Bread Machine Whole Wheat Bread with Bulgur Wheat, Oats, Bran, and Flax Seed Meal
(This Bread Machine Whole Wheat Bread with Bulgur Wheat, Oats, Bran, and Flax Seed Meal has been removed from my site and replaced with Bread Machine 100% Whole Wheat Bread with Oats, Bran, and Flax which I think is a better bread machine recipe. However, I am keeping the printer-friendly recipe here for this version in case anyone was a fan.)
Makes one half-pound loaf of bread.
Ingredients for Bulgur: Combine and soak 1 hour:
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
Mix dry ingredients:
- 2 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup ground oatmeal (grind oatmeal in food processor, then measure)
- 2 T wheat bran
- 2 T flaxseed meal
- 2 T vital wheat gluten
- 1 T dough enhancer
- 1 tsp. salt
Combine wet ingredients and sweeteners:
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T agave nectar
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1 cup warm water (slightly warmer than room temperature)
- 2 2/3 tsp. yeast
- Follow directions for your bread machine for the order to add ingredients.
- In my Oster Bread Machine I put the liquid in first, followed by the dry ingredients I mixed in the bowl.
- Then I make a small well in the flour and put the yeast in that.
- I used the whole wheat setting on the machine.
- Watch bread while it goes through the first mixing cycle, and if it doesn’t form a ball you may need to add more flour or water, a little bit at a time.
- The dough should make a firm ball and be only slightly sticky. (I made this bread several times and usually added a few teaspoons of extra water, but it depends on the humidity where you live and how carefully you measure ingredients.)
- My bread machine takes 3 hours 40 minutes for the whole wheat cycle.
- Bread is delicious hot or cold, and also makes great toast.