked chicken.
- Drain the can of garbanzo beans into a colander and rinse well (until no more foam appears.)
- Dice up a small onion. I prefer small pieces in soup, but it’s a personal preference.
- Add the chicken, rinsed garbanzos, chopped onion, and can of tomatoes to the slow cooker.
- I used my favorite Crock Pot 3.5 Quart Slow Cooker (affiliate link) for this recipe, but any size that’s close will work.
- If you have fresh oregano, finely chop enough to make about 2 tablespoons chopped oregano. If you’re substituting dried oregano, I’d only use about 2-3 teaspoons. (Oregano is a strong flavor, so use less if you’re not sure how much you like it.)
- Add the oregano to the slow cooker, along with the chicken stock, vegetable soup base, minced garlic, and Greek seasoning.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours. (Food blogger boo-boo; I forgot to take a photo of the finished soup in the slow cooker.)
- Just before you’re ready to eat the soup, chop up some fresh parsley and crumble the Feta to be added at the table.
More Soup Recipes with Garbanzo Beans:
Chickpea Soup with Spinach, Tomatoes, and Basil ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Smoked Paprika and Chickpea Soup ~ Leite’s Culinaria
Tunisian Chickpea Soup ~ The Well Seasoned Cook
Greek RevithiaSoup with Lemon and Olive Oil ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
- 4 cups diced, cooked chicken
- one 15 oz. can garbanzo beans
- 1 onion, diced small
- one 14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 T finely chopped fresh oregano (see notes)
- 1 tsp. minced garlic (or use garlic puree from a jar)
- 1 tsp. Greek Seasoning (If you don’t have Greek Seasoning, see note below.)
- 1 tsp. vegetable soup base (see notes)
- 8 cups chicken broth, homemade or canned
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Cut up enough chicken to make 3-4 cups of diced cooked chicken.
- Rinse garbanzo beans very well in colander, until no more foam appears.
- Chop the onion, and finely chop the oregano.
- Put all ingredients except parsley into crockpot, cover, and cook on low 8-10 hours.
- Just before you’re ready to serve the soup, finely chop the fresh parsley and crumble the Feta.
- Add half the parsley to the soup and cook a few more minutes.
- Serve hot, with additional chopped parsley and crumbled Feta to add at the table if desired.
I used my favorite Crock Pot 3.5 Quart Slow Cooker (affiliate link), but any size that's close will work.
I like Better than Bouillon Organic Vegetable Base (affiliate link)). I use homemade chicken stock, but chicken broth in a can is fine. If you don't have fresh oregano, use 2-3 tsp. dried oregano.
Greek Seasoning (affiliate link) contains salt, oregano, garlic, lemon peel, black pepper, and marjoram. If you don’t have Greek Seasoning, use a combination of whichever of those you have.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 321Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 1738mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 11gSugar: 17gProtein: 25g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
CrockPot Greek Chicken Soup is too high in carbs for low-carb eating plans, but you could make a tasty lower-carb variation of this soup with much less beans and more chicken. Everything about this soup is great for all phases of the original South Beach Diet and other low-glycemic eating plans.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Slow Cooker Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click here for more Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!