Brown Rice and Broccoli Casserole with Creamy Curry Sauce
Brown Rice and Broccoli Casserole with Creamy Curry Sauce has layers of brown rice, broccoli, curry sauce, and just enough cheese! And this is delicious if you’re looking for a plant-based comfort-food meal!
My fondness for casseroles is well documented on the blog, and Brown Rice and Broccoli Casserole with Creamy Curry Sauce is an idea I came up with I decided to challenge myself with creating more meatless casseroles. I wanted a casserole that was meatless but still had that comfort-food appeal that makes casseroles so popular. And once I had the idea in mind, it actually took Jake and I three tries to get this one just right (although we happily gobbled up the first two tries as well.)
If you’re looking for a new dinner idea for Meatless Monday, I think most family members will like this one, as long as they like broccoli. I kept the curry flavor mild with the idea that kids could enjoy this, but if you like spicy curries you can increase the heat, or even use all hot curry powder.
How to Make Brown Rice and Broccoli Casserole with Creamy Curry Sauce:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe)
- We increased the amount of broccoli each time we tested the recipe, and the final version calls for 8 cups of small broccoli flowerets.
- Cook the broccoli in boiling salted water for exactly two minutes, and then drain it into a colander placed in the sink.
- While the broccoli cooks, saute the onion in a little olive oil until it starts to brown; then add the sweet and hot curry powder and cook 2-3 minutes more.
- Mix in the cooked brown rice and stir to get the curry flavor distributed and cook long enough to heat the rice.
- Whisk together the sour cream, mayo, mayo, lemon juice, and sweet curry powder.
- In an 8″ x 8″ casserole dish with high sides, start with a layer of half the rice.
- Then put half the blanched broccoli.
- Spread over half the curry sauce.
- Top with half the cheese.
- Then make another layer of each of rice, broccoli, sauce, and cheese.
- Bake at 375F/190C for about 30 minutes, or until casserole is slightly bubbling and lightly browned on top.
More Meatless Recipes with Brown Rice:
Spinach and Feta Casserole with Brown Rice and Parmesan from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Vegan Red Curry Tofu and Kale with Brown Rice from The Perfect Pantry
Greek Cauliflower Rice Bake from Kalyn’s Kitchen
- 4 cups cooked brown rice (see notes)
- 8 cups fresh broccoli, cut into small flowerets (see notes)
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 2 tsp. olive
- 1 tsp. sweet curry powder (any curry powder that’s not labeled hot will probably work for this)
- 1/2 tsp hot curry powder (sometimes called Madras curry powder; you can skip this if cooking for kids or increase for a spicier dish)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt salt
- 1/2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (optional, but good)
- 1 1/2 cups grated Mozzarella
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 3 T fresh squeezed lemon juice (I used my frozen lemon juice)
- 1 1/2 tsp. sweet curry powder
- Cook brown rice according to package directions or using a rice cooker to get 4 cups cooked brown rice.
- When rice is nearly done, cut broccoli into small flowerets to get 8 cups broccoli.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add about 1 tsp. salt, and cook the broccoli exactly 2 minutes.
- Drain broccoli into a colander placed in the sink.
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan, add the onion, and saute over medium-high heat until onion is starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sweet and hot curry powder and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the cooked rice and stir to coat with the oil and curry powder, then cook a couple of minutes to to heat the rice (if needed.)
- Whisk together sour cream, mayo, lemon juice, and sweet curry powder to make the sauce.
- Spray an 8″ x 8″ glass casserole dish with non-stick spray. I used my new favorite casserole dish (affiliate link); if you don’t have a dish that’s this deep, use a slightly larger one.
- Make layers with half the rice mixture, half the broccoli, half the curry sauce, and half the cheese, spreading out to make an even layer with each ingredient.
- Make a second layer each of rice mixture, broccoli, curry sauce, and cheese.
- Bake the casserole about 30 minutes, or until casserole is starting to bubble and the cheese is lightly browned on top. Serve hot.
- I am guessing this freezes well, although I managed to have leftovers to try freezing it.
I'm a fan of Uncle Ben's Brown Rice (affiliate link). We used about 20 oz. broccoli.
This recipe was created by Kalyn with inspiration from Better-than-Mom’s Chicken, Broccoli, and Quinoa Casserole with Creamy Curry Sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 416Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 616mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 8gSugar: 5gProtein: 12g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
If you make this recipe with brown rice, a generous amount of broccoli, and reduced fat sour cream, mayo, and cheese that will make the casserole suitable for Phase 2 or 3 of the original South Beach Diet. You might consider this to be a “once in a while-treat” due to the amount of fat. You could make a lower-carb version of this using less rice and more broccoli and cheese, and you may wish to use full-fat cheese and sour cream for low-carb. I’m guessing you could switch the rice for cauliflower rice to make this a low-carb dish, but I haven’t tried that.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Casserole Recipes to find more tasty casseroles! Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.