Quick Roasted Broccoli with Soy Sauce and Sesame Seeds (Video)
Quick Roasted Broccoli with Soy Sauce and Sesame Seeds is an amazing side dish, and this perfect broccoli recipe is low-carb, Keto, low-glycemic, gluten-free, and vegan. Use Side Dishes to find more recipes like this one.
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make
Quick Roasted Broccoli with Soy Sauce and Sesame Seeds!
I think anyone who’s trying to follow some kind of healthier eating plan needs to have a good collection of vegetable side dishes in their recipe collection, and this Quick Roasted Broccoli with Soy Sauce and Sesame Seeds is a recipe I’ve been making for years. Like so many of my favorites from the early days of this blog, it had a photo that was pretty unremarkable, so when I made it recently I decided to give the recipe a photo makeover!
I love broccoli, and I think one reason broccoli is so popular (well, with most people) is that it tastes pretty good no matter how you prepare it. You can eat it raw, boil, steam, stir-fry, or roast it, and unless it’s completely overcooked, broccoli will taste pretty good.
But even though a lot of cooking methods for broccoli will work, I think roasting broccoli concentrates the flavor in the best possible way. This batch of broccoli turned out so well that I ate nearly a pound of it and called it dinner. It was also so easy to make and so diet-friendly, I knew after one bite this recipe would be a hit with anyone who tried it. (And don’t throw away those broccoli stems either!)
Broccoli will cook pretty quickly when it’s roasted at 450 F, and I turned the broccoli pieces over after 10 minutes and the broccoli was perfectly tender-crisp and just starting to brown on the edges after exactly 15 minutes. Trust me, you WANT to make this version of roasted broccoli. And if you’re already a roasted veggie fan, check out more roasted vegetable ideas after the recipe.
I think this roasted broccoli sounds perfect for a Meatless Monday meal! If you want more meatless recipes, you might might want to follow my Meatless Monday Pinterest Board, which has ideas from Kalyn’s Kitchen and some of my favorite food blogs. I also have a great board for Best Low-Carb Meatless Recipes like this one; check it out!
Trim and cut up enough broccoli to make one pound of bite-sized broccoli pieces. Whisk together the olive oil, soy sauce (or coconut aminos), and sesame oil, then put the broccoli pieces in a bowl and toss with that mixture. Spread broccoli out on a baking sheet that you’ve sprayed with non-stick spray.
Bake in a pre-heated 450F/220C oven for 10 minutes. While the broccoli bakes, toast the sesame seeds for a minute or two, until they barely start to brown. After 10 minutes I took the pan of broccoli out of the oven and quickly turned the broccoli over, then put it back in the oven for 5 minutes more. It’s done when the broccoli is starting to brown but is still slightly tender-crisp.
Arrange the broccoli on a serving plate and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve hot.
Make it a Meal:
More Roasted Vegetables from Kalyn’s Kitchen:
Roasted Broccoli with Garlic
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts
Roasted Cauliflower with with Lemon, Curry, and Cumin
Greek Style Roasted Mushrooms with Red Pepper, Oregano, Mint, and Feta
Roasted Baby Summer Squash with Feta and Thyme
Quick Roasted Broccoli with Soy Sauce and Sesame Seeds
Quick Roasted Broccoli with Soy Sauce and Sesame Seeds is an amazing side dish.
- 1 lb. fresh broccoli florets (see trimming instructions)
- 1 1/2 T olive oil
- 1 T soy sauce, gluten-free if needed
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 T sesame seeds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 450F/220C.
- Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick spray. (Use the biggest one you have.)
- Cut broccoli into pieces about 2 inches long.
- Then cut through stems just to where florets start, and break apart so broccoli is in same-sized pieces. (This method of cutting through the stems and then breaking the broccoli apart also eliminates the mess when you cut broccoli and small bits fall off.)
- Whisk together the olive oil, soy sauce or coconut aminos, and sesame oil.
- Place broccoli in plastic mixing bowl and toss well that mixture.
- Arrange the broccoli in a single layer on baking sheet. I like to make sure any flat sides are touching the baking sheet for the best browning.
- Roast 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, stir or turn broccoli pieces over and then continue roasting 5 minutes more, or until broccoli is tender-crisp and slightly browned on the edges. (The step of turning it over is only to get more even browning; you can roast it without turning if you prefer.)
- While broccoli roasts, toast sesame seeds in a dry pan over very high heat for 30-60 seconds.
- When broccoli is done, arrange on serving dish and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve hot.
You can use coconut aminos for Paleo or Whole 30 version of this recipe.
Recipe created by Kalyn with cooking temperature inspiration from November 2007 Fine Cooking Magazine article about roasting vegetables.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Quick Roasted Broccoli with Soy Sauce and Sesame Seeds is a perfect side dish for any phase of the South Beach Diet and would also be approved for most any low-glycemic or low-carb eating plan.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.