Low-Carb Southwestern Turkey (or Beef) Collards Wraps
Low-Carb Southwestern Turkey (or Beef) Collards Wraps have perfectly seasoned ground turkey (or ground beef) cooked with chopped collards, red bell pepper, and green chiles, then wrapped inside a collard leaf and served with avocado and lime. Use Lettuce Wraps to see more recipes like this one!
How do you feel about collard greens? They’re something I never cooked with before I was a food blogger, and then they got on my radar with Hopping John Soup and I discovered I really liked the slightly sweet flavor of collards. Since then I’ve made only three recipes with collards, but thoroughly enjoyed them all.
Then about a year ago I started to see collard greens used to wrap around various fillings; think of it as a more nutritious version of a lettuce wrap. Oh yes, I loved this idea and when I was cooking with my nephew Jake recently we let our creative cooking imagination go wild and these Low-Carb Southwestern Turkey (or Beef) Collard Wraps were the happy result.
Jake and I both loved the flavors in these spicy collard wraps, and the recipe is Low-Carb, Gluten-Free, and Paleo (without the Spike Seasoning if you’re strictly Paleo), so I hope it will work for a lot of people who want a more nutritious low-carb wrap. If you’ve never tried collard greens, this recipe might inspire you to give them a try, but you could definitely serve the spicy turkey or ground beef mixture over lettuce too if there are family members who turn their nose up at the idea of collards.
Dice up red bell pepper and saute in a little oil until it’s tender-crisp. While the peppers cook, trim and wash collards leaves and pat dry. Slice up 2 more collard leaves and coarsely chop them; dice the avocado and toss with lime juice.
Remove the red pepper from the pan, add more oil as needed, and saute the ground turkey or beef; then add the diced green chiles, taco seasoning, Spike seasoning and water and let cook until the water has almost all evaporated. Add cooked red peppers and chopped collards and cook about 3 minutes more.
To eat, put one-eighth of the meat mixture inside a collard leaf and top with some of the avocado. Serve with more cut limes to squeeze on at the table, which I didn’t manage to get into the photo. Enjoy!
More Lettuce Wraps or Collard Wraps You Might Like:
Delicious Low-Carb and Keto Wraps with Lettuce, Collards, and Cabbage ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
The BEST Instant Pot Lettuce Wraps ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Turkey Picadillo Lettuce Wraps ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Curried Chicken Tacos with Avocado Crema ~ Healthy Nibbles and Bits
Asian Lettuce Cups (or wraps) with Spicy Ground Turkey Filling ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
The BEST Slow Cooker or Instant Pot Lettuce Wraps ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Low-Carb Southwestern Turkey (or Beef) Collards Wraps
These Low-Carb Southwestern Turkey (or Beef) Collards Wraps feature perfectly seasoned ground turkey or ground beef wrapped inside a collard leaf and served with avocado and lime.
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced medium
- 10 large collard greens, divided
- 2 avocados, diced into chunks
- 2 T fresh-squeezed lime juice (see notes)
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey (or use ground beef if you prefer)
- 2-3 tsp. olive oil (depending on your pan)
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green Anaheim chiles with juice
- 1 T Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning or your favorite brand
- 2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (or use any all-purpose seasoning blend; Spike Seasoning is not Paleo so substitute if needed)
- 1/2 cup water
- additional cut limes to squeeze on at the table
- Dice up the red bell pepper into pieces about 1/4 inch square.
- Heat 1-2 teaspoons olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and saute the red pepper until it’s tender-crisp, about 4 minutes. (I used my favorite Green Pan, which didn’t need much oil.)
- While the peppers cook, trim and wash 8 large collards leaves and pat dry with paper towels.
- Slice up 2 more collard leaves (removing the stems if they’re large) and coarsely chop the sliced collards.
- Remove seed from avocado, dice the avocado and toss it with with lime juice.
- Remove the red pepper from the pan and set aside, add a little more oil as needed, and saute the ground turkey over medium-high heat until it’s nicely browned, breaking apart with a metal turner as it cooks.
- Then add the diced green chiles with juice, Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning, Spike Seasoning, and water, stir together gently, turn heat to medium-low, and let the mixture cook until the water has almost all evaporated.
- When most of the water is gone, add the cooked red peppers and chopped collards and cook about 3 minutes more, until the collards are slightly wilted.
- To serve, fill each collard leaf with about one-eighth of the turkey mixture and top with some diced avocado.
- Serve with some cut limes to squeeze on at the table.
This recipe created by Kalyn and Jake.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Low-Carb Southwestern Turkey (or Beef) Collards Wraps would be great for any phase of the South Beach Diet or Low-Carb eating plans, and they’re also Paleo if you replace the Spike Seasoning with an approved seasoning blend. For low-carb diet plans you might prefer higher-fat ground beef for this recipe.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.