Spicy Crockpot Sweet Potatoes (VIDEO)
Make these delicious Spicy Crockpot Sweet Potatoes for a holiday meal, and you’ll have more room in the oven for other dishes! Use Sweet Potato Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
Very early tomorrow morning I’m getting on a plane to Chicago, where I’ll be attending BlogHerFood15 (and speaking about Pinterest; are you following me there?) So things might be a little quieter than usual here for a few days, but I did want to share one more updated Thanksgiving favorite before I leave town. I made these Spicy Crockpot Sweet Potatoes with my niece Kara, and we used the new Crock-Pot Casserole Crock Slow Cooker (affiliate link). These sweet potatoes have the same seasoning as Spicy Sweet Potato Fries, the recipe that turned me into a sweet potato fan.
This shape of slow cooker worked beautifully for Spicy Crockpot Sweet Potatoes (and the casserole crock can go in the oven, so we browned the sweet potatoes a little bit when they were done) but any large oval slow cooker will work. And did we ever love this recipe! I butter since it’s a Thanksgiving recipe, and Kara and I both devoured it when we tasted the results. Give this a test run before Thanksgiving and see if you can save oven space by making slow cooker sweet potatoes for the big day.
And if you’re really a sweet potato fan, there’s a whole collection of Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Recipes on Slow Cooker from Scratch, or check out Favorite Healthy Sweet Potato Recipes to see more of my favorite dishes that use sweet potatoes!
This is a holiday sweet potato recipe that anyone can enjoy, even if you’re dieting or restricting sugar for health reasons. If you want a recipe that’s vegan, just omit the optional butter and this will still be delicious. And I strongly suggest doubling or tripling the spice mixture, because you’ll want to be making this recipe or Spicy Sweet Potato Fries over and over once you’ve tried them.
By the way, these orange sweet potatoes are not yams, even though that’s probably what your grocery store is calling them!
How to Make Spicy CrockPot Sweet Potatoes:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- Peel about 4 pounds of orange sweet potatoes and cut them into pieces about 1-2 inches square.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with olive oil and the spice mixture.
- Spray your slow cooker with non-stick spray and spread the sweet potatoes out, dotting with a little butter if desired.
- Cook on high until the sweet potatoes are soft (about 3 hours) then mash slightly.
- You can brown them for 15-20 minutes in a 450F/220C oven if desired, but that’s optional. (Be sure your slow cooker insert can go in the oven.)
More Holiday-Worthy and Healthy Recipes for Sweet Potatoes:
Sweet Potato Gratin ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Lentil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Sweet Potatoes ~ A Couple Cooks
Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Mushrooms ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Coconut-Spiced Sweet Potato Casserole ~ Jeanette’s Healthy Living
Sweet Potato Appetizer Bites with Feta ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
- 4 lb. orange-fleshed sweet potatoes (4 large or 5 medium sweet potatoes, often called yams or sweet yams in U.S. stores)
- 2-3 T olive oil, divided
- non-stick spray for crockpot
- 1 T sweet potato spice mix, divided (see below)
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- sea salt to taste (I used a sea salt grinder)
- 2-3 T butter to add to the top of the sweet potatoes (optional, use more or less to taste)
Sweet Potato Spice Mix:
- 2 T ground coriander
- 1 T ground fennel
- 1 T dried oregano
- 1 T Aleppo Pepper (or use a smaller amount of cayenne pepper)
- 2 T kosher salt
- Grind the herbs together with a mortar and pestle or spice grinder, then mix in the salt.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into pieces about 1-2 inch square.
- Put sweet potatoes into a large bowl and toss with 1 T olive oil and 1 tsp. spice mix. Add another tablespoon of olive oil and another teaspoon of spice mix and toss again.
- Then one more time, add a tablespoon (or less) of olive oil and another teaspoon of spice mix and toss again. (Please don't get lazy and add the olive oil and spice mix all at once or the sweet potatoes won't get evenly coated with the mixture.
- Spray inside of slow cooker with non-stick spray or olive oil.
- Put sweet potatoes in crockpot, spreading them out in a single layer as much as you can, and dotting with a little butter if desired.
- Cook on high, stirring a couple of times and pouring off any water that accumulates under the lid.
- Sweet potatoes are done when they're completely softened and fragrant, about 3 hours.
- Mash slightly if desired, and season to taste with fresh ground black pepper and sea salt.
- At this point you can brown the sweet potatoes a little in a pre-heated 450F/220C oven for 15-20 minutes. We did think that gave good results, but it's totally optional. (Make sure your slow cooker insert can go in the oven.)
- Serve hot, dotted with a little more butter if desired.
- Make Ahead Tips: Sweet potatoes can be cut and mixed with olive oil and seasoning earlier in the day. Cooked sweet potatoes could be kept in the crockpot on low or warm for a few hours if needed.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 310Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 1900mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 7gSugar: 21gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Spicy Crockpot Sweet Potatoes like this are not low in carbs, but they are low-glycemic and would be a great option for phase 2 or 3 of the South Beach Diet (with approved butter substitute if you’re following the letter of the law), and sweet potatoes are considered to be a good-carb for many types of Carb-Conscious eating plans. Of course for a higher-carb ingredient like this, eating a smaller portion will reduce the amount of carbs!
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click to see Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!