Bread Machine Whole Wheat Bread with Bulgur Wheat, Oats, Bran, and Flax Seed Meal
(This Bread Machine Whole Wheat Bread with Bulgur Wheat, Oats, Bran, and Flax Seed Meal has been removed from my site and replaced with Bread Machine 100% Whole Wheat Bread with Oats, Bran, and Flax which I think is a better bread machine recipe. However, I am keeping the printer-friendly recipe here for this version in case anyone was a fan.)
Makes one half-pound loaf of bread.
Ingredients for Bulgur: Combine and soak 1 hour:
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
Mix dry ingredients:
- 2 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup ground oatmeal (grind oatmeal in food processor, then measure)
- 2 T wheat bran
- 2 T flaxseed meal
- 2 T vital wheat gluten
- 1 T dough enhancer
- 1 tsp. salt
Combine wet ingredients and sweeteners:
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T agave nectar
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1 cup warm water (slightly warmer than room temperature)
- 2 2/3 tsp. yeast
- Follow directions for your bread machine for the order to add ingredients.
- In my Oster Bread Machine I put the liquid in first, followed by the dry ingredients I mixed in the bowl.
- Then I make a small well in the flour and put the yeast in that.
- I used the whole wheat setting on the machine.
- Watch bread while it goes through the first mixing cycle, and if it doesn’t form a ball you may need to add more flour or water, a little bit at a time.
- The dough should make a firm ball and be only slightly sticky. (I made this bread several times and usually added a few teaspoons of extra water, but it depends on the humidity where you live and how carefully you measure ingredients.)
- My bread machine takes 3 hours 40 minutes for the whole wheat cycle.
- Bread is delicious hot or cold, and also makes great toast.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
28 Comments on “Bread Machine Whole Wheat Bread with Bulgur Wheat, Oats, Bran, and Flax Seed Meal”
What is “dough” that you add to the ingredients?
Dough Enhancer is a product that helps the dough to rise. Many stores sell it, especially stores that sell other products used to make bread. Or if you check Google there are recipes for it online, although I haven’t ever made it myself. I haven’t tried the recipe without it so I can’t say whether or not it’s essential.
So glad you liked the bread and good to know that it worked without the dough enhancer too. And that casserole is one of my faves!
On south beach I missed bread so I purchased a machine at Goodwill and purchased the ingredients and made a loaf. I did not find dough enhancer so left it out. The bread is marvelous. Light, stays together when sliced, and good flavor. Thank you for your recipes. I also made the mock chicken enchiladas. My husband declared he was taking leftovers for lunch tomorrow. I bought the Verde sauce (2 10oz cans)and whole chilies in super Walmart.
I've never used spelt flour, so I have no idea how it would work.
These look GREAT!
I just bought hamilton beach breadmaker and haven't made any bread yet. Can spelt flour be substituted for whole wheat flour? I want to make this tomorrow.
Julie, hope you enjoy!
Thanks for experimenting with the bulgar for me. I've been making tabbuouli several times this week, but was looking for another way to use up the rest of the bag. I look forward to trying it out.