Baby Kale Taco Salad
(This old recipe has been archived on the site, but I am leaving it here so anyone who was a fan can still find the recipe. Check out Ground Beef Taco Salad with Kale, Tomato, and Avocado to see a newer version of this recipe.)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 T Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning (see notes)
- 1 cup water
- 5 oz. baby kale leaves (or use thinly sliced kale)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- one 6.5 oz. can sliced olives (see notes)
- 1 avocados, diced (see notes)
- 1 T fresh squeezed lime juice (see notes)
- 2 T fresh squeezed lime juice (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp. ground chile powder (see notes)
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (see notes)
- 3 T olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy frying pan, crumble the ground beef into the pan and cook over medium-high heat until the beef is browned, breaking apart with a turner as it cooks. (I use an old-fashioned potato masher to break the meat apart!)
- When the beef is well browned, sprinkle in the Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning (or your own taco seasoning) and add the water, stir to combine, and simmer on low heat until all the liquid is evaporated, about 8-10 minutes.
- When the bottom of the pan is completely dry, remove the taco meat and let it cool in a bowl until it’s just slightly warm.
- While the beef cooks, whisk together the 2 T lime juice, ground chile powder, ground cumin (affiliate link), Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) (if using, or other all-purpose seasoning), and olive oil to make the dressing.
- Wash the baby kale and spin dry if needed. (I like to snip off the larger stems, but it’s completely optional.) Cut the red pepper into strips and cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Cut the avocado(s) into cubes and toss with the 1 T of lime juice.
- Put the kale leaves into a bowl that’s big enough to hold all the salad ingredients and toss with the dressing. Add the slightly cooled taco meat, red pepper strips, and tomato halves and toss again.
- Then add the avocado pieces and gently toss again. (I save a few avocado pieces to garnish each salad.) Serve right away.