Chicken Chickpea Soup
This interesting Chicken Chickpea Soup has oregano, Greek Seasoning, and Feta for a delicious slow cooker soup with Greek flavors. This recipe has a lot of chicken and not many chickpeas so it’s quite low in net carbs, but see tips in the recipe for making a version that’s even lower in carbs.
This Chicken Chickpea Soup is a recipe I came up with years ago when I wanted something comforting and didn’t want to go to the store! The slow cooker soup starts with leftover cooked chicken, canned chickpeas, and canned tomatoes which simmer all day in the slow cooker with onions and Greek seasonings. And then you add another layer of Greek flavor to this tasty soup by sprinkling on some crumbled Feta at the table.
I have Greek Oregano growing in my windowsill, and I used the fresh leaves in this soup, but if you don’t have access to fresh oregano, you could most definitely make this with dried oregano. Do splurge on a bit of fresh parsley to add at the end though. If you don’t have a crockpot, you can easily simmer this slowly on the stove for a few hours. Enjoy!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- diced, cooked chicken
- can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- can of petite diced tomatoes with juice
- chopped fresh oregano, or use a smaller amount of Dried Oregano (affiliate link)
- Minced Garlic (affiliate link)
- Greek Seasoning (affiliate link)
- vegetable soup base (see notes)
- canned chicken broth (affiliate link) or stock
- chopped fresh parsley
What ingredients give the Chicken Chickpea Soup Greek flavors?
Chickpeas, tomatoes, garlic, oregano, and Greek Seasoning all add Greek flavors to this Chicken Chickpea Soup, and the sprinkle of Feta cheese added at the table finishes it off perfectly!
More About Using Oregano in Greek Cuisine:
Oregano is an important component of this soup, and it’s used frequently in Greek cuisine, often combined with garlic and lemon. (There are two distinct types of oregano, Greek Oregano and Mexican Oregano. If you want to think of the flavor difference between the two types, think of Greek oregano as the predominant flavor in pizza sauce, while Mexican oregano is commonly used in chile powder.)
Can you make Chicken Chickpea Soup without Greek Seasoning?
Greek Seasoning (affiliate link) contains salt, oregano, garlic, lemon peel, black pepper, and marjoram. I love this blend of spices and use it often, but if you don’t have Greek Seasoning, use a combination of whichever of those you have.
How can you make this recipe even lower in carbs?
If you check the nutritional information this recipe is probably a lot lower in net carbs than you think because there’s a lot of chicken in proportion to the amount of Chickpeas. Just use even more chicken to make the recipe even lower in carbs.
How to make Chicken Chickpea Soup in the slow cooker:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- You’ll need 4 cups of diced, cooked chicken.
- Drain the can of chickpeas into a colander and rinse well (until no more foam appears.)
- Dice up a small onion. I prefer small pieces in soup, but it’s a personal preference.
- Add the chicken, rinsed chickpeas, chopped onion, and can of tomatoes to the slow cooker.
- I used my favorite Crock Pot 3.5 Quart Slow Cooker (affiliate link) for this recipe, but any size that’s close will work.
- If you have fresh oregano, finely chop enough to make about 2 tablespoons chopped oregano.
- If you’re substituting dried oregano, I’d only use about 2-3 teaspoons. (Oregano is a strong flavor, so use less if you’re not sure how much you like it.)
- Add the oregano to the slow cooker, along with the chicken stock, vegetable soup base, minced garlic, and Greek seasoning.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours. (Food blogger boo-boo; I forgot to take a photo of the finished soup in the slow cooker.)
- Just before you’re ready to eat the soup, chop up some fresh parsley and crumble the Feta to be added at the table.
More Soup Recipes with Chickpeas:
- Tomato Chickpea Soup
- Garbanzo Bean Soup (with Garlic, Sumac, Olive Oil, and Lemon)
- Instant Pot Sausage Soup with Pesto
Want more Slow Cooker Soups?
You can find more Slow Cooker / Instant Pot Recipes on my other site, Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker.
- 4 cups diced, cooked chicken
- one 15 oz. can garbanzo beans
- 1 onion, diced small
- one 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 T finely chopped fresh oregano (see notes)
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. Greek Seasoning
- 1 tsp. vegetable soup base (see notes)
- 8 cups chicken broth, homemade or canned
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Cut up enough chicken to make 4 cups of diced cooked chicken.
- Rinse chickpeas very well in colander, until no more foam appears.
- Chop the onion, and finely chop the oregano.
- Put all ingredients except parsley into crockpot, cover, and cook on low 8-10 hours.
- Just before you’re ready to serve the soup, finely chop the fresh parsley and crumble the Feta.
- Add half the parsley to the soup and cook a few more minutes.
- Serve hot, with additional chopped parsley and crumbled Feta to add at the table if desired.
I used my favorite Crock Pot 3.5 Quart Slow Cooker (affiliate link), but any size that's close will work.
I like Better than Bouillon Organic Vegetable Base (affiliate link)). I use homemade chicken stock, but chicken broth in a can is fine. If you don't have fresh oregano, use 2-3 tsp. dried oregano.
Greek Seasoning (affiliate link) contains salt, oregano, garlic, lemon peel, black pepper, and marjoram. If you don’t have Greek Seasoning, use a combination of whichever of those you have.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 1360mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 22g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Chicken Chickpea Soup is probably lower in carbs than you think, but you could make an even lower-carb variation of this soup by using even fewer beans and more chicken. Everything about this soup is great for all phases of the original South Beach Diet and other low-glycemic eating plans.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Slow Cooker Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was first posted in 2006! It was updated with better photos in 2013, and was last updated with more information in 2023.