Thai-Inspired Ground Turkey Larb Salad with Sriracha, Mint, Cilantro, and Peanuts (Video)
This Thai-Inspired Ground Turkey Larb Salad also has Sriracha, Mint, Cilantro, and Peanuts, and this delicious salad with Thai flavors is low-carb, low-glycemic, gluten-free, and can be Keto and South Beach Diet friendly with approved sweetener. Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make Thai-Inspired Ground Turkey Larb Salad
with Sriracha, Mint, Cilantro, and Peanuts!
Last Saturday about 20 Denny family relatives gathered at my house in Salt Lake and moved all my belongings to my new house in Bountiful, which is the suburb of Salt Lake where I grew up. I’ve done plenty of complaining about how hard it was to move 25 years of accumulated stuff, and I’m grateful beyond words for all the family members and friends who helped with the move, either on that day or in the weeks of packing that came before.
Now all my belongings are in the new house, including 23 boxes of cookbooks! Most of my stuff is not that organized yet so there’s not much cooking going on, but luckily I made this delicious Thai-Inspired Ground Turkey Larb Salad a few weeks ago so I’d have something to share with you today. The dressing for the salad has the sweet-sour-savory-spicy flavor combination that makes Thai food so appealing and Jake and I loved this salad when we tried it.
Quite a few people on Twitter and Facebook have asked for pictures of the new house, and I promise to post some kitchen photos as soon as the kitchen is presentable! However, as unusual as it is in this age of sharing every aspect of your life online, I don’t really want to post photos of every part of my new house. I hope people will understand if I choose to keep some things private and just join me in celebrating the fact that I finally have a house that’s big enough that my whole family can come for a party!
This salad is loaded with flavor from minced garlic, minced shallots (or red onion), minced jalapeno, chopped cilantro, chopped mint, and a spicy dressing made from lime juice, fish sauce, sweetener of your choice, and Sriracha Sauce. The inspiring recipe for Thai Ground Pork Salad used pork, but I switched it for lean ground turkey with great results. Mix the garlic, shallot, and jalapeno into the raw turkey. Heat the peanut oil in a large frying pan, then cook the turkey over medium-high heat until it’s nicely browned, about 7-8 minutes. After the meat has cooled about 4-5 minutes, stir in the chopped mint and cilantro. (If you’re not a cilantro fan, I’d use thinly sliced green onion instead.) Turn off the heat and mix in about half the dressing mixture, stirring so it seasons all the meat.
Chop romaine, wash in a salad spinner or in the sink, and spin dry or dry with paper towels. Cut up some fresh limes to squeeze on at the table, and chop some peanuts to garnish the salad. Fill a salad bowl with lettuce and top with the turkey mixture, then drizzle over a little more dressing if desired.
Serve salad garnished with chopped peanuts, and with fresh limes to squeeze on at the table.
More Delicious Recipes with Turkey:
Turkey Recipes Index ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Greek Turkey Burgers with Yogurt and Feta ~ The Perfect Pantry
Ground Turkey Green Chile Soft Tacos with Black Bean Cilantro Salsa ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Thai-Inspired Ground Turkey Larb Salad with Sriracha, Mint, Cilantro, and Peanuts
This delicious salad is loaded with Thai flavors.
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey (less than 10% fat)
- 2 tsp. peanut oil (or slightly more if you’re not using a non-stick pan)
- 1-2 tsp. finely minced garlic
- 2 large shallots, minced (or use red onion)
- 1/2 large fresh jalapeno pepper, minced
- 6 cups coarsely chopped and washed romaine lettuce (about 3 heads of romaine hearts, with outer leaves removed)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (or more)
- 1/4 cup chopped mint (or more)
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts (for garnishing salad)
- fresh cut limes to squeeze on at the table (optional)
- Mince the shallot, garlic, and jalapeno pepper, and chop the mint and cilantro (or green onion.)
- Mix together the lime juice, fish sauce, sweetener, and Sriracha sauce to make the dressing.
- Use a large spoon to mix the garlic, shallots, and jalapeno into the ground turkey.
- Heat the peanut oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook turkey mixture over medium-high heat until it’s well cooked and nicely browned, about 7 minutes.
- Turn off heat and mix in about half the dressing mixture, tossing it with the meat so all the meat is seasoned with dressing.
- Chop the romaine and wash and spin dry with a salad spinner (or wash in a colander and dry with paper towels.)
- Chop the peanuts and slice a few lime slices (if using.)
- When the meat mixture has cooled 4-5 minutes, mix in the chopped mint and cilantro.
- To serve the salad, fill the bowl with lettuce and top with a generous scoop of the seasoned turkey mixture.
- Drizzle over a little extra dressing as desired, and top with a few tablespoons of chopped peanuts.
- Serve with fresh lime slices to squeeze over at the table if desired.
This recipe adapted from Thai Ground Pork Salad from Food and Wine.All images and text ©
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Switching the traditional brown sugar for an approved sweetener makes this low-carb Thai-Inspired Ground Turkey Larb Salad salad a great choice for any phase of the South Beach Diet, and most other types of low-carb diet plans.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type Index to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.