Fried Cauliflower with Bacon and Mushrooms (Video)
Low-Carb Fried Cauliflower with Bacon and Mushrooms cooks in minutes, and this is a seriously delicious way to cook cauliflower!
Some people think of cauliflower as strictly a winter food, but cauliflower is such a great low-carb ingredient and I love to use it any time of year. Of course when it’s hot outside you aren’t going to want dishes like Roasted Spicy Cauliflower or Cauliflower Gratin that need the oven. But this Fried Cauliflower with Bacon and Mushrooms cooks quickly on top of the stove, and this cauliflower side dish is loaded with amazing flavor. I think this fried cauliflower is perfect as a season-spanning side dish.
I was making this recipe to shoot new photos on a day when the weather got really dark and gloomy outside, but trust me when I say that these new photos are still a huge improvement, and hopefully they will entice you to try this tasty combination with cauliflower, bacon, and mushrooms. You can use Cauliflower Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- butter (or oil of your choice)
- fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
What kind of bacon did I use?
When I first made this recipe I was following the lower-fat aspect of the South Beach Diet and I used pre-cooked bacon. This time I started with raw bacon that I cut in strips to fry, and I used a little bit of the bacon fat with butter when I cooked the cauliflower and mushrooms. That touch of bacon fat added flavor to the cauliflower, but you can definitely cook the veggies in olive oil or coconut oil and skip the bacon fat and butter if you prefer.
What kind of mushrooms did I use?
I’m a huge fan of brown Cremini mushrooms (also spelled Crimini), so that’s what I used for this recipe. But if you have regular white mushrooms, they will also be delicious!
Are you also a big cauliflower fan?
I’m such a huge cauliflower fan that I’m always making new recipes with this healthy low-carb vegetable. You can use Cauliflower Recipes to see all the tasty things I’ve made with cauliflower!
How to Make Fried Cauliflower with Bacon and Mushrooms:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- Prep every thing before you start cooking: Slice bacon into thin strips, cut cauliflower into same-size florets, wash and dry mushrooms and cut in half and then into thick slices, and chop some parsley.
- Cook the bacon in the largest frying pan you have until it’s very crisp.
- Then remove bacon and drain it on a paper towel, keeping about 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat in the pan.
- Heat the frying pan again over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon butter to the bacon fat, and let the butter melt.
- When it’s melted turn the heat to high, add the cauliflower and the mushrooms, and cook about 5-7 minutes, stirring often, or until the vegetables are starting to brown and the cauliflower is cooked through.
- Add the chopped parsley and the crisp pieces of bacon and cook 2-3 minutes more.
- Season to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper and serve hot.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated and reheated, but this is definitely best when it’s freshly made. And you probably won’t have any left over anyway!
More Tasty Recipes with Cauliflower:
- 6 slices bacon (see notes)
- 1 T butter
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into small bite-size pieces
- 8 oz. mushrooms, cut in half, then into thick slices
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare all the ingredients before you start to cook, because this cooks pretty quickly.
- Cut the bacon slices into crosswise strips.
- Cut cauliflower apart into smallish same-size florets.
- Wash mushrooms if needed and spin dry or dry with paper towels, then cut mushrooms into half and slice each half into thick slices. (You want mushroom slices that are all relatively the same size.)
- Chop the parsley.
- Cook the bacon over medium-high heat in a very large frying pan until it’s very crisp. Use the biggest frying pan you have; I used my 12 inch Green Pan (affiliate link).
- Then remove bacon to drain on a paper towels and remove all but about 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease. (Or if you prefer to use olive oil or coconut oil, remove all the bacon grease.)
- Add the butter (or oil of your choice) to the pan and heat for 1 minute.
- Then add the chopped cauliflower and sliced mushrooms and cook over very high heat, stirring constantly, for about 5-7 minutes or until all mushroom liquid has evaporated, cauliflower is starting to brown a bit and the cauliflower is getting tender.
- Add crisp pieces of bacon and parsley and cook 2-3 minutes more.
- Season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper and serve hot.
You can definitely use less bacon if you prefer. If you prefer not to use bacon fat and/or butter, you can replace either with an equal amount of olive oil or coconut oil. This recipe adapted from Vegetable Love.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 402mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 9g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Fried Cauliflower with Bacon and Mushrooms is a good side dish for any low-carb diet. Bacon and butter both are not recommended for the original South Beach Diet but personally I’d eat this as a personal choice for South Beach, or make it with turkey bacon and olive oil if you prefer and it will still be delicious.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Stir-Fry Recipes to see more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.